Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Will be there any possibility to join the VIP list if someone won’t accept the deal? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So, in this one, the “4 sequencers” bit in projects doesn’t make sense. I’d delete that entirely, and instead have the sequencer box say “Sequencer 1” and then have a stack of cards behind it that say “Sequencer 2”, “Sequencer 3”, “Sequencer 4” behind it, with only the tops visible — that will make it clearer that each sequencer has its own mode, etc.

Then, the relationship between patterns at the project level and patterns at the lane level isn’t clear. Is it that a project can have a bank of 64 patterns, and a given lane that’s part of a song can have up to 16 of them as part of that song? Also, is a “lane” equivalent to a “sequencer”? If so, I would stop using the word sequencer anywhere and only say lane — that’s clearer.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, good call on pulling out steps as well.

The other thing that would be nice would be to a) tie this back to the physical UI of the device if you can, and b) get some color in there to make the relationships clearer.

2 Likes

I was trying to figure out the same thing. If a lane is tied to a sequencer, then I’m guessing all the patterns in that lane have the same sequencer mode ?

Agreed

1 Like

I can understand this … but a good design, selection of proofed quality compontents, a decent quality control, and taking the time it takes, to be sure that the quality level is high is one key to success. Been there too, in some way … :wink:

2 Likes

Tempted to see how this one compares to the lovely Deluge.

1 Like

@klaustrophil may have a few words

2 Likes

I actually own both now. Being frustrated with the Deluge (e. g. the limited arp, the stupid clip view) was the reason why I jumped onboard to Oxi Instruments. I want to make a detailed comparison one day. But in a nutshell, the Oxi One feels more like a performance and creativity oriented tool while the Deluge is more like a piano roll in a DAW. The Deluge gives you more freedom to set your notes exactly how you want but it doesn’t help you much in catching inspiration.
But to make one thing clear: In the beginning I chose the Deluge because it felt like all other sequencers on the market where stuck in the 1990s or so. Having this 2-dimensional view on my sequences was a game changer for me.

6 Likes

Interesting. I find the Deluge amazingly inspiring to write songs with, more so than any other sequencer I’ve used, when it comes down to just writing a song, tho I prefer the more detached structure of the Blackbox sequencer.

1 Like

Will there be more chords added in future firmware updates?

Is there a reason why indiegogo is chosen instead of kickstarter?

More chords? There’s like… 150+ variations or so. But sure, I guess we can go microtonal?
You can suggest more if they are not in.

Indiegogo offers different tools that fit much better our campaign, for example handling VIP offers with Kickstarter would be a mess.

1 Like

I’d have said exactly the same back then when I didn’t know the Oxi One. All other sequencers where crap for me, I couldn’t see myself using a different sequencer anytime soon. But of course, this is also a matter of taste. I don’t like the blackbox sequencer at all. It’s way to fiddly and has even less features than the Deluge. (But I love this device for being my background and ambient sample box) I think the touchscreen interface is the problem for me. It’s the same with the Akai Force.

At this point it might be useful to you to understand my affiliation with Oxi Instruments:
TL;DR: I do beta testing and development of the (soon open source) companion app. I have the Oxi One hardware available and will be allowed to keep it and I have a bit of an influence on the development. I don’t hold a stake of Oxi Instruments and won’t get a share of it’s revenue. This may change in the future if they continue being that awesome.

I didn’t know this company before November 2020 where the news about this project started spreading. I was searching for the next level sequencer for about 2 years because my Deluge has it’s shortcomings and the overall direction of the development clearly set the focus to the sound engine. I already had the sad experience that a very promising product (Composer Pro by dadamachines) of a start-up didn’t made it to the market and I know the struggle. So when I heard of the Oxi One and had some writing with Manu and Carlos, I asked them if they need any help with the development and told them that I have experience in software development, UX design and breaking things. So we agreed upon that I’ll kickstart the companion app development, test the shit out of the Oxi One prototypes they provide and give valuable feedback for improvement. In return I’m allowed to keep the last device they gonna send me and my feedback has a bit of weight on the development. Sure I could have asked for a revenue share or so but I’m a bit of a self-exploiting idealist. This said, it might be possible that I decide to get more serious with them in the future because working together is really fun and we seem to share the same vision of how things have to be.

12 Likes

Hi Carlos,

Tx for the info. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use more complex chords to be used in more experimental music. I have read there are over 4000
chord possibilities.

Looking forward to the crowdfunding campaign

1 Like

Any combination of 4 and more notes is a chord (3 is triad, am I right?) so basically yes, there’s a ton of possible chords out there, like smashing a keyboard will give you a random chord. We have a large amount of modes and scales, plus chords inversions, voicings and strum for most of the scales.
We have split chords, so it’s not only your M and m7. I’d say wait to try OXI One and see if you lack chords, we could add them of course.

Now think about the Polyphonic mode. Here you have total freedom with up to 7 notes per step. You can copy a chord sequence into a polyphonic one and move notes around. There’s plenty of space for experimentation.

3 Likes

Two notes are already a chord, no? Or maybe official definition is at least three notes, not sure lol. Three notes are definitely a chord, called a triad. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Went to the wiki why not, it’s more interesting than I thought:

Ottó Károlyi[12] writes that, “Two or more notes sounded simultaneously are known as a chord,” though, since instances of any given note in different octaves may be taken as the same note, it is more precise for the purposes of analysis to speak of distinct pitch classes . Furthermore, as three notes are needed to define any common chord, three is often taken as the minimum number of notes that form a definite chord.[13] Hence, Andrew Surmani, for example, (2004, p. 72) states, “When three or more notes are sounded together, the combination is called a chord.” George T. Jones (1994, p. 43) agrees: “Two tones sounding together are usually termed an interval , while three or more tones are called a chord .” According to Monath (1984, p. 37); “A chord is a combination of three or more tones sounded simultaneously,” and the distances between the tones are called intervals. However, sonorities of two pitches, or even single-note melodies, are commonly heard as implying chords.[14] A simple example of two notes being interpreted as a chord is when the root and third are played but the fifth is omitted. In the key of C major, if the music comes to rest on the two notes G and B, most listeners will hear this as a G major chord.

So most of the folks here agrees that a triad is the minimum.

2 Likes

@Fern welcome to Elektronauts!

@OxiInstruments
I noticed that @klaustrophil didn’t mention anything about trading his soul for entry into the beta program…. @CarlosUnch said there was ‘nothing unique’ about my contract! :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the deeper explanation. With the polyphonic mode it seems feasible to experiment a bit around common chords. As a former guitar player I’m thinking about suspended chords.

@TheGhostCat thanks!

I didn’t see a direct answer to your question, but researching further, I think this may be it.

So, to my way of thinking, each lane is something that is definitely linked to a single sequencer, and each lane consists of 16 patterns slots, and each pattern slot can define it’s own sequencer mode (which may vary within the lane).

If I’ve made misleading conclusions, I will come back and edit this post, but that’s my present understanding.

1 Like

Ah suspended are quite normal. They are in. We have split chord like G/D, those are even less common.

2 Likes