Panning issue

It’s taken me until today to realise that I am unable to pan sounds. I feel like I must be doing something wrong as surely I can’t have a fault with stereo.

I can’t pan any tracks, either from the Preset project or a new project. Stereo Audio in is mono too. This happens with any headphones or monitors.

Any ideas?

Sounds odd, so to rule out issues with any other routing possibilities

In a new project, with just the headphones connected (checking okay on another device first) and you select track 8 e.g. ( it’s a short clear sound) - send to the delay and then tweak the delay to have pingpong and max width you get no pingpong ??

Obviously you’ve been trying the Track Pan (and you’re not auditioning through OB or anything like that) and it’s been no good ? Strange indeed, sorry i see you tried multiple headphones, but i’m suggesting to confirm it’s only headphones connected, no midi, no usb, nothing . Might be worth doing a Factory Reset from the startup menu before contacting support, if it persists that is

3 Likes

Factory reset
New project
Headphones tested on AK and Blackbox

Ping pong Delay on track 8 - no panning.

If I run the audio out to the Blackbox audio in the L&R levels meter exactly the same on both channels. Strangely if I pan full left or right the signal drops by 3db on both channels.

Must be a hardware issue. I don’t have much luck with the digi format. My previous DT had 2 visits to Sweden for hardware issues.

Thanks for the sanity check.

3 Likes

Ouch - quite a buzzkiller right there ! Hope it resolves quick for you

I was having the same problem running the Syntakt into the Digitakt inputs. I then noticed that my Digitakt ins were not panned hard left and hard right. This solved it for me. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I just today noticed the same issue, im running mine into Live via overbridge and looking at the input monitoring through it and I don’t see it panning at all… to make it more interesting and why I don’t think its a hardware issue is that the pan does show up in the FX tracks. So say if you take a track and max out the reverb you will see (and hear) the pan in the verb.

Edit: I should say Reverb/Delay tracks since the FX track is different on the ST.

Can you pan a single track or sound left or right?

I can’t. The pan visual shows it panned but the sound is straight down the middle.

Support advised that it is likely to be a potentiometer issue.

1 Like

Exact same behavior here, try taking the sound full wet with the reverb though and you will hear it in the reverb track. If its dry and I pan to either side like you I see it but don’t hear it, nor does my visual check via Abelton show any change.

I don’t use OB so only have the main outs or headphones.

I need to send it back but can’t be bothered at the minute as the retailer is waiting on stock.

1 Like

Not saying you shouldn’t send it back but I would bet its a bug as opposed to a hardware issue. I’m going to send a bug report, however who knows how long it will take to be patched.

But a bug would affect every device and surely they’d know by now.

I’d be grateful if someone else with a Syntakt could check if they can pan any sounds.

fair point, I would think a hardware issue would impact the Reverb as well due to how things are routed. Not in front of the manual though right now so I can’t confirm.

1 Like

On the routing diagram in the manual pan is right before the effect sends. Here is a bit more of an oddity, if its routed through the AFX you will also hear the pan however its still mono on the main track. If you are just going stereo out you could in theory route everything through the AFX, but that is just a bandaid for something that should be working.

I just checked it with a couple of sounds and panning works for me as expected.

1 Like

make sure your tracks aren’t routed through the AFX track, because it may appear as if it is working as expected when it isn’t.

I tried it on a freshly initialized project without any routing into the fx track

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation.

1 Like

It’s mono out for the individual tracks due to their inherent nature and down to the location of the ADC on the analog tracks

Completely normal for OB and some other similarly analog Elektrons

1 Like

Makes sense and it was something I was curious about. I guess I just never noticed it on my old AR or A4, probably because panning was working on the two of them. Thanks.

1 Like

Just had the exact ame problem as I’ve just rerouted all my gear through each other and removed my mixer.

A42 > ST > DT > AH2

Noticed panning stopped working. Only the DT was panning into the AH. Then went to the 3rd Mixer page on the DT (I had to turn off sampler monitor in Recorder) then I could see page 3/3 and was able to select Dual Mono and hard pan left and right and then the two upstream boxes started panning fine. Simple when you know how I guess :+1:

1 Like