Overbridge troubleshooting with Mac M1

Hello folks! I just installed the new overbridge and A4 OS in hopes that it would cure my overbridge audio glitching, but no dice. These used to work fine on my intel Mac but ever since hopping over to m1 world I get periodic glitches. Anyone have any advice for troubleshooting this? I couldn’t find any in search - but if there’s an existing thread, I’m happy to know about it!

I had the same problem, I bought a shorter/better quality usb-c cable, that solved it for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for this tip! Do I understand correctly that you got a usb-c to usb-b cables? and then like a hub for those into your computer’s usb-c port?

Yes, usb-c to usb-b

2 Likes

What cable? Just curious as I am in the same boat.

1 Like

Which DAW are you using? Or Stand Alone?

What boat?

I’ve updated Overbridge and my A4mk2, and OB is now not seeing the A4 at all.

I thought it was an issue with my Digitone and Analog Rytm too, but when I keep the A4 switched off those 2 are fine… so I think something has screwed up the A4 with these updates.
I don’t think it’s cables, they were fine before the update and I switched my Digitone and A4’s USB cables around, DN still worked, A4 didn’t.

The boat of just getting a MacBook M1 and wanting to make sure I have the right setup for OB to work.

My overbridge issues persist in both Bitwig and Live and even the standalone overbridge apps. The A4 and the Rytm are recognized fine but they have audio clicks and glitches probably once per bar. Not presently usable. I have an m1 MacBook 2021 14". I bought a usb-c to usb-b cable that is supposedly “for audio” – whatever that means (I’m basically susceptible to magical thinking at this point). I’ll update as soon as I can give it a try. And pass on a link if it actually solves my problem.

4 Likes

Just a regular usb-c to usb-b cable.

Updating this. I used a regular cable and at first ableton did not see my a4. But i did some googling and found out that if i went into system preferences, overbridge needed a permission unlocked. Once i did that - perfection.

Compared to my older pc desktop, overbridge seems to sync up instantly and sends clock out right away. I will record some arps today and look at the sync. What i noticed though is the clock on the a4 instantly switches to the right bpm and does not waiver at all.

Wonder if these new macbook pros have a really solid clock? That would be pretty awesome if so. I have no idea yet but super tight sync sure makes hardware integration much smoother and more appealing.

1 Like

Glad to hear you are all sorted! can you link to what you found on google or describe the permission?

Sure - system prefs - security and privacy, then privacy and look on the right side of one of the panels for it to say something like “overbridge doesn’t have permissions”. If you don’t see that, that probably is not the problem, but if you do that should solve it.

Runs super fast and smooth for me so far.

1 Like

Welp, just following up to say that, kind of improbably, the USB-C to USB-B cable thing seems to have fixed my situation.

Hard to say 100% because I cautiously just ordered one cable so I haven’t yet tried the set up with both AR and A4 but . . . so far with just A4 - the glitches are gone. (and I had tried using just A4 with the electron supplied cable and it was still glitchy).

Thankyou @Peter118 for the recommendation!

Kind of an annoying solution as I now need to get a hub that will allow more usb-c inputs!

4 Likes

And, though I am at this point sorta talking to myself. . . I will leave this here in case anyone has this issue in the future.

As Peter suggested, getting USB-B to USB-C cables solved my overbridge glitching woes. I didn’t realize it would make such a difference. (M1 Macbook with Bitwig, A4 and AR mk2).

These are the cables I used:

2 Likes

is your problem still solved by changing the cable? wich hub r u using now? I have the overdub and I have so bad clicks and cracks I can’t work.

1 Like

It’s insane. More than a year late, this thread still helped me.
I bypass the use-hub, and directly connect my RYTM to iMac with a simple usb-c to usb-A adapter, and my RYTM has never dropped the overbridge connection since.

2 Likes

I just installed for the first time OB on my old Mac (2012)…and attempted to use OB - Heat as a plug in for track ( internal…not with the hardware or any hardware attached)
Is it possible to use it as a standalone…?

Im currently having this issue. Does a direct connection seem the be the only solution?

I’ve tried using overhub with a USB-C adapter, and also tried using the USB 3.1 hub that’s built into my monitor. Neither seem to work.
I’m trying to connect 3x digis to my M1 Pro MBP. It only has 3 ports so this means I’ll have to go without my monitor and soundcard and any other hardware I want to connect.
Both solutions worked on my previous 2016 intel MBP.
Turning off midi ins and outs on the digis seems to make the problem better but not solved completely.

I guess I’ll only be able to use 2 machines at one time and the single cable dream is dead for now.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, I have similar issue, I have an M1 MBP and using ST+DT w/ OB causes me tons of pop. The only workaround I could find was plug the factory usb cables directly into the MBP but I use these little usb-b-usb-c adapters that might be introducing issues, I don’t know.

I have a usb hub in my monitor that was definitely contributing to the pops also but not completely gone still. Damn I guess I need to buy some usb-A to usb-C cables that sucks