Parameter Lock ... in Ableton Live & Push

Hi, I just love the parameter lock function on the elektrons.
And I wish Ableton Live to have the same function.
On the push controller you can set just a tiny amount of parameters per note, or you have to do normal modulation … that’s not the same thing! Arghh

Please ableton live 10, fix this !!!

or does anybody else have another option? I know there is a max4live plugin but it seems not so fun … i dont know. I hate looking at my screen.

anybody has other options?

You could set almost every automatable parameter in Live through the Push sequencer. They must be inspired by Elektron since it’s press, hold and turn. To get access to the parameters to automate you need to switch to the device view on Push - but everything there can be “parameter locked”.

12 Likes

Yes i know but its still “step” lock and not “note” lock. It’s not as fast and intuitive as elektron. You first need to mapp the parameters you want to lock? It’s been a year though that I havent touched ableton :smiley: Could have changed

On push 2 its so easy i don’t even think about it!

5 Likes

There is virtually nothing you can’t do with Ableton and push, even more so if you have max 4 live. There are no limits

2 Likes

I really need to learn ableton/push/max better… Barely touched it since I got it (price was too good to let it slip by…). Had a few sessions on it and seemed promising/useful especially as I don’t have hardware drum machine. And the slicing/simpler is very cool.

Minor gripe was the soft buttons on push kinda bug me. Major gripe is Ableton is prehistoric in terms of track lanes/comping features. I use that a lot in Sonar. And Push doesn’t work as rewire slave :frowning: Means I have to run two daws/sessions and switch between them depending on what part I’m recording/editing :frowning:

Also midi sync stuff with OT was sketchy in brief attempts. Need to try again and fiddle round with settings people have recommended. Sonar’s rock solid with OT sync so it was frustrating for ableton to not just ‘work’.

Have a feeling if I fully learn it I’d be pretty set tho… Just trying to find the time.

1 Like

Midi rock solid for me all round with Ableton/Push2/Max

2 Likes

What Ableton really needs is a way to fold the melodic step sequencer on Push so that you only see the active notes, instead of needing to scroll through the entire thing to find the one note you want to alter. If they did this, it would be much more manageable and closer to the simplicity of the Elektron workflow. I’m pretty pleased with Push 2, but this is definitely one of the biggest continuing irritations I have with it.

2 Likes

I need to check it out properly when I have some longer time and less tired/more patience… Could easily just have been user error/teething problems.

Have you sent feature request in on it? Maybe hit Tarekith up on here? Seem to remember reading he was working there now?

1 Like

Nowp :smiley: did not. Lets do that :stuck_out_tongue:
I had the push, sold it and bought a push 2. Have not played with it since :smiley:

1 Like

I haven’t contacted support about it, but I have mentioned it to Tarekith at some point and started a thread on the Live forum about it: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=219444

2 Likes

It can be done, but while in Elektron a parameter lock will sustain till the next note trig in Push it literally lasts that step, so to get something very similar you need to extend the parameter lock in push empty steps until the next note trig and even then they don’t sound exactly the same.

Anyone agrees or has been able to manage exactly the same effect?

1 Like

I love the drum programing. Also love it as a midi controller for my external gear. The pads are so responsive, I usually use it to play my melodies and record the phrase into my MnM. Then do my p’locking on the MnM. :elmm:

3 Likes

I love it too. Didn’t like the first push too much but push2 is amazing. Inspirational for me… But yes, the melodic step sequencer is not very usable, two much jumping between the octaves. The p-locks work very well for me, never thought about step vs note lock.

1 Like

Now where talking. :smile: You agree this is less fun and intuitive this way then the note parameter lock on elektron?

I moan about this all the time. Live and Push 2 are aaaalmost there. They really do need to come up with a way to make p-locking on a note basis, not step. Extending the steps helps, but nowhere near as nice as Elektron’s note method. Ableton should maybe have a checkbox in Preferences where a user can choose the type of p-locking - step or note. Or maybe switch it up via a button on Push.

If Live 10 comes with note-based p-locking, comping features, a good native drum synth (really just expanding on the max4live drum synths), and something like Reason’s Blocks for quick rearranging of sequences in the arrangement view… wow. Dear Santa Claus…

3 Likes

IIRC (I apologise but I am not in front of my Push2 atm) in the note sequencer for notes longer than one “step” you can select the start point with one finger and then end point with another and then change automation - which then applies to the whole range of “steps” covered by the note. In order to make it more elektron-like I guess that what you’d really want is not per-note automation but automation that “starts at the selected sequencer step and automatically ends when a new note trigger is found the sequencer”. But in Live automation and midi notes live in 2 separate logical layers independent from each other - i.e. automation is not affected by the underlying MIDI notes and vice-versa. So I don’t think that will ever become possible (automation would need to adapt itself as new notes are added/removed after it has been applied…) - and personally I like it the way it is better.
With Push, if you want to apply the same automation (or a different automation) to N sequencer steps (with or without notes in them) you simply select each step, apply whatever automation, move to the next, do the same or something different etc. In a way it is more flexible that having automation that is bound to stop when the next note trigger is encountered by the sequencer (as in the Elektron boxes), but both approaches have their +/- of course. They are at the end of the day just slightly different workflows - but both can be leveraged creatively in they own context.

1 Like

Well. If you would treat Live/Push like OT - i.e every track is monophonic. Then Push would also be per note, rather than per step.

2 Likes

@CarlMikaelBjork

I’m not quite sure I understand what you mean.

All I know is, when I p-lock something on a step in Push, the effect or whatever is cut off sharply when it reaches the next step in the sequence. On an Elektron device, the effect or whatever is allowed to decay naturally, even when reaching the next step in the sequence. Make sense? I’ve always had trouble describing this.

I realize it’s just the way automation envelopes work in Ableton, but I wish they could find a way to make things more Elektron-like when it comes to p-locking in the step sequencer. Maybe it would just take making a separate device, like a max4live step sequencer, that you interact with using Push, to get closer to the Elektron way.

1 Like