Overhub Issues

you should prepare yourself with ground loop adapters.

Nooo, no more adapters please! :weary:

I just realized the hum disappears completely when I unplug the usb cable from my Digitone (or the Digitone from Overhub)ā€¦ When I connect the Digitone directly into my computerā€™s USB port, thereā€™s also no humā€¦
So maybe it has really something to do with Overhub itself? :frowning:

i think it has to do with different pieces of USB power in the chain.

itā€™s the best way to get rid of the noisefloor

1 Like

my problem seems to be solvedā€¦ after looking for the main source of the hum, I found out that Iā€˜d accidentally connected two devices from midi in to midi in, when I was re-arranging my ā€žstudioā€œ recently. I now have swapped it from in to out and the hum was gone. all good now :slight_smile:

hope that will help someone someday, haha

1 Like

Cant use it, canā€™t find a propper power supply in Germany.
Why didnā€™t you communicate this in the merch?

I bought a (brand new) Overhub a few days ago from Andertons in the UK. Fresh out of the box, only three of the seven USB ports work with my Rytm MkII / Digitone.

Iā€™m guessing I got a dud unit and should just return it, but thought Iā€™d post here first in case: a) someone else has had a similar issue, or b) Iā€™m just doing something stupid.

Assuming itā€™s broken, and given the number of issues people here have had with the Overhub, I guess I should just return it for a refund?

I raised a ticket with the good people at Elektron and they kindly shipped me a replacement Overhub.

The replacement is a v2 unit - different design, packaging, slightly lighter.

Seems to be working well so far.

2 Likes

Iā€™m buying a power supply for my Overhub, lets see if that solves the issues i have? Currently just doesnā€™t show the multiple Elektrons hooked up to it ( ! ) Possibly because iā€™ve got some extra external drives hooked to another hub, which in return is maybe draining too much power away from the regular USBs on my Laptop for the Overhub to properly communicate? Would be nice for a change if i didnā€™t have to constantly fix stuff with stickytape in order for it to work, or unplug stuff in my minimal setup. Time to whip out some commercial shitty tunes as to aquire myself some proper hardware?

My Overhub stopped working. There is still the green light that is lit but without disconnecting anything, it just stopped working. I tried different USB ports, no joyā€¦I paid so much money for it as wellā€¦unreal.

My overhub also stopped connecting after a year. Itā€™s utter trash. I opened a support ticket and they offered 50% discount on a new one. What a joke! They should fix the issue because itā€™s pretty clear after reading this thread they havnā€™t dealt with the issue yet. Iā€™m never going to buy a new one and am very disappointed about Elektron putting out such a bad design. And itā€™s not like theyā€™re cheap either. I thought I was buying Elektron quality.

Has anyone had issues with Overhub Rev2? wondering if the wobbly USB port is Rev1 only?

i wonder the same.My rev2 arrived today.Works good and looks sturdy but the connections seem quite sensitive.I have 3 Elektrons plugged in and a Soundcraft mixer and if you just touch this thing there is a danger it will lose connection to my soundcraft.Not sure i`ll keep it.Still a few weeks to try before i return it or not.

My Overhub (my second unit) stopped working / being recognized by my Mac Pro/Macbook Pro/Macbook Air a while ago. Today i just gave it one last try on the MBP, connected 2 devices to it and started checking / refreshing system report. One of the devices, the SH-01a, powered up, yet didnā€™t show up as midi device. No USB devices were recognized by System Report anyway.

As i went to register the device / file a support ticket, all of a sudden my Macbook reports i should disconnect devices that are taking too much power. Same time i see that the SH-01a stops working and when looking at the Overhub i see smoke coming out of one of the USB portsā€¦ Another chapter in the drama i call the Overhub :frowning:

ufffā€¦itā€™s so bad when just a hub can kill your USB periphals or cause some real danger.

i would go for the Anker one as theyā€˜re bulletproof with intelligent power distribution and such.

did someone pictured a teardown on overhub yet?

maybe to find a similar board and/or issues from other manufacturers

Did you use it with a power connector?
I think faultless use without a power connector is only guaranteed with overbridge devices.

Totally unsure what USB hub to get after reading this thread.
Thinking of maybe just trying something well rated from the big A and safe a couple of bucks while doing so, especially as they have a power supply included.
Though I want to avoid risking any overbridge problems with the third-party devicesā€¦

What do you guys think?

Here are the ones I looked at:

Iā€™ve never used overhub so cant comment, but I use a powered hub by orico which I got via amazon for like 30 quidā€¦Iā€™ve not had any issues so far with using OB controlled boxes, or with push, my usb midi - cv box+merge module, OB6.

Are you using it with Overbridge?

Yeah, so far no issues.

@Rumscheid303
should be fine with USB 2.0 OB devices, but since it uses a VL812 chipset (single transaction translator), MK1 Analogs may present issues with that ORICO hub.

Yea, just to be clear thus far Iā€™ve used the ARmk2 and currently the DT and both work as expected. Have not used any mk1 units so worth checking before hand.