Pace of firmware updates?

I have the same question that @Cepheid does, I use mine daily with no issue. Not saying you haven’t run into anything, I just haven’t had an issue.

Also I feel like, for being a beta, Overbridge is pretty solid.

4 Likes

Freezes, now and again, also sometimes the volume knob on the tracks, won’t turn down, you can see it on the screen it turns down but same volume on the output on all tracks, Once I switch it off and restart it, its OK again,

There is a thread with others bugs from users

Interesting, had mine for 2 years and have not had it freeze in an update or two. Is it random or is there usually something that causes it to freeze?

4 Likes

Random, but it’s being slaved, I don’t have any midi feedback, Maybe I am being a bit hard on Elektron, I read the bugs threads, and people are experiencing different bugs, which I have not got and hope not to get, but what you said sounds promising, no issues in 2yrs,

It’s just the Model:Cycles is really a Digitone, an update with users requests would have been nice with the launch of Cycles

I dunno. Ess gave the impression these patches are completely new and distinct from the Digitone. It certainly sounds grittier and more harsh than most anything I’ve heard come from the DN. But I’ve only ever heard demos.

1 Like

Cool.
Show me how to get 6 independent tracks of Wavetables going on a Digitone and I’ll buy you your own Model Cycles.

Perhaps this isn’t actually about bugs. Perhaps this is about your personal disappointment.

5 Likes

What bugs does the digitone have? I haven’t noticed anything with mine.

If you feel I have violated the guidelines, you may flag my post.

Your post is off topic, by the way.

Let’s get back on topic, please.

6 Likes

To be fair I have had my Digitone lock up once on me, but I consider that okay for owning it for 2 years. I believe Elektron to be a solid company that will squash as many bugs that they can with their products. In order to stay profitable and competitive, I imagine they will continue to release new products while simultaneously focusing on quality control aspects of their existing line.

I would say the M:C and Digitone share dna, but they are most definitely not the same. The tweakability of the Digitone has much more to offer than the M:C, while the Cycles should be more immediate. Polyphony would also be a task on the M:C whereas it is easy to do polyphonic lines on the Digitone.

I want an update for the Digitone as much as anybody (more scales, retrig, midi arp, etc.) and remain hopeful that Elektron will deliver at least 1 or 2 more. The A4 just got an update many years after it’s release. Think, if Model:Cycles does great sales-wise, more money for product development, including older products. That’s how I see it.

9 Likes

I remember the same thing when the Digitakt dropped, Rytm owners were royally peeved lol

I can’t speak for Elektron, I’d say their development is a juggling act, but as always if you experience bugs, report them to Elektron through the official channels, that’s the only way they’ll get fixed.

5 Likes

That sounds like a hardware problem specific to your device.

2 Likes

OB is awesome right now!

3 Likes

I remember not so long ago when we’d be lucky to get one firmware update to patch any bugs on a synth/instrument in its entire life cycle, let alone any new features. Now we’ve come to expect constant updates and new features.

As for Overbridge, it was likely a monumental task to get it working as well as it does In most DAWs, on an infinite number of hardware and software computer configurations, with almost all of their Modern/recent products. I personally think Elektron deserve an award for the accomplishment. I haven’t seen anything close to it from any other synth/hardware manufacturer either.

10 Likes

On encountered 2 digitone breaking errors/glitches but haven’t encountered them since … bug fixes dog !

1 Like

Yeah and the Overbridge specifications clearly state pc/Mac requirements are based off of your own computers performance so of course people with shitty laptops are going to have problems lmao :joy:

2 Likes

You can’t see the similarity, I thought the M:C is FM Based, with six easy preset starting points, for the six tracks, yes it does have two extra tracks,

Sorry, but to me it just looks like a slim down version of Digitone, like the Model Samples to Digitakt

I do have bugs, which I can live with, I am not the only one with bugs, As I said maybe I am being a bit hard on Elektron, so you won’t like a new update with extra features on the Digitone, The way I was looking at it, Elektron released something similar, when they could put that time and energy into making the Digitone even better., I know companies are in the business of making money, but see this to often, moving from one project to the next, and leaving older projects on the side line, I sure they will release some new update, as there empty slots on the the Digitone

In the Tech industry the Hardware Engineers have always been one step ahead pf the Software Engineers. In the computer industry this is especially so. This has led to a trail of glitches that have never been fixed as companies haven’t the resources to keep up with new tech.

1 Like

I 'm really jealous the cycles has " Press the pad of the
active track while browsing to listen to the preset currently highlighted. " for keylocks.

Digitone still has hanging midi notes when using overbridge & midi USB, most of my bugs with DN are related to overbridge.

My Computer has, iCore 7, 16gb ram, SSD, etc… high spec, problem is, I use Win 7, as far as I know it doesn’t work on Win 7, The reason I bought the Digitone was to get away from making all my music on a Computer, but to use the computer as a Muilttrack Recorder, but to do this, I would need install Win 10, and all compatible drivers, for hardware and software, seems like a lot of work, with Win 10 feeling like it’s still in Beta, It’s kind of the case I was making about the Digitone, they could of made Win 7 better, but now updates has stopped, leaving not much of an option but to spend more money if I decide to change, probably a discussion for another thread?

To you it looks like that perhaps. However it seems that the model:cycles uses its own assembler code and produces a more aliased sound (probably due to not upsamp,ing the synthesis to 96kHz?) than the digitone, therfore it can be proved scientifically that DN and m:c are using different code for their synthesis algorithms. So the fact of the matter actually is, you are wrong.

I havent encountered any repeatable issues with my DN, which I have had since they were announced. Sorry if you are encountering bugs, but unless your bugs are reproducible on every DN out there, we can’t be certain that the issues are universal and manifest on every DN.

1 Like