Overhub PSU?

…can’t imagine that you cannot get a standard PSA in any electronic shop in the netherlands. But - I don’t think that’s a good idea to run an audio interface over a hub. It’s more likely that the noise is caused by a lack of overall bandwith.

Can anyone help me and link me to the correct PSU in a german store or amazon? I’m afraid to choose the wrong one.

Sure, I got this one:

It works, but the jack is a bit long and the PSU itself is a bit clumsy.
My first one had a little flaw, but I called the reseller and they sent me a new one without any problems…good service.

This PSU is smaller and should also work with the right adapter, but I can´t confirm, as I don´t own it, though I really like the smaller size. I´d buy this one next time, if I would need a new PSU:

2 Likes

thanks for the recommendation! i guess i will take the second one and let you know if it fits.

Seems that my Overhub get 5VDC 4A and not 3A (I have the Overhub with the white logo)…
Also in the manual It says: Power in for AC adapter, 5V DC 4 A.

Im lost…
Pretty confusin that in the manual u don’t even get more info about the small type connection which hard to find. :frowning:

For European users that are looking for a 5VDC 4A adapter: I have ordered & tested https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07N6KFKGL/ref=pe_3044141_189395771_TE_3p_dp_1 with success. The jack is a bit long, as M8 reported with another adapter as well. But it works like a charm. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Going to ask this as well, because above, @Ess has said above 3A max, but the manual I have for the Overhub states the specs as such: AC adapter, 5 V DC 4 A.

@Ess, can you clarify?

As an aside, I’m getting a bad noise/buzz (does not sound like a ground loop hum) coming from the Minilogue XD module when I plug it into my Overhub, but straight into the computer, it’s fine. The Overhub works fine with all Elektron gear and my Waldorf Blofeld. Is there some kind of known incompatibility between Korg and the Overhub? I was hoping a power adapter might fix this, and happened upon this thread.

1 Like

Be careful about some power adapters being advertised as the correct one when they may NOT be exactly the right plug size!

The Elektron Overhub manual states:

Power Supply not included. Bus power from the computer host is suffcient to power 7 Overbridge devices.

Should you need to power a USB drive or charge an MP3 player you need an AC adapter (not included). Compatible power supply: 5 VDC 3A Connector 3,5 x 1,35 mm, center pin positive.

So, I ordered this adapter:

In the Q&A section, the manufacturer claimed it was the correct size DC plug: 3.5mm x 1.35mm. However, this was not true. The plug did not fit the Overhub DC jack. I had to return it, and luckily had no issues with the return process.

Question:

The 3.5mm is the external size of the plug right? And the 1.35mm is the internal?

Answer:

Yes,

3.5mm OD x 1.35mm ID

This answer was probably a mistake on the part of whoever at the company fielded the question.

Could you please link me to a PSU available for order in Switzerland? I can’t find any on Amazon :frowning: Can’t believe a PSU wasn’t provided, I have 5 more non-Elektron devices to connect to my Overhub.

Hi guys can I use one of these two PS for Overhub without harming my hardware/synths?

I know it can support 7 devices but I’m already having another (powered) USB bay and I don’t want to put my Macbook Pro under heavy power load it drains the battery so fast otherwise (and would it be risky?).

Manual says “Compatible power supply: 5 VDC 3A Connector 3,5 x 1,35 mm, center pin positive.” but I have no idea what it means.

1. https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/d-link-5v-3a-power-adapter-network-accessories-10144504

2. https://www.distrelec.ch/en/power-supply-5v-3a-nordic-power-am-04151a-5v/p/16968806

Why didn’t you provide a PS now I’m confused and prefer not to use the OH until a PS is found.

Most Amazon products are not being shipped to Switzerland so a suitable alternative would be otherwise welcome.

Thank you.

The 3.5mm relates to the size of the plug that goes into overdub or whatever else you’re powering. Centre point positive relates to the polarity of the plug. 5v is the secondary voltage at the plug and 3a is the maximum current the psu can supply.

Can’t see a physical size quoted for the plug on the first item or it’s polarity. Second item has a reversible plug so polarity is covered but the plug size quoted is wrong. You can usually pick up psu’s That have multiple plugs and you choose the size that fits

Okay thank you for the explanation. I will try to get one of those with multiple plug sizes and appropriate polarity. Now these are extremely hard to find especially now even online (Amazon won’t ship most of these electrical appliances to Switzerland even in non-Corona times), and Elektron doesn’t even provide an official PSU as accessory to buy for an already overpriced and poorly designed USB bay (but no choice because multi TT). It’s really unbelievable and I’m surprised considering the company standards.

Thanks a lot again.

1 Like

hei spnc, i got the same problem, also in switzerland! do you have found a fitting psu in the meantime? i bought one with multiple plugs but the right plug doesnt fit right, its too long :S

Same, here.

Just order a bunch of correct PSU’s, slap “OVERPOWER” on them and sell them, Elektron.

The people are waving cash at you.

2 Likes

The new Overhub (Black/White) has a 5V4A power supply, the old one had 5V3A.
It’s such a bummer that they don’t include a PSU with the Overhub.

2 Likes

how come the overhub can’t be bus powered via usb c? would very much like to use less cables than necessary

Just ordered a couple of these - seem to fit the bill on paper:

Anyone know what’s the point of having a power supply anyway while you can just power it through USB?

to avoid a friedcircuit :wink:

there’s finite power available from a given computer usb port (and will generally be low, typically 0.5>1.0 amps would be my guess)

that’s enough to comfortably power the hub and support a few peripherals, but it may not be enough if an unpowered device requires more current than the port can supply or if multiple single devices do

4 Likes