Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

I set myself the challenge of building a track with just the Oxi and the Digitone, and while it was a bit harder than I anticipated it was definitely worth it. I learned a ton of stuff on the Oxi and even “discovered” a feature I had never used on the Digitone, which is the multimap.
I think these two make a really fun and powerful combo, they complement each other perfectly!

15 Likes

Would love to hear more about your process, and what you did with each sequencer. Was multimap used for the drum parts?

1 Like

Yeah, it was. All drum parts are using multimap, so I could use 4 other sounds for melodic duties.

The setup basically was:

• track/sequencer 1: mono sequencer on the Oxi, sh01-ish pluck sound
  • track/sequencer 2: mono sequencer, bass sound
  • track/sequencer 4: multitrack sequencer, triggering multimap drums as well as the pad sound on track 4 of the Digitone

Track 3 is the more dynamic one, I had to use it for different purposes throughout the song. It starts as a mono sequencer triggering a sort of tabla sound, then the 2nd pattern is also a mono sequencer but it changes the pattern on the Digitone to get a lead sound, and finally it changes to a chord sequencer and also to a different pattern on the digitone for a different sound.
On some tracks I used the LFOs and MOD lane to change the sound, as well as some randomization on sequencer #1.

5 Likes

So everything was sequenced on the Oxi One? I did notice that transport had started on the DN.

Yep, everything is sequenced in the Oxi, the Digitone is being used just as a sound module.

2 Likes

I’m sure its an awesome device.

however, I don’t play that much anymore with larger dawless setups, mostly hybrid (with laptop as centerpiece), I have little time, and the oxi is just too complicated with too many button combo’s to remember.

I’m thinking of selling it.

talk me out of it? or agree given the above?

New track with the Oxi, this time sharing sequencing duties with the Deluge:

3 Likes

As I’m painfully aware in my own life, it’s not about the gear, it’s about the time.

1. Can you devote enough time to the OXI in the near future?
  2. Could you realistically put the OXI aside and schedule more time to it in the mid-term?

Keeping a cadence of stuff that works and slowly adjusting process to add one thing here and there after non-recorded experimentation is key for me.

2 Likes

It’s a time saver for me, I let the Oxi One come up with funky-ass bass lines that would take me ages to write. :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank for this feedback! I’m very interested to understand your pain points with the OXI better.

• Despite the button combos, do you perceive something else as too complicated?
  • What button combos are the hardest to remember? Which of them do you use most?
  • Have you ever wished that there should be a dedicated button for a particular thing?
1 Like

Oxi works well in a daw environment, I’ve found. The only reason it hasn’t replace my launchpad is because of lack of velocity sensitive pads.

This ^^

I have an Oxi One and a 2 year old daughter. Regarding free time, those two things do not mesh well at all. I am not nearly using Oxi One to its potential in my setup, not even close. But I’m enjoying it just as a simple mono sequencer or triggering 8 tracks on my SP-16 using multi-mode. I know I’ll get to the deeper functions eventually (when she goes to college, perhaps?)

What else would you do? go back to the piano roll? :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

whats your workflow to do this? randomize function in a mono sequencer? details please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

lol exactly my situation

I would imagine setting a scale and using the Random generator with a low randomization value and a moderate to high Density value, depending on how busy you want it to be. It’s literally 3 or 4 clicks to come up with a unexpected bassline!

3 Likes

That’s exactly it, set a scale, set the density of notes, get it in time with some rhythm, set the global randomiser to +/- octave around 15%, randomise velocity around the same. Hit record. :smiley:

2 Likes

cool, i’m gonna try this. may convince me to not let go of it just yet if its so easy

My experience is that the Oxi is really easy to get started with and generate new ideas, it only gets difficult when you want to use the more complex feature like modulations, the arranger and some of the sequencer modes like Chord and Matriceal (I still haven’t been able to wrap my head around this one).

Yeah I immediately started out with the chord mode, since I was looking for something to program chords easily and replace my NDLR, but perhaps not the best place to start indeed.

Give yourself the time. Step by step. I am learning it too now and have a 4 year old daughter. Same situation. The oxi replaced many other sequencers for that I didn’t had enough hands anymore. For me it is the sweetspot between good usability, performance and features. Its not that hard and pretty logical. Go through the manual step by step and watch some synthdad videos on YouTube. I know we all want the immediate results, but putting a bit time into a device yield much more satisfaction than looking for the next thing that maybe or not works for you.

2 Likes