Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

This is perfect conclusion!

Lanes are linked to a sequencer and are exclusive for the Arranger. You sequence patterns in a lane, so the modes can vary even in the same lane.

But each lane can only load patterns of its related sequencer number.

2 Likes

Ah cool, looking forward to test!

Thanks for the additional clarification.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.

So I use the Deluge because by far, it’s the one sequence I’ve come across that lets me actually write music, as quickly as the ideas come up into my head. I’m a piano player, classically trained, so essentially, I “see” the music and for that purpose, the Deluge can’t be beat.

But the Blackbox is still my number one choice if I had to go with only one, because the way each sequence is independent of each other sequence, not in the least in terms of start, stop, duty cycling and quantization. It’s like having sixteen sequencers in one box, and that’s the way I write my songs.

So to come up with them, the actual melodies, progression and stuff, the Deluge is my favourite. I use it almost daily for that purpose.

But to make it into something more interesting that just all tracks following the exact same start and stop signals, independent looping and stuff, the Blackbox is superior - and ultimately, these are what my tracks are about.

I’ve yet to come across a sequencer that does both these things, in a way that’s accessible for me to use. The Maschine+ and MPC do the Blackbox thing in a similar way, and then there’s of course the monome universe, and Pyramids and Cirklons - but the visual approach of the Deluge combined with the detached structure of the Blackbox - I haven’t seen so far yet.

PolyEnd’s Seq touches on it, but it’s not a smooth runner as far as composition goes, chords and stuff being somewhat of a nightmare to get in there compared to the no nonsense view of the Deluge.

So yep, that’s where I’m at. I’d jump at any sequencer that nailed these needs, in an instant. But I still don’t quite get the Oxi One, I’m a bit daft that way, which is why I’m still on the fence. Enjoying the view, tho :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I recommend checking the videos in our YT channel to get to know it better, there are walkthroughs and showcases and more to come. I honestly think OXI One can be what you are looking for.

4 Likes

I don’t use Ableton, but is a lane similar to a column in Ableton’s session mode?

Thank you. I’ll keep watching :+1:

2 Likes

Not to launch Ableton clips, but to launch clips on One’s Arranger yes!

You can think like having 16 scenes (up to 32 tracks per scene, each one of the 4 lanes having 8 tracks each) which you can jump to manually and independently of de scene, or sequence their transition with amount of loops per clip (clip=Pattern in OXI One ofc)

These feats makes the Arranger really performative and fun!

Edit: I read the question wrong, but the answer got in somehow. A Lane would be up to 8 Ableton’s tracks, a Pattern a clip, and the Pattern Slots on Arranger a scene. I don’t think this helps at all :laughing:

1 Like

LOL - just when I think I understand it, it all falls apart!

I’m having difficulty keeping all these dimensions in my head at the same time. When does the loopop video come out again? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve had that moment many times since I first heard of this. Thankfully, after this weekend’s conversation here, I think I’m all caught up and have a stable picture of what it can do. I can sympathise though.

2 Likes

No! You are correct that a Lane would be a column, but more like up to 8 columns to be more exact, since each lane is up to 8 tracks. Hang in there :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hello @blipson! :wave:

As for me, I just started reading up on octatonal (8-note) scale harmony again. A few years ago, I started writing a song built on Messaien’s Third Mode of Limited Transposition - an octatonic scale:

I like my song to have chords but I couldn’t find anything about building harmony on this scale. So I first tried building chords by stacking 3rds, just like what was done with the 7-note major scale. I wasn’t satisfied with the sounds of those chords, so I tried stacking 4ths to make chords and I liked the sound of those.

Then I found this book and am thinking of buying it despite the price, as it appears to cover octactonal harmony much more thoroughly, as well as all things octatonal :

Anyway, if/when I get an Oxi One (will probably get, lol) I’ll just live with it for a while before requesting new types of chords, because it’s going take me a while to figure out what chords I would working with on a practical basis. It’d be a waste to request 10 new chords from your team, then never use those chords.

3 Likes

Ah, ok — there’s definitely some more clarification needed in the diagram, then. Like, I think I get it, but it’s still not exactly clear.

1 Like

From what I understand Kickstarter refunds everything if the funding goal is not met. But Indiegogo has the option of using flexible funding which means the goal doesn’t have to be met at all.

Will the Indiegogo campaign use flexible funding or fixed funding? Thanks!

Fixed!

1 Like

By the way, everyone who’s interested in OXI One should join our forum
https://oxiinstruments.com/forum/

We want to streamline our online presence, so we(me) won’t be that active in the future around here, as much as I enjoy the chat.

In the forum you will always get an answer from our team and other users.

2 Likes

So, if that’s the case, going back to the diagram, shouldn’t the box with the choice of 4 sequencer modes be attached to the box representing a pattern ? It might it explain things better that way, would certainly make more sense to me.

Is there any tempo automation, mangling, manipulation possible ?

thx.

There’s random to time division per track now.
We hope to open tempo to cv in and CC in.

2 Likes

Peek.

8 Likes