Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Totally right @natehorn, it’s honestly just me not powering something from the same socket or using an isolator. USB power/MIDI comes with some tradeoffs which happen across the board, regardless of the device.

Don’t let my experience of a bit of noise put you off grabbing this ridiculously awesome sequencer. Seriously it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

2 Likes

Which if not isolated properly can also ruin your mixes

5 Likes

Bought an OXI from @undiagnosed about 3 weeks or a month ago. Really been loving it, best sequencer I’ve ever used. The ability to create things on the fly in combination with the harmonizer is really everything I’ve been looking for with all other sequencers I’ve had.

Cooked up this little jam today. Arrangement could use a bit of tightening. It’s a give and take though with performance. If I had hours and hours to practice it’d be slightly tighter, especially coming out of the break.

Anyway…

OXI is sequencing both parts on the JX08 and 1 part on the JD. Blackbox handles foley, kick and vocal sample. Bluebox handles mixing, effects & recording.

Obviously the OXI is vastly more capable than I’m showing here but, again, haven’t had it that long in the grand scheme.

7 Likes

NIce one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanna say that OXI Instruments support has been amazing. I had a defective LED on my unit and it has been repair in no time and they even taken care of shipping etc.

Also new firmware is coming with great new features !

6 Likes

That’s superb news! I had a soldering issue with my first-batch Oxi and Manu was incredibly helpful, even went as far as voice messaging me to make sure everything was OK.

2 Likes

+1, in my case Manuel was super flexible with a weird payment situation

3 Likes

And they supported me with repairs advice when shipping it back and forth to replace a cheap diode made no sense.

2 Likes

Anyone from Canada order a unit from their site? How much did it end up costing in total? Duties, taxes?

It seems to be showing up in shops so perhaps we’ll see it here in the future.

It looks like a cool machine. Thinking about it instead of Hapax.

You could order it from Perfect Circuit, will be around 60 USD for shipping.

1 Like

Thanks, there’s an idea. Seems to be without a travel case. Not that I need one but good storage.

I’m guessing it’ll just be GST/PST on top? Haven’t bought gear outside of Canada for a while.

The more I look into it, the more interested in it I am. It’s got some unique features. The different modes are intriguing. 128 steps is nice. Bluetooth makes the device more future proof imo. And fair price point for what it can do. Based on the what I’ve been reading here the firmware is still improving and customer service has been great.

Plus step locks for up to 8/8 probability. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m from Canada, I can check for the receipt for the duty fees etc.

The Oxi one is ( for my need ) the best sequencer I ever owned.

3 Likes

It’s free shipping from perfect circuit. (Though maybe not to Canada) but they aren’t available to ship yet.

Hadn’t used it in a while, started a new job, tried a few new synths and a Hapax… the Oxi with the OT is great, particularly with a workstation like the Fantom, and like a dumbass I sold another OT. I’ll be rebuying at some point soon.

For now Oxi and MPC keys + Fantom is great. The Oxi adds another dimension to the MPC sequencer.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried it with an MPC yet though I use an Oxi One to control a Tempest and it’s so good! It’s funny how liberating it can be to use a XoX-style, semi-generative sequencer to control an MPC-style, pad-based machine. It’s like you get the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

I’m considering selling off my Launchpad Pro Mk3 and a few other things to snag one of these once its available on Perfect Circuit. Glad to hear so many positive reviews working with Bitwig with it, as that’s my DAW of choice.

I have a question about the BLE MIDI though – does the controller provide any MIDI host capabilities, or would it need to be routed through a host device? One of the hardware devices I use a lot is OP-Z, and although the wired MIDI is fine, it’s nice to know if I can get away with using BLE MIDI without using my phone as a host between the two.

No host required, though BLE is flakey technology at the best of times so something like the CME WIDI Master is preferred. I had the Oxi One sending MIDI notes wirelessly to an iPad and it was mostly okay, though there were some missed notes at times.

3 Likes

Is there a way to specify the time signature or length of an LFO? For example, I’m trying to create a filter sweep in 7/4. It would be great to send CV to a filter cutoff that resets at a bar but the bar is 7 beats. I’ve been messing around this afternoon but it doesn’t seem like this is possible at the moment.

Not sure if I misunderstand the question maybe but you can set the end point of an LFO/Mod, so you could have a 7-step LFO and a 16 step sequence, for example - setting the start/end the same way you do the sequence. Same with the speed.

1 Like