Overhub plus alternative MTT USB hubs

This week will buy that old Blueendless 3.0 hub for $10 and next week will disassemble and look inside. Post pics.
Just found one looks like overhub and google possible similarity, found couple threads about it.
More on subj it’s been used in ps4 expander usb hub.
Also GL3520-21 USB3.0 Hub Update Tool was found to update firmware on it. Updater

Using this updaters collection for GL3520 found my hub own 9020 firmware and I was able to download it. Took risk and upgraded board to 9030 after inspecting GL3520-10 9030 Firmware Change List. One can say for sure, DT and DN same time overbridged vsts receives sound via usb hub and works fine in Ableton or stand alone soft before and after upgrade.!
Finally got inside.
IMG_20210429_170432|690x388 !

One of the ports on my cheap USB 2.0 MTT hub just crapped out so I decided I needed another one.
There are a ton of links here and it got confusing so I just did my own research.
This hub is USB 3.0 and MTT.

GEKRY USB 3.0 Hub, Metal Case Mountable 7-Port Powered USB Hub 3.0 with 12V/3A AC Adapter-Type A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793HQ57L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z8TJKCPZHH2KKP7CVH7H

It’s not dirt cheap but it’s less than an overhub and comes with a power adapter (which overhub does not)
It arrives Friday, I will report back.

2 Likes

Anyone have a recommendation for a good multi TT hub to plug into a USB C port?

Scroll up, there are already a few in the thread. :thup:

I saw one, but it looks like it only had a few USB ports+an extra HDMI port and all this stuff I don’t really need. I’d prefer something with at least 5-7 ports, finding a usb C hub that isn’t a complete “docking solution” and just has maximum USB ports has been weirdly tough.

please do tell us if it works for you i am about to buy the same one :wink:

1 Like

Tell us what you got! I was able to get inside Blueendless and uploaded image from inside in my last message. Same double chip pcb Gl3520 as Overhub.

1 Like

How’d it work out?

1 Like

It works perfectly! No grounding hum problems, just works flawlessly

3 Likes

Excellent. Mine arrives today!

1 Like

Do you have a link for this guy? I’m looking for a smaller USB hub that doesn’t need a PSU for traveling purposes.

No, mine was bought on local Ukraine market, used. Since then there was no second chance but one I got works fine.

1 Like

Sorry if this hub has already been mentioned.

I was looking for another of the Manhattan hubs I posted about ages ago but they seem hard to get now. Found this one, also by Manhattan, for only £17! Says it supports MTT so have order one to test.

Manhattan 162463 Hi-Speed 13-Port Desktop USB Hub, 13 Ports, USB 2.0, AC/Bus Power Hub with Multiple Transaction Translator and 2.4 A Fast Charge Capable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0178R2HOY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KK9Q22NM2GPKX122Q6EV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

So weird question: did anyone receive a random micro USB to USB A cable instead one of the USB B cables shipping with the Overhub? I just did on my order from Thomann, so I’m trying to find out if I got sold a return item instead of a new one.

So I have this Aukey CB-C62 4 port USB 3.0 to USB-C hub.
Did some digging through system profiler to get the Product ID code, which is 0x0620 from Genesys Logic, which I found cross referenced on a development database as the GL3523 chipset, which I found the spec sheet for that show it is Multi-TT.

A solid, affordable hub for USB-C.

5 Likes

The manufacturer replied to state that this device is MTT. Any idea if I’d face any issues with this device as an Overhub replacement? Mine just died out of the blue, and I now have a number of devices I need to power up.

It looks fairly rugged, has 10 ports, and 3 dedicated charging ports. Unless there are any obvious issues, this looks pretty good for my needs.

I’ve had good luck with most Anker stuff.

I’m also using a Plugable 7 port on my desktop, which works great.

1 Like

I’m going to try it out. With a gift card I have it ends up being pretty cheap, and since it has a PSU included, powering options, and more ports, I think it’s a better fit for me than the Overhub. I should get it in a week or so, I’ll come back with an update either way.

Just reporting back on the Anker “10 Port” USB hub I ordered from Amazon (US) as an Overhub replacement.

First impressions are it was smaller than I thought it’d be, but seemed fine. Sturdy, but plastic build. I like the less flimsy USB 3 B connection on this device versus the USB 3 micro on the Overhub, which even after having used it for a year and a half in a stationary untouched position, feels wiggly and loses connection if touched just so.

Connection wise, worked right away, no issues. I ran 4 Elektron devices with Overbridge and it read them all fine, along with a USB-powered sequencer, Midi hub, and a Nord Modular G2 (which is notoriously finicky about USB ports).

The only negative, which is a bit of a big one for me, is that the 3 “PowerIQ” charging ports are power-only, not data connection. So I can use them to power up devices, but I can’t use them for connection purposes, which brings me back down from 10 usable ports to 7.

Not sure what I’m going to do about that, since I have 3 dedicated Overbridge devices, 3 instruments/controllers over USB, and 2 MIDI hubs. I’m going to try and make it work, but it seems difficult to find USB hubs with a lot of ports for some reason.

1 Like