Live setup crash - a delicious whodunit

maybe bad usb cables at faultā€¦

1 Like

I think it was clearly your swapping of the hub.

When I perform, my last two or three rehearsals are with exactly the equipment Iā€™ll bring to the venue. This includes everything down to the audio cables to the house, stands, my table light, and even my merch. I put all the other equipment in my studio out of the way to ensure Iā€™m working with the live setup. The last rehearsal I start by packing it all up, and rehearsing the load-in. Then I rehearse the music, and after I run through packing it all up again. Now Iā€™m good to go and know I have exactly what works for the set.

11 Likes

I had a similar issue with the Rytm Mk1 live. Itā€™s RARELY if ever frozen on me practicing, but locked up live once. Even with just Digitakt+Rytm.

Maybe powerā€¦ in my case.

1 Like

Iā€™m claiming that!

Yes as others have said the hub is almost certainly the culprit.

1 nugget of wisdom for future reference, never change out any components of a working system just before a gig.

11 Likes

I have a friend that DJs with Traktor on a Mac and the last two shows Iā€™ve heard her play itā€™s crashed and required a reboot of the Mac.

What I think the issue is is that she does sound check before the show, two or three DJs play before her, then when sheā€™s up., her Mac has gone into a sleep or power suspend mode. I donā€™t think the Mac recovers properly from a suspend/sleep mode. Iā€™ve advised her to reboot shortly before she goes on to test this but she hasnā€™t played since the last time this happened.

Just a thought but if you did do a sound check and had the system up for a long period of inactivity before you went on then perhaps the suspend/power settings might deserve some scrutiny. I could be way off though.

Just some thoughtsā€¦

2 Likes

Damn, that sucks. :frowning:

Probably Overhub indeed, as this is the factor that changed. Ideas:

• USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0: Did you use the correct cable in the correct USB port?
  • Did you use it without an adapter? If so, you might have been pulling more power than your laptop provided. Try with a suitable adapter ( see Overhub PSU? )
  • Did you use it with an adapter? Some adapters are wrongly labeled, not providing the correct amperage for example. See Overhub PSU? again for more information.
5 Likes

where did you play in toronto?

I would suspect overbridge. it worked well for me too, I only gave it up because of the difficulty of syncing up prog ch, but it would also very occasionally give me quite a disastrous audio glitch.

also worth mentioning the rytm mk2 seems to be not as rock solid reliable as other elektrons. sometimes it just doesnā€™t turn on lol.

2 Likes

I would indeed investigate Overhub.

There are a bunch of threads about Overhub issues, Overhub PSU and even alternatives multi-transaction translator usb 3 hub.

1 Like

I agree, this is a good practice. We really thought the hub would not affect thingsā€¦ such a bummer.

Thanks darenager. I totally agree, Iā€™m just so surprised that this little element could have caused an issue.

But wait, was the culprit USB, or power?? what even IS ā€œdirty powerā€? Is there a way to clean it before it reaches our setup?

This is good advice. However Iā€™ve always had my machine sleeping for minutes / hours or days before firing up the rig and itā€™s never been a problem before the show.

We closed the night at Frequencies - an excellent monthly series of all live electronic music in Kensington Market. Thankfully the room was mostly loving friends.

Pro tip - if you want every single person to give you a hug and say that things sounded great, try having these horrible crashes.

6 Likes

" ā€œ Dirty power ā€ is an abnormality in the power quality that is being delivered to a system. These abnormalities can include low power factor, voltage variations, frequency variations, and surges. All electrical systems are based on a supply of power at a certain voltage and frequency."

I think you can get power line conditioners to address this. Maybe even an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) as any fluctuations should be buffered by they battery.

2 Likes

Thanks LyingDalai.
I am getting convinced that it was the Overhub. I will try to replicate the crash tonight at home. Alot of the past thread posts would report a consistent non-functionality. But my situation was more of an intermittent non-functionality. Still, it seems if my Rytm was plugged into a port with shitty soldering, the connection could go in and out as I observed.

My rytm mk2 froze the other night. It was before a band practice. It had been sitting in the cold for a few hours. Could it of been that?

Thank you labpop,
I learned that my Rytm only requires USB2. I believe I had the right cable.
if any of the cables were incorrect as you suggest, would it not result in NO functionality? I was experiencing intermittent functionality.
I will attempt to replicate the crash tonight and keep these comments in mind.

Good to know. Thank you.

Never trust computers

2 Likes

Yes its a power problem ā€¦ had this multiple times but never in my studio.

@colonel_mustard. In the Billiard Room. With the Candlestick.

6 Likes