Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Yea same here I clock my Digitakt (as well as everything else) from Oxi with no issues - what’s the specific problem you’re facing @leighzi88 ? Might be able to help

It’s common to see very slight fluctuations in BPM when clocking from an external source when using any gear in my experience - but they tend to be insignificant, a dip to 79.8 instead of 80bpm for example.

Thanks guys - I think I’ve worked out the issue. When I send clock/transport from Syntakt or Cirklon to the SP-404, the SP reads “EXT” BPM even when the Syntakt /Cirklon transport is stopped. When doing the same with the OXI to the SP, the BPM of the SP only reads “EXT” when the OXI transport is running, and drops back to the “INT” BPM when the OXI transport is stopped. So when you press play on the OXI the SP has to jump up to speed from its internal BPM to the OXI clock BPM. Not sure what the technical term is, but to ‘fix’ this issue the OXI would need to be sending out its clock information even when its transport is stopped, just like the Syntakt and Cirklon do. To check your findings @natehorn, I did a reverse experiment to clock my syntakt from the OXI and I agree that it syncs perfectly - I suspect this is because elektron midi implementation is significantly more advanced than Roland’s rather dodgy midi spec on the SP.

I think the OXI is only sending clock when it’s running, while some other sequencers spam the clock non stop.

1 Like

Been looking at the OXI and skimming through the manual but couldn’t find a few things, perhaps people with the OXI could shed some light!

The melodicer and grids are appealing to me but I couldn’t find if we can modulate the settings.

Grids is really good to create a rather simple rhythm at first with low density and low x/y and spice it up when you modulate the parameters: density (to create roll snares for example) or anything really: x/y/chaos/density. Can we do that with LFOs? If not internally, can we do this with MIDI CC? (is there a MIDI CC reference somewhere?) or any other way of doing this?

It seems there are modulation lanes (automation like in a DAW) so can we do some kind of parameter locking on a per step basis (staying with grids: density to max for step 4)? and if we can how many parameters can we “lock” per step?

Can we specify the LFOs triggering mode like in the Elektron’s sequencer? free running, trigger, hold, half, one.

Is there a concept of trig conditions ( 1/2, 2/2,3/4…) or only percentage based probability (one or the other or both at the same time?)

What are the arp modes? up, down, up down, random?

What is the cv output range? -+5v?

I have many Elektrons and Squarp Hermod but I don’t have a grid based sequencer so I thought it could be fun to try. OXI+BLE+iPhone/iPad could be a lot of fun I have to say (well, depends on the latency but I guess we can connect it with cables and an adapter if that’s a problem) and of course, it could pair with the Hermod just fine so I could get the best of both worlds (why not add some MIDI FX to the output of OXI)

1 Like

A lot of your questions are answered in the manual including the step locks, trig conditions and modulation. I don’t have the time to write a full answer right now but between the manual, this thread and some videos all the answers are out there. And the answer to your questions are almost all ‘yes’. :slight_smile:

I did skim through the manual but without OXI on my table the manual might not be as clear as you think it might be but thank you for replying that you won’t reply :sweat_smile:

Most of the answers are from memory as I don’t have the machine in front of me. Also, the manual can’t keep the pace with the updates Manu is launching, so there are a few things missing.
Take a look here to the most recent beta change logs Releases · OXI Instruments / OXI BETA · GitLab

Those parameters are not modulable at the moment. The plan is to expose as many as possible to internal and external modulation in the future. However, the Grids engine works below the Multitrack Mode, meaning you can still sequence, p-lock, randomise tons of params normally over the three Grids tracks.

Each lane has up to 128 steps and can have independent init, end steps, time division and smoothness from the sequencer they are used in. This means you can p-lock params using a lane running at different time division and/or length, another way of creating variation or longer sequences.
Right now they send CC out and have a few internal parameters open for modulation, planning to increase that list as stated above.
As per how many parameters you can control, is 1 per MOD lane, and there’s up to 32 in total in OXI if using 4 multitrack sequencers.

It’s free running or synced, up to 2 bars to per beat IIRC, including thirds.

You have probability, A|B, !A|B, PRE, !PRE , First, !First.
You have per track probabilities on top of that (Vel, oct, prob of trig, retrig, skip (step time)) and LFO.

There’re quite more, from memory: pinky, thumb, order, double, rand order, 8 pattern up, down, rand …
Another thing to note here is that each sequencer slot (1 to 4) has it’s own arpeggio that can be held and run over the normal sequencer, meaning all 4 arps can be playing at the same time, plus 4 keyboards that are also independent for each sequencer slot. A lot of voices can be controlled, it’s up to the engine of the other side to use them or not.

-3V to +5V for CV, +5V or +10V for gates IIRC.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thank you very much!

I didn’t see so many arps in the manual (but I thought it was certainly just not listed, I was right haha) but these names seem like fun : )

Too bad we can’t modulate Grids but if it’s a WIP, that’s cool. Opening the box to internal/external modulation would be great.

Time to watch some more vids :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been out of the Oxi loop for a little while - did there turn out to be a way, or has a way been added, to get a clock-out from the Pipe module? Whether it’s using one of the gates or somehow using one of the ins (not sure of the I/O on the pipe).

You can get a track clock out of a gate, which has it’s drawbacks, but I haven’t found a way to get the actual clock out. Currently I’m using the clock out on the back of the Oxi but it makes the cables a bit of a pain.

Hello everyone!
Just purchased an Oxi One. Read almost everything about It and watched a lot of videos. I’ve One question though, does the harmonizer works with multisequence too?
Let’s Say I have a chord sequencer, a mono, a multitrack sequence for drums and another multitrack for a couple of Melody Lines, will these two Melody Lines follow the chords with harmonizer?

Thanks

No way that I’m aware of.

They do. Each track on multi can have independent MIDI channel so you can route for example 4 tracks to a poly pad, 2 tracks to a lead, 1 track for bass and the last for chord change dependent 1 shots.

2 Likes

Hopefully something can be added I feel like this must be doable :slight_smile:

The saddest thing is the PCB still reflect the original concept and has a clock out where there is now a clock in. The PCB just seems to be a fairly direct connection to the HDMI cable so I wonder if it’s as simple as making that a software option?

Or maybe you can only push so much voltage down and this is why it had to become an in.

1 Like

I’m afraid that’s not the case. The HDMI I/O is hardwired on the OXI PCB, so there’s no way to change that routing. I firstly designed the Pipe with Clock Out, I guess Manu changed his mind on it and the label is still there.

Personally I see clock out more useful, but the way it is now, makes clock in and reset/cv in both exposed at the same time, otherwise you’d need a splitter on the back of OXI (TRS to 2xTS). In the end it makes more sense, clock out is just one cable away and an adaptor less to worry about.

Nice demo

2 Likes

Received the oxi One today. I’ve been practicing all day. Great tool, I’m really confident After having read the manual, it’s really jam friendly and I’m quickly developing muscle memory.

One thing that I can’t figure out if it’s possible to configure is the harmonizer that stops working when the chord track is muted. Is this a bug/feature? I’d like the mono track to keep following the chord track even when the chord t. is muted.

Also it would be nice to have some kind of settings to adjust the retrigger behaviour per step (like in the octatrack). I don’t find it really usable with melodic lines, and I don’t want always the same kind of retrigger for drums.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if this will work but try pressing Mute+a pad in the first column of the sequencer. This way, it’s still playing but no notes are emitted. If this doesn’t work either, I’d consider this a bug.

Would you mind to open a feature request for this in the OXI Instruments forum? It’s easier to have such things in one place.

It works. Thanks

OFc, I’m going to sign up in the forum because I have a couple of ideas/feature requests.

The problem is when I want to use a track as a melodic one in a multitrack where I have 7 drum assigned. The harmonizer pitch up or down the drums, because it’s “global” and not per track, but per sequencer.

This is a good workaround, but I lose independent lfos, because multitrack only has one lfo and I’m using different lfos for each melodic part in a song . Correct me if I’m wrong

Yeah, that one LFO is something I really hope can change in the future. I would love 8 on a multitrack that I can use wherever I want (2 on HH but none on Kick etc.)

Are you also using the Mod lanes and how do they differ from the LFO?