Overhub Issues

Today my Overhub died. Not sure why - it’s tucked out of the way and rarely unplugged… the green light is still on and devices seem to accept the power (an external HD spins up)… but no data connection to anything. Dammit.

Any recommendations for reliable alternatives? I know there are several threads on here but it’s hard to pick out the clear winners.

1 Like

+1 on alternatives?

Alternatives

My Overhub died this weekend after a year or so of flakey behavior. Opened it up to discover the same terrible solder quality as other posters on this thread. Every pin of micro-b socket had popped off the circuit board.

I had it velcro’d in place on a desk and every USB cable going to it was locked in place with cable management, so the amount of strain on that port was as close to zero as possible.

I think part of the problem is the faceplate that goes over that port, as (at least on mine) it didn’t line up correctly and forced the port down a fair amount. The solder joints were so bad I’m actually surprised it didn’t totally fail sooner, although it explains a lot of the weird drop-outs and overbridge problems I’ve had off and on (but since overhub only had overbridge enabled devices on it I just assumed it was an overbridge issue.)

Definitely stay away from Overhub, at least until they update it.

1 Like

My Overhub also broke (only UISB Hub that has ever broken for me). It looks cool but really isn’t anything special and is a low build quality.

I’ve got 2, and one of them bust today, same problem as others have reported with the Micro-USB host connection popping off the board despite almost no pressure ever having been applied on it.

Of course it is the one that is out of warranty, I’ll still raise a ticket but really, having looked inside, what a crummy design for the price.

The other one is basically ok as a USB 2.0 hub but I got a lot of random device disconnects using it as a USB-3 hub with disk drives. So it was relegated to USB2 and a few memory sticks and dongles, where it has been ok.

As many others have said, nothing special I think!

Can anybody recommend a known-to-work alternative for 2019?

Check

3 Likes

My Mac stopped recognizing my Overhub, in other words, anything connected to the overdub does not show up on the Mac. I have checked the USB ports and they work fine, when I connect the USB devices directly to the USB port on the Mac it shows up as normal. I am using macOS Mojave 10.14.3. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hey mate have you worked anything out with this yet, I’m having the same drama. Stayrad

hey mate, from what i have seen, the ankler powered usb hubs seem pretty well liked. Not used one myself.

Just use a regular USB 3.0 hub that has Multi TT which most have anyway, this is absolutely not a Elektron exclusivity. I use UGreen powered 7 port USB 3.0 hubs, no issue whatsoever.

1 Like

Well obviously I could always get a different USB hub but I spent good money on the Overhub and now it does not work, I am trying to find a fix so I don’t have to buy another one.

Put a support ticket in with Elektron. It is possible they could just send you a new one.

3 Likes

Try doing a PRAM RESET If you’re on Mac:

You do this by turning your Mac off and back on again, while it’s booting up hold down the keys P+R+option+cmd, after it chimes twice release the keys and this should evenly distribute power to your USB ports again.

Same problem Mine is completely loose. Bummed. I think Elektron as a service to all of their loyal customers that have purchased their products and the hyped Overhub do a recall and replace the Overhub units for those of us that have had this issue. Of course firm up that connection first… Aggravating.

1 Like

Wow. Reading so much negative posts about Overhub. That’s bad practice, Elektron. I work in Electronics as well. Our soldering guys are quality and wouldn’t let any flakey solderings pass the QC.

I bought mine about 2 years ago. Never leaves the studio. I have constant issues with breaking connection, usually unplugging/plugging it does the trick but this morning I think it just died. Such an expensive piece of junk in my opinion, the power supply input is loose as hell (this is where the issue is coming from in my opinion). Will head to a tech store today and get a regular hub that will be well made and cheaper. very pissed at it atm

Try sending Elektron messages. I assume they will send you a new one. They did for me. The new one has the exact same janky issues but maybe you can plan accordingly where it’s placed in your studio to extend the life of it. And at least you won’t have wasted the cash. I find this overhub thing super odd as all of their boxes are built like tanks and super on point.

1 Like

Hey there!
I bought an Overhub recently and it works fine, also with Oberbridge and such. At the moment my Digitone and my Octatrack mkII are connected to it.

But I noticed a hum when I turn on my Digitone, the hum gets louder when I turn on my Octatrack and weirdly it gets even louder when I turn on my Machinedrum, which is obviously not connected to the Overhub.

When everything is turned off -> no hum.
I guess it‘s more a problem of grounding or old sockets, than it‘s a hardware issue with the overhub??? I don‘t know…

Do you have an advice or idea how to avoid that hum? The sound I receive comes from my internal output of my macbook pro which is connected to a mixer (if that matters).

Thanks in advance :v: