Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

First question I can answer (I’m still fairly new to it as well).

Pressing the Step Chord button and it’ll lock the page two of your note settings

2 Likes

Thanks! Totally missed that in the manual. :slight_smile:

1. Each LFO have only 2 destinations, one internal one external. Each destination has its amount and offset. The only exception is in Multitrack that an LFO can affect different tracks at once, but all with the same amount and offset.
2 Likes

Had one on order to the US from Thomann a month or so back but got cold feet and cancelled it. Picked one up with the 10 percent off V Day coupon from Perfect Circuit and it’s on its way to me. Too good of a deal to pass up. A little nervous about the learning curve but excited at the possibilities it’ll open up.

2 Likes

Learning curve is honestly not that bad. I can take a few weeks off and pick it back up with no problems. Like any sequencer the toughest part is figuring out how to make it work for your needs.

Sometimes I just use it for crafting chord progressions and leads. It can be fantastic for that. Its easy to make some pretty creative progressions with this device. The pick and place functionality takes it to another level.

2 Likes

I’ve found the learning curve steeper than I anticipated, although I don’t mind that at all. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks and I feel I’ve only scratched the surface on what it can do.

Just recorded my first jam with it, launching all patterns by hand because I couldn’t figure out how to use the arranger mode! :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

So you mean that if notes are entered on the OXI, they are entered in the Koala sequencer as well?

No. Samples are triggered by oxi, there’s no interaction with Koala’s piano roll sequencer.

1 Like

The arranger mode isn’t very intuitive indeed, and the manual section on it is quite… laconic.

Honestly, even after figuring the arranger mode out, I consider it the Oxi’s greatest weakness.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think I’ll use it much, especially considering I have a Deluge which has a brilliant arranger! Probably best to use the Oxi for what it does really well, which is to jam live and create interesting melodies.

4 Likes

Same, but with a Force.

still havent had time to do much with the oxi yet, @theartistisirrelevant would be interesting if you could post (a video, or text) with your workflow of how you jam/create melodies and chord sequences with the oxi!

2 Likes

Man, I feel like like I’ve barely scratched the surface of what it can do, I haven’t even used the chord mode… I don’t think I have anything particularly useful to share, but if there’s something specific you’d like to ask I’d be happy to answer!

1 Like

how have you been using it then to come up with melodies? the randomize function?

Yes, almost always using the randomize function, I keep pushing the button until I get a melody that I like and then tweak it a bit if needed.
I also love the stochastic sequencer, it’s great for creating ever evolving melodies.

1 Like

I use the randomiser to come up with notes, then hit play, choose a scale, amend to an appropriate pitch, then tie some notes and play with octaves, nudge some notes around then finally change the Chance of all notes playing to 66% or 90%-ish. Also make the octave chance around 90% so around one in ten notes plays an octave higher or lower which causes happy accidents. Record the whole thing in MIDI and save for later. :smiley:

1 Like

sounds cool, any audio examples of something you came up with with this workflow?

1 Like

Just recorded a little something really quick:

One 16-step sequence with the following adjustments:

Scale: Pentatonic Minor
Pitch: C0
BPM: 130

Random Generator
Scale: No
Human: 10
Random: 40
Density: 100

Random Perform
Velocity +/- 33%
Octave + 22%
Note Chance 100% (I should have tweaked this to about 95%)

I amended a bunch of the notes to play Legato so they slide in that 303 way that we all love.

6 Likes

cool! I can see how for this type of music the oxi randomize would work very well!

Yeah man, I use it for funky jazzy house basslines as well as the acid sounding stuff, really good for those. Comes up with really weird and cool patterns for techno and all sorts. Once you load up a sound source it’ll make all sorts of crazy cool patterns. You can bounce between scales and modes while it’s playing and jump between patterns in the arranger view, where each of the four sequencer tracks can be loaded independently. Also spits out polyrhythms and polymeters like a boss.

TL;DR: It’s a lot of fun.

2 Likes