Overhub plus alternative MTT USB hubs

I run a Windows 10 PC and added a USB card with four ports and four controllers. You can find it in the “Special USB card” thread.

1 Like

Good to know about working and cheaper alternatives to Overhub. Cheers!

1 Like

It might be a stupid question…
By using the overhub can i run 2 overbridges at the same time ,for recording the audio of Ar and A4??

It should work. But it should also work for one which during the beta is problematic. So yes, but possibly with issues until OB is out of beta

I’ve used an Overhub for recording from A4 and Digitakt at the same time via OB, worked fine

Has anyone had success with 3 devices at once? I’m planning to plug in AR mk2 + A4 mk1 + Digitone with all 3 OB’s running simultaneously via an Overhub. Will my computer melt?

On my 2013 MBPr, I’m able to run AR, AF, and DN on Overbridge using Overhub at pretty low buffer rates in Logic Pro. In addition, I have exhausted the remaining USB ports on the Overhub for MIDI to other synths. I was not able to run Overbridge on my computer with any other MTT USB hub or by directly plugging into the computer.

1 Like

[Edited to make sense in the current thread]

Hi folks, trying to get my arms around this massive thread . . . do people still recommend the Overhub?

Looking around the various gear forums, I’ve heard everything from “It’s great!” to . . . the opposite of that.

How have people faired with better/cheaper alternatives?

I’ve only used traditional instruments and hardware synths up to now, so the two USBs on my Macbook Pro were plenty—Audio Interface goes into one, other one goes out to the SSD, and everything else is good, old fashioned audio jacks and 5-pin MIDI. Easy.

But I just ordered a MIDI keyboard, so now I need another USB port for the soft synths and to control the DAW to some extent. And the Macbook Pro just gives you two USB ports.

If it helps, here’s my typical setup:

• DAW: REAPER
  • Interface: Focusrite 18i8
  • Main Sampler: Digitakt — I’ve only messed around a little with OB and usually use the audio outs
  • MIDI keyboard: Keylab Essentials 49
  • Various mics/other non-USB instruments plugged into the interface that don’t factor in here.

So I’ve got two ideas:

1. Dedicate USB1 to the interface and get a hub for the SSD, Keylab, and maybe Overbridge.

2. Skip the hub and use USB1 for the interface and USB2 for the Keylab, and just record straight to SD using the MBP’s built-in card reader—no external drive.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks so much!

In his review, BoBeats was able to run a Digitakt, Digitone & Analog Heat all at once through Overbridge via an Overhub, so you should be good:

1 Like

Interesting.
This older SIIG Hub I used to use has the GL3522

The only difference I can see in the block diagram is how the GL3522 regulates to 1.2V with a second regulator vs how the GL3520 single regulator is implemented , perhaps to make it more compliant with specific fast charging standards of Apple and Samsung.

1 Like

Also, this usb-c to usb-a hub is working out for me, on a 16" MBP i9, Catalina, OB 2.0.30.3
Tested with A4 MK1 and AK running simultaneously, in Live 10. Even at lowest buffer safety settings, along with my MOTU ULMK4 (I figured might as well try with this powerful computer.)

I confirmed the USB chipset with the manufacturer. It is a VIA VL817, which is Multi TT.
(side note, getting answers to such questions via Amazon Answers is a total nightmare)

The “pd” power pass through works, but I don’t necessarily need it. So I won’t be able to comment on the longevity of that feature.
It does drop the wattage being fed to the computer down to 85W, FYI.

3 Likes

Is this hub an acceptable alternative basicaly for devices that suggest having their own USB port? Pretty much everything I own, like the Roland TR8s, or the Bass Station 2 all recommend having their own USB port and not being in a hub. I am guessing that the overhub makes that a non-issue?

Having MTT makes that a non-issue IIRC.

2 Likes

Has anyone used a hub with the ‘ASMedia - ASM1074’ chipset?

This hub has it and seems fairly rugged:

( I own an overhub but the upstream port got mangled. )

For people in Australia

I have this digital noise also since my overhub was arrived. I have a Macbook Pro late 2011, i5 2.4 Ghz at home and a Mac Pro in the studio. I have this digital noise ONLY at home with the macbook pro and was a f***ing hell, no way to remove it after triying everything. In the studio with the mac pro works perfectly indeed.
Then my conclusion is the problem should be someting related to the macbook´s power supply or the way that is ground-isolated.
What solved my problem was to buy a Hifimediy USB Isolator. That means to spend 27 Euros more of course, but in my case, after buying it the noise was completely gone.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

Does anyone know or have used the ESI M4U eX with Elektron gear and Overbridge?
Thanks

I’ve just had to do the same for my Reface CP and iMac. I bought this which did the trick: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GF8643T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have this problem with my Streichfett. It seems pretty common across a lot of devices with USB. I’ve not had any issue with my Digitakt or Argon8 thought.

I’m using a couple of those isolators too. In my case, on my Minitaur and Blofeld. They work a treat!

I find it hard to find USB hubs that specifically say Multi TT. Would this be a workable Overhub alternative?