P locking program change in octatrack

Hi!
I sold my octatrack a while ago.
Just a couple of days ago I started triggering my minitaur with my machinedru mk1 and this is by far the best thing I have ever done.
I don’t remember properly but from what I remember there wasn’t the possibillity to p lock program changes on the octatracks midi out was it?
Thinking about getting one again.

You are correct. OT only sends Program Change messages when its pattern changes or if set up to do so in its MIDI sequencer when a pattern associated with a different part becomes active.

MD and MM allow p-lock of Program Change messages on individual sequencer steps.

2 Likes

That is a pitty. Would buy one again otherwise.

You could use a midi translator box such as bomebox or midi solutions event processor for translating a specific CC or a midi note value (velocity) into a pgm change. Quite trivial really.

I believe note velocity would be ideal, since note data is not laggiing behind the cc data (cc plocks occur always after note data, unfortunately)

4 Likes

@ tsutek:
Thanks a lot for this hint. I used a midi processor for that already but I didn’t know about the velocity coming before midi cc (even it sounds completely logically now) so I might do this with sending vcf and vca attack times to my minitaur which did not work before properly as the note was triggered and the envelope didn’t adjust in time.
If this solves the envelope problem for me you did me a really really big favour!!!

1 Like

Well, thank the board if it helps, as this is something I learned from reading this section :ecstatic:

1 Like

so got an octatrack again and i have to learn everything again. forgot how complex this machine was… .

2 Likes

Me too bud. Hmu if you hit any roadblocks, I’m finding it mostly OK other than forgetting most of the shortcuts. Lots of “I know this screen exists but how do I get to it??”

I didn’t have the first one for a very long time and kept using samples in live so i never really got to know everything. going to change that now.

so i am stuck again regarding program changes.
mapping to velocity is not possible with the event processor :frowning:
i am mapping to cc2 but i am getting really weird behaviour.
as it wont let me set the cc just for the trig (have to “activate” it before i can p lock it) .
also setting programs to patterns doesnt work. it seems to be a global setting. so when i change program (double tap playback/note button and set program to whatever) on pattern 1 it also changes for pattern 2.
this is really frustrating. i just sold the machinedrum as it was mk1 and i thought before getting mk2 just for the sequencer i better get an octatrack with a more advanced sequencer and the sampling engine as i wasnt using the machinedrum a lot. maybe i have to check out the monomachine instead ???v really hope to find a good solution.

ahh, yes, this is intended behaviour. You need to use the 4 parts if you want to change settings. This is quite inefficient but it is the only way I’m afraid.

In OT, all settings are shared for every pattern in a bank. If you want the different patterns to have different settings, you must assign patterns to different parts (only 4 available per pattn bank though). So effectively you can only use four patterns per bank if you need to use different settings for each pattern :frowning:

And I know you have the event processor already, but translating a velocity value into pgm chng is very doable with the bomebox (its finally out and available). I know this is not what you want to hear but just thought I’d mention it.

1 Like

I having the same problem currently - i have a i connect midi 4. You could remap a midi message for program change.
To send the program change i would use the octatrack track 4 - midi channel 4 - on track 5 i also have midi channel 4 but i would mute /unmute the track withe only the CC sending the program change.

If you really use the arranger you could also set the played length, so you could set several changes on one track - and then play those steps in the arranger to switch the program.

I map Cc to Pc with Event Processor +.
You can also map notes to Cc and change sound for each note or splits. Usefull for a drum kit with Blofeld for ex.

I didn’t know that IConnect midi 4 could do it.
Looks very complete.

I can remap the midi CC 127 to 32, which is used for bank select - do you know which CC is used for program select within that bank ?

Note and Velocity remapping - i did not see that as option.

Hi. I’ll take a look at Bomebox too! :wink:

not needed

1100 nnnn 0ppppppp Program change, 0-98 for Programs 1-99
within current Bank

Hex: C - programm

But which channel and CC message is that actually ?

Ok i understand , as i only could remap CC with the i connect midi 4 i would need such a Bomebox to do so.

1 Like

Coole feature that would allow Midi Scenes ? I.e. allowing multiple CC as target via the octatrack fader?
Also very good that you make us aware about this Bomebox :slight_smile:

My workaround is now:

The octatrack is sending program change when the part changes, i can send bank changes via CC - so i can have 4 patches via bank change messages. Its not perfect - but works.

2 Likes