Paraphonic Mode for A4/AK?

It technically already is with the sub oscillator @ a 5th tuning and both oscillators of a single patch tuned to create a triad or am I missing something ?[/quote]
I guess the point is being to be able to play the oscillators independently using the keyboard or by locking multiple notes on a trig.

1 Like

Yeah, for playing live instead of p-locking. What I mean is the ability to take only one of the four voices/tracks, and have it become a 4-note-poly, single oscillator sound that share the same envelope and filter. This would allow much more flexibility than p-locking; any type of four note chord could be played, and the notes wouldn’t necessarily need to be triggered at the same time… basically, what the Waldorf Pulse 2, or the Volca Keys offers.

Only Elektron would know for sure but I don’t see how it would be possible to do anything more than individually tune the Oscillators to play a chord. Any more than that and it’s going to need to borrow a voice from another channel, because I think the Oscillator stage is summed per channel before it hits the filter and amp. I suppose it might be possible to implement a paraphonic mode the way the Pulse 2 and Volka Keys do, which is limited to a divide down PWM wave, but I don’t think it’s likely given that it already has fully polyphony.

I think a lot of people like to use the A4/AK to create whole tracks inside the box. It’d really help to be able to do something like use one track for percussion, one for bass, one for lead, and the last one do some paraphonic stuff. Maybe be able to use two tracks to do 8-note paraphonic stuff while the last 2 voices are left to do a unison sound… idk, just sounds like it could be a really cool feature; I’d use the Hell out of it.

Old topic but I think we can emulate paraphony controlling OSC 1 and OSC 2 with a midi processor like Event Processor +, modifying notes to CCs 16 / 48 in order to control independently the OScs.
If somedy is interested in, I can try it.

1 Like

Ok I succeeded to play 2 different notes with one voice, using a midi keyboard, Midipal and Event Processor Plus.
Now I have to make it 8 notes with 4 voices…

5 Likes

It works ! I have 8 different oscs with 4 voices. Really great pads ! :heart_eyes:

It was quite hard to program with EP+ it but it is doable with an update, as I only use midi. :no_mouth:

I split 8 notes to 8 midi channel with midipal, channel 1-2 are for voice 1, 3-4 voice 2, etc…
I convert note on to CC Waveform 0, note off to CC Waveform Off, note numbers to CC coarse tune of OSC1 for even midi channels, OSC2 for odd channels…:relieved::sleeping:

7 Likes

That’s cool. I think Elektron should unleash the potential so you can do it from the box.

3 Likes

Yes that’d be great. 4 notes per voice would be fantastic.
A least one Sub OSC could be used I think.

I didn’t find how to use Sub OSC because OSC1 and 2 coarse tuning in related to a note, so I use only one note to refer.
I don’t know why I can’t record this too…

1 Like

Actually I can record it but I have to press twice stop and then play to hear it.
Any explanation ?

I need to hear this and see it please

No problem, come to see me in France !

I wanted to make a video for OT slices external midi control before and I’ll be busy, but I’d like to share the things I can do with midi processors when there’s a lack of functionality in a midi gear.

I thought subs were independent but they aren’t.
I don’t understand why they chose 5th instead of 4th for subs. Have to transpose coarse tune - 5 or +7 to have a 5th.

Quick demo with 8 Oscs.

8 Likes

Friends,

First, sorry if this has been posted before. It’s about getting paraphonic sequences out of the Analog Four, sort of tricking it into becoming an eight voice synth. Well, not really, but kind of.

I’ve had the Analog Four MKII over the weekend, and it occured to me that due to parameter locks, each of the two oscillators per voice can be individually tuned per step, but also altered in volume to give the idea that they’re not always playing at the same time - creating an idea of paraphonic sequencing, considering each oscillator an independent voice with certain common traits that come with paraphony anyway.

So I set up a sixteen step pattern to try this out. I set OSC1 to a good old fashioned triangle and OSC2 to your classic sawtooth. I tuned them both to +0 and set them to Volume 100. And off I went.

For each step, I then did one or several of the following:
Nothing - just triggered a note, letting them play as usual. This is the normal way.

Tuned one of the oscillators to a different pitch - say OSC2 to +5, essentially giving me a two-note chord
or
Tuned them both - OSC1 to -2 and OSC to +5, also giving me a chord - but a different one

Turning down the volume to zero - say OSC2 to zero volume, thereby leaving OSC1, my dear little fragile triangle sound, to say play a brief lead over a few steps - and then bring in OSC2 and the saw again
or
The other way around - turn down OSC1 to zero, just let OSC1 play and even pitch it down -12, to give it a thunder bass solo before I bring in OSC1 again.

Essentially, using one Analog Four voice as the Duo mode on the Sub37, or the Paraphonic mode on the Circuit Mono Station or the Pro2, which means that musically, I can actually work with eight voices, not just four.

Obviously, the limitations of paraphony are there - but even so, the fact that I can tune each oscillator per step as well as work with the volumes to switch them on and off, gives me an extremely flexible palette for composition, not entirely but kind of an eight voice analog synth, as far as compositions go.

Now, if you apply this line of thought to the Performance mode, just imagine the variations in harmony and composition you can make with just one sixteen step pattern, tuning the oscillators around independent of each other, as well as the volumes. You could build bass lines, leads and unison sequences and switch these around in pitch and transitions by just applying tuning and volume to the performancs macros.

I’ve given this a go today and it works like a charm, though it’s a bit messy so it’s gonna take awhile to get used to it. But it works, and it’s stupid powerful.

7 Likes

Ah, I see due to this merge by @avantronica that I was late to the paraphonic party.

Well, all the better that this feature was already uncovered by people smarter than me.

1 Like

You got me to see it and know I’m gonna use this trick on my Little Phatty!

1 Like

If I reached just one person, the effort was still worth it😊

2 Likes

loopop got it with a midi device …

1 Like

Yeah Bomebox seems interesting too.
But this hack is only for 2 paraphonic voices per track, with keyboard split, and the second note depends on the first one.

With EPP and Midipal I can play 4x2 individual paraphonic voices at the same time, anywhere on a keyboard.

3 Likes