Pace of firmware updates?

Would be nice to get some presets similiar to the machines of the model:cycles. Can’t be that hard.

1 Like

OK LoL

1 Like

The m:c also has a much lower noise ceiling, resulting in the crunchy sound you hear in many demos.

I dont think the m:c release warrants new features for the DN. I’d still like to see an update in the future if the DN dual dsp still has some juice left in it.

ahh so science is funny to you? ok

first time I add anyone to my ignore list on this board… need to start using this more often :sunglasses:

1 Like

No, I not trying to right, just my opinion so calm down,

Of course they’re not using the same code, but it doesn’t mean it is not based on the digitone code. The whole point of the model range is to build on the digis to make a more compact and affordable range of product. It doesn’t mean it’s the exact same code, but reusability of what was done before is definitely a big factor, otherwise it wouldn’t make a lot of sense economically.

I don’t get why people are getting so defensive about the model:cycles honestly. It’s an FM-based groovebox after all, same as the digitone with some modifications to make it work with the different hardware and six tracks. Which is not a bad thing, but it’s not like it came out of nowhere, especially when you listen to digitone demos out there.

3 Likes

I am not defending the m:c - it is what it is. However I do not agree that any R&D that happened for m:c would be just an easy copy/paste to get the same things running on the DN. Fruits of the R&D made for m:c might be forthcoming to the DN, not impossible, but trivial to add to DN? I dont code assembler, have never touched the DN source code, htf would I know…

If they’ve been focused on launching a new product then nobody should be surprised they haven’t also been doing an update for a similar device. The people who would work on a Digitone update have been busy, and probably concentrating on the new launch full time.

But while developing the M:C they might have come up with new ideas for optimising the DN code, or adding new features. If so, I’d expect that to get released in the near future. But complaining there hasn’t been an update just 4 days after the M:C launch seems unreasonable.

If there’s still no DN update in 6 months I’d have a bit more sympathy with your complaint.

4 Likes

Like your take on it, To be honest, at this price it’s hard not to buy,

1 Like

That’s Fair, probably being a bit hard on Elektron,

1 Like

Just think about the Digitone keys owners. What might they be thinking? :wink:
Also one of the reasons I am pretty sure the Digitone gets a couple of updates in the future.

1 Like

By reading these posts, I assume that everyone knows the structure of the Elektron Company : how many people are working there, how many teams of people there are and on which project they are working on, …

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the discussion, if they have a small team, wouldn’t it make more sense to perfect one thing before moving on to a new project, which will require more updates etc…, plus more time, would this not lead to more work and pressure on the company, probably why Overbridge took so long,

…new firmware does the trick…everywhere…
and if u ever have dealed with other brands, like akai for example, u would’nt complain…
because they really don’t catch up…

while business is business…elektron only once promised a bit too much…when it came to ob…
apart from that, they always delivered…
and part of the overall charme is…it’s kind of a global player in sonic industry, while still staying a small company…

and the model plan was a big plan for them, as a further valid company, that needed to be done on hard schedule…

so, u can be sure…once the first bug fix for cycles is done…and there is always bugfix missions left to do, for ALL brands, u can be sure the tone will get another little firmware goody…
together with a last firmware goody for the takt…
no worries…

2 Likes

They also have to maintain a profit to be able to continue paying the staff to be able to continue making said updates…New product releases help do that. It’s not like they’re churning out new products every month. Sales decline over the lifetime of a product, so new products help maintain income.

4 Likes

I hear you on Akai, and other companies, and this is what annoys me, I know we live in the world of consumerism, and business is business. I do love Elektron, and still will buy Elektron, I just hope they don’t bite off more than they can chew.

I really really really hope Elektron will never go the deluge route. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of listening to customers but to me the deluge is a perfect example of an instrument without guideline. You have to learn the instrument new every time you haven’t played with it for 2weeks.

To me Elektron devices are the perfect balance between useability and features.
They may not do everything and may not be the easiest, but they do a lot and the concept makes perfect sense…

8 Likes

I have heard the case being made the other way, That after using Deluge, they would never go back to the OT, I suppose it’s down to what works for the individual.

For sure. Find the right gear that works best for you…
that’s what I’ve learned about gear over the last years…

1 Like

Definitely “no”. Even if your software team is small, there are many more teams from very different departments involved producing a product (just to name a few generic ones: hardware, software, marketing, sales, documentations …).

None of these teams can just idle around waiting on another team to finish one product at a time. That’s simply not how the industry works (with the exception of very, very small companies which Elektron isn’t).

1 Like