Pads often acting weird on startup

I’ve twice asked the retailer what the situation is and they have promised to get back to me once they know. So far I’ve got no more information… I’m disappointd with the service. A customer should not be let waiting 2 months and give no further information. I don’t even know if it’s sent back to the manufacturer or what.

And mine was an older once since I had to upgrade to 1.3 myself. Maybe it’s a quality control issue then.

Ouch. Why didn’t you send to Elektron directly? If I’m gonna have to deal with a retailer, and I have an issue, I’m expecting him to make it right immediately… That’s what he gets his margin for.

That means an exchange or refund. Otherwise I should just buy direct from the OEM.

The retailer provides a three year warranty so the natural thing was to first contact them. And they said they would repair it there or send to Elektron if needed.

This retailer is located in a different country so I had to send the gear to another country (free postage though) but next time I’ll go to a local store when I get new gear so that returning/repairing etc would hopefully be easier and faster.

…SNIP…

Spoke too early. Played with it this morning. Problem still there… E- responded to a support ticket. They had a bad batch of pads… Bummer… Back it goes…

Though not that specific issue, may have anecdotally commented that the pads bed in - or more likely we adjust to their firmness - the feather touch toggling of mutes etc was not 100% consistent for me, you have to push a little bit harder than feather touch for consistency, but touching pad x never switched pad y - that’d be intolerable, though i’d imagine it could be resolved by giving the whole pad surface a workout

My problem almost always went away after playing for a while but then came again after the machine had been switched off for a while. Like a day or two.

I have now got a confirmation from the retailer that my Rytm has been sent back. (Message edited, because i got some false information from the retailer…). They replaced my Rytm with a new one.

My Rytm is back from repair and it seems to work! Haven’t tested much yet, but so far everything seems good!

3 Likes

Did you get any info of what the problem was (I have the same issue)? Hardware- or software based…?
Is the problem completely gone now?

I had this same problem this summer. I sent mine in for repair. However, once it arrived at Elektron HQ in LA, my RYTM refused to misbehave and they couldn’t diagnose the issue. They re-calibrated the pads for good measure and sent it back. The problem has not re-appeared. Weird.

1 Like

Mine does the same thing. Live muting is pretty much impossible. It happens when I hold the track button to switch pads when sequencing, too. I’ve just decided to live with it for now. It really doesn’t bother me much.

There is a lot of people reporting this issue around music forums, youtube etc. My concern is if this is a design flaw or not - That is to say, that the pads will become unusable after certain period of time…

With mine, it happened within six months of purchase during which it was used very little. However, I wonder if that’s the problem - that the pads become cranky if they are not played. However, as I said, mine no longer exhibits the problem - for now, anyway.

With mine, it happened about a month after I bought it. I sent it back and got a new one because it is definitely not right.

** solved ** (at least in my case)

i had the same issue: weird muting BD1+BT5 (so useless in a live environment)
so at least 2 years later i actually figured out how to solve the problem (at least my problem - but maybe it could help you guys :slight_smile: )

in the GLOBAL menu my switches are:
SYNC

• CLOCK RECEIVE: NO (<< this was the solution for my problem)
  • CLOCL SEND: YES
  • TRANSPORT RECEIVE: NO (<< this was the solution for my problem)
  • TRANSPORT SEND: YES
    PORT CONFIG: everything to INT
    CHANNELS: everything OFF, the last two PROG CH > AUTO

maybe it works for you too…
have a nice weekend!

running into this issue… I’ve seen it from time to time and it mostly centers around the clap track (CP4). nearby track mutes will turn it on/off, and vice-versa. now, oddly, it’s the closed hat track that’s mis-behaving (CH9) but only when CP4 is muted. weird! I tried the above options, but it didn’t make a difference. I think it’s hardware, not software. I am, however, running an older OS. so I’ll update to the latest one and see if that makes a difference (guessing not).

This is a hardware issue. Elektron support will tell you as much. I believe it’s because the membrane underneath the pads is misaligned. You’ll have to send it in for a repair.

1 Like

yep, looks like it’s got to go back to base. bummer. 4-6 weeks without it :cry: