Parameter Lock ... in Ableton Live & Push

If you are using Live via mouse and computer keyboard, it is easy to have Elektron style parameter locks.

It is not necessary to “duplicate tracks and delete clips/notes/steps”, simply use the envelope editor.

When you have “linked” selected in the envelope editor it shows where the notes are located so it is easy to extend modulation until the next note occurs.

1 Like

A parameter lock is cancelled by the next occurring event in Elektron boxes so I don’t understand what you mean by “note to Trail out”.

Also when you do it per step?

My bad, I guess I misunderstood Elektron’s way of parameter locking/automation. I thought it was more Magical than it actually is. Per step is great, but I thought that you could do something like this for example: p-lock the reverb for a step in a track and let it trail out over the next step without affecting it. Like there would be created individual automation lanes for each step when you did it that way. But I guess that’s just wishful thinking hehe.

is there some sort of auto-allign to stick your enveloppe to the timing of the midi notes or the warp points easilly? (usefull in case you don’t quantize your notes to the grid)
Can the enveloppes dots or segments can be “hard linked” to the notes or is this only a visualisation trick?

something like this would be helpful.

I would love to have an easy way to sort of “quantize” and “legato” my enveloppes :

• to the closet midi note on / note off messages in case of midi.
  • to the warp points in case of audio.

without having to rely on the time grid.

Would help to reach something more similar to the elektron all mighty musical p-locking paradigm!

Well the true purpose of the "linked/unlinked" function in the envelope window is to allow a modulation envelope to have either the same loop length as the notes clip (linked) or have a totally independent loop (unlinked). A note clip can have associated linked and unlinked envelopes.

A by-product of "linked" is that it visually shows note positions in the background of an envelope window. This allows you to easily apply modulation with regard to note position. Also, the envelope has a visual time signature grid, which will be the same as the note clip, and using "draw mode" it is easy to apply quantised modulation.

You can draw a modulation envelope any way you want to match with note positions (e.g. start fractionally later than the note or change value over the duration of a note). However, if you subsequently change note positions the envelope will not be changed to match the new note positions.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarification.
I Wonder if a M4L device or an other Daw (like Bitwig?) is able to generate and hardlink per-note enveloppe rather than time grid based enveloppe. would be great

If you are speaking of standard MIDI how should that work? All you have are CCs and these CCs are shared for all notes on a given channel.

1 Like

i don’t know …
maybe something inspired by note choke groups?
some clever dynamic eveloppe VS CCs allocation?

i don’t know i don’t know i don’t know idt :exploding_head:

Hi, just saw j74 steplocker.
http://fabriziopoce.com/steplocker.html
which seem to provide step locks similar to the octatrack.

If You want you can throw it across multiple midi tracks and use each instance along with live’s multi midi track editor, and send evrything to a MpE host.
though it seem not usable with push I guess

Didn’t looked any further, I have to sleep!
Cheers

1 Like