Pads often acting weird on startup

I have had my rytm for a month now. Lately I have often noticed that when I first turn my rytm on and go to mute mode the pads are not working as they should be. When I mute one instrument some other nearby ones may get muted too and when I unmute some instruments another one near that pad may get unmuted too… Once I have muted and unmuted each instrument individually this problem seems to go away and everything is working fine, but it’s getting a bit annoying.

I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem or if this is normal behaviour or should I return this piece of gear? This was a b-stock product but Thomann had checked out that it works fine.

Actually, yes! WTF.

I have the exact same problem.
Only that it happens more randomly on my unit, not only after power up.
It only happens in mute mode, if i switch to a different mode the pads behave normal.

I guess it’s a bug then and not some physical problem with the pads, which is what I was hoping. I need to try out too wether it only happens on the mute mode. I’m thinking about resetting the factory settings and upgrading my Rytm again to 1.30. Because I also have problems with Overbridge. It claims that I don’t have 1.30 OS even though I do.

I am on my second unit now with the same issues, pads trigger ok in trig mode, but mute and track choose mode is problematic with pads, especially in the corners.

gonna return again, i need my mutes to be reliable or its no use in a live situation…

I have this when AR is receiving external midi and 2 pads share the same midi channel. Don’t know if it’s supposed to be like this. In my case it’s not a big issue.

Maybe that’s what’s causing the problems you guys are having?

I don’t have any device sending midi to AR and it’s so random that it can’t be a feature. Sometimes I don’t have the problem for a long time and then it comes again like every time I turn it on. I also caught this problem on video, here it is: https://youtu.be/ksrl9j1lIJM

Usually it’s on the left bottom cornenr but sometims elsewhere too. Factory reset didn’t help so it must be a physical problem.

I see. Perhaps 1.30 needs a little ironing out on a few details. I’m also encountering strange behaviour sometimes and also mostly on the lower tracks. Good luck

absolutely looks that way 100%

if it is, then it shouldn’t matter if you do it on an empty pattern, that’s if it’s physical, did you try and definitely disconnect all other devices when trying

another thing to do is spy on the midi i/o if you know how to, just to see if it’s also reflected there

Mine did this. I had to get the unit replaced as it was a hardware fault.

2 Likes

Yes there were no devices connected to it, I usually use it on its own. I don’t know how to spy midi i/o. But now I have however contacted Thomann and I’m hoping to get it fixed or replaced, as a few others here have had theirs replaced too for the same reason. Thank you all for your replays and I will update here how the fixing/replacing process goes. :slight_smile:

If you’re on OSX you can use a utility like this, very handy tool to install anyway
https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Hope your repair/replace issue works out well

1 Like

I got the RYTM last week, and am experiencing the same issue. When I first power up, changing tracks and muting behaves strangely, sometimes the pad next to the one I’m tapping lights up and I won’t be able to activate the pad I’m tapping on.

The strange this is that when the machine has been running for about a minute or so, the problem seems to disappear. If I shut the machine off and turn it on after a few seconds I don’t see the problem.

If however I leave the machine off for several hours, the problem reappears and then disappears after a bit of use.

It makes me think this is a software issue, or some kind of “cold start” issue, but not sure how that would even be possible.

That sounds excatly like my problem. Maybe some part get larger when they warm up and then there is no issue. If i power it up many times a day there’s no problem but if it’s powered after many days it behaves in a weird way. The problem indeed disappears after a little playing and pushing all the pads. I’ve now returned my device and I’m still waiting for thomanns reply to see what they have got to say about that.

1 Like

I’d be curious to know what you all found out. I have the same problem here.
Only had the RYTM for four days, the bd pad is unusable and general crazyness for the first ten minutes or so.
Looks like they have a quality control issue.

That video, is the exact problem i have but with other pads triggering and sometimes even 2 pads farther away that respond.

Still waiting on news from Elektron or the store i bought it from…

slowly losing my patience with it after more then 4 weeks with this though…

Any official word from Elektron about this? Is it hardware or software?

My previous RYTM didn’t have this issue, but that was an earlier OS.

I"m still waiting for my Rytm to get returned from repair. It’s been two months now and I haven’t heard a word what’s going on with it. I’m getting frustrated. But once I hear from it or get it back I might know something more. Annoying problem and annoyong to be without Rytm!

GRRRRRR… New Elektronaut here, and I though it was my noobishness that was causing it… I notice that when I’m in mute mode and I hit, say HT8 that it won’t mute but something like CY11 will mute… Or vice versa… have not put in enough time to develop a pattern of behavior, but I’m kinda bummed as it sounds like it’s not me doing it…

If it helps, this is a new unit from a “real” retailer that already had 1.3 installed.

Should I send it back to retailer for a replacement? It seems that if every one they sell was doing this the boards would be going nuts… So is it just luck of the draw with bad QC?

Did you ever get a response from anyone?