Overbridge, who's happy?

Never really liked Overbridge it’s way to soft and even more when compromises become clear like less channel streaming in 24 bit and not possible to slave in jam sessions.

And on computer major OS updates it’s a nightmare. For example the beta of macOS Sierra 10.12 was available in july… so it takes 5 months to adjust Overbridge to a new computer OS. Let’s see for next year on macOS 10.13…

However if Elektron turns up with a standalone Overbridge mix hardware machine like the Roland MX-1 than i would go for that in a split second :wink:

1 Like

From a mixing, ITB producing view OB is irreplaceable.

One can simply use the AH as a plugin to fatten up, eq, filter, etc basically anything just by throwing the OB plugin on the track. For example sometimes I get drum recordings that are from the “let’s replace that with a sample” world. With the AH/OB combo I can fatten up and process the recordings. One can have presets for vocals, bass, and throw the plugin at them. Time saver. One can tap into the analog circuitry without having to mess with cables. I can see people buying 8x AH and use it as a channel strip for each track. For me this is the best of both worlds.

I know there are some guys out there (@ON-OFF-ON) who can achieve a great end result without going to DAW. I’m not that guy, I suck at that. And once you go DAW, OB is the way to go.

1 Like

^ yeah, in an ideal world, that would be super. But the reality is that cables are less complicated to mess with than the OB software.

5 Likes

Can’t speak first hand but I don’t really see it that way as I’m pretty happy with ITB AH equivalents and see the ‘one instance’ nature of AH and having to constantly freeze/bounce wet tracks and also not being able to adjust multiple tracks character in context without taking a bunch of ‘un-freeze’ etc steps as a PITA? Seems to be working for you tho so maybe in practise that kind of stuff isn’t as much of a vibe killer as I imagine it to be?

Time saver when the alternative is to do everything manually with outboard gear without the possibility to save or recall anything. Sure, you’ve got to bounce or freeze each track.

Yeah, for me it works. Of course if it doesn’t it’s a pain. I hate cables! :slight_smile:

Yeah I meant compared to decent plugins :wink: obvs it’s a matter of taste whether others are happy to use plugins tho. For mixing I usually find them adequate, especially just for tweaks after recording pretty close to what I wanted at source.

Edit - slightly derailing, sorry, didn’t mean to get in to the plugs vs analog realm :wink: just clarifying what I meant when saying I probably wouldn’t personally get much of a ‘time saver’ workflow benefit from the OB + AH combo. Probably the opposite :wink:

It’s absolutely fantastic, runs like a dream on my system. Gives me the individual outs on the A4, saves mixer/AI inputs for the RYTM. The editor makes the machines a pleasure to program and now with the Heat included, the icing is on the cake.

I use a standard IMac and simply do not experience all the problems people talk about. Sure it crashes every once in a blue moon, but big whoopsie - I save regularly and never lose anything.

I think it’s a fantastic technology and unless you’re one of these ‘no computer’ puritans, I think you’re missing out on so much by not using it.

6 Likes

This is kind of where my hang up lies. I’d much rather pay couple hundred more for a unit with separate outs and more knobs/ui… But there’s no denying that in reality OB does make sense for the reasons you mention with Elektrons hardware decisions. Good to hear it works solid for you. Going to check it out soon if only to make programming the AK performance macros quicker :wink:

And automating those macros!

Also additional LFOs for the RYTM via M4L

Assuming you use a DAW, but you might be a no DAW guy

2 Likes

Pretty heavily Daw based… I need to check it out :wink:

1 Like

Despite all my praise I suspect you’d find the limitations of OB pretty quickly if you tried to run 8 heat plugins simultaneously.

is it possible to run more than one heat vst at a time? I find I get an error when trying to

I sort of assume not, which is what I was saying, but I may be completely wrong about that.

Yeah sure. It’s more like what could be coming in the future :slight_smile:

Might get more help if post in the recent AH +OB threads. Not sure how many people in this thread own an AH :wink:

Yeah, I see what you mean, nothing can compare to plugins in the time saving realm.

2 Likes

I own one. One, that is.

1 Like

The idea is great: no cable dongle and need for a audio interface with loads of inputs, clip automation within the DAW.

The problem is the implementation:

-Audio quality, in my case crackles

-Unlike other vsts, the parameters on the configure menu don’t update, meaning that if you twist a know on an external controller (Push for example) it will destroy the sound because it doesn’t follow the position of the parameters of the preset. Making it imposible to automate through an external controller and being stuck with automating using the mouse through the overbridge UI.

Is a total different ballgame that has dependencies on 3rd parties: operating systems and DAWs

Given the lack of regular updates I am guessing it will never work good for everybody and it will quietly be abandoned at some stage.

Long waits for same old errors very frustrating!!!

1 Like

I wouldn’t be able to use the AK unit without it… I really hate programming the AK from the little screen. Totally sealed the deal on Elektron gear for me…

3 Likes