Overbridge troubleshooting with Mac M1

I’ll try with the DT soon. Same laptop as you and same adapters. What OS? I’m on Monterrey still.

MacOS 14.0, removing the usb-c monitor helped but I am still getting a bunch of pops. It might be the shitty usb-a to usb-c adapters I have. If anyone has a suggestion that is cheaper than the Chromacables or a usb-c dock that works, I am kinda pissed I need special USB cables (if that is even the solution).

1 Like

Ok so you aren’t using the apple USBa to USB c? That could be the issue. I am on OS 13 still. I just got my digitakt and have not tried OB on it yet, but ill post when I do. I had some issues with it in the past with an anolog rytm, but an analog 4 synced up very tightly. So it’s quite tough to figure out, even Elektron support was not really able to help. I think they may still be struggling Apple Silicone. but maybe that has changed. Hopefully someone who knows better can pop in.

Hmm thanks for trying though. I think I think it’s because I am using the standard Elektron USB cables with these shitty USB-B to C adapter but I can’t confirm this because I don’t have any USB-B to USB-C cables.

While USB-C should fall back fine (and I’m using OB fine with my M1 Macbook Air), I would definitely just buy a Cable Matters/Anker one that doesn’t suck, it could be just that stupid.

2 Likes

Yeah I paid the $20 for the apple usb adapter. I also have an overhub that I’ll probably start with. It’s been great for me so far. I have a lot of midi controllers running into it.

I have been using one of those Anker USB-C hubs with HDMI and Ethernet etc no problem with DN, DT, AK and AR. MacBook Air M1 and Mac mini M2. Buffer in Ableton is 64 or 128

3 Likes

Okay thanks for reassuring me @thermionic @BassesAndPads @SoundReverend. I will get a good USB-C hub. Frustrating because I have an Anker USB hub but its USB-A so it either has to go through my monitor or an adapter which is probably the source of the issues… At least the Anker USB-C hub is 18 Euro so it’s the cheapest solution hopefully.

2 Likes

I just dig through my emails and in 2022 I emailed elektron about issues with overbridge and my MacBook Pro. OB was crashing in standalone mode on me. They told me at the time that they were seeing issues with MacBook Pro m1 but not regular M1 chips. It has been over a year since I sent that email so I hope they have fixed it by now.

Just thought I’d share because it’s important to make sure and have dialogue with the support team.

It doesn’t crash though, it’s just audio glitches/pops. Will update here when I get the new USB-C hub and test the audio out/in via OB.

1 Like

I was receiving some due to heat-releated throttling on my M1 Air.

Thermal pads evened those spikes out (especially during the summer.)

Good news, I received the Chroma Cable USB cable today and fired up overbridge and did a quick recording. Came out perfectly, no issues with glitches in any of the tracks. I will do a longer take very soon and update if I have any problems. But that cable linked in post 14 seems to be a winner. Worth it to spend a little more in this situation and get something reliable.

Quick update. I just recorded a tune that ran 6 minutes. I record into OB standalone and don’t mess with the DAW setup. Dragged all the audio into the DAW and it sounds perfect. No clicks, no drift, lines up perfectly once trimmed to the first beat. Flawless recording. So with the Macbook M1 Pro and the chroma cable, I am looking good. If anything changes I will update, but I think I am set.

I reset my MPB before just to be safe. I also just use the default settings in OB since latency and buffer doesn’t really matter in standalone recording mode.

1 Like

Thanks for following up! How’s the performance with using OB in the DAW in your setup?

It was solid when I used the Digitone with it.No real problems luckily.