Overbridge side discussion from DT thread

That doesn’t take into account the issues that arise when you have several USB2 devices sharing the bandwidth. USB3 would solve this.

And how about latency? USB3.1 Type C with Thunderbolt support would make it possible to achieve near-zero latency.

New PC’s and Macs are already including USB3.1 / TB ports so it would be nice if audio interface manufacturers started to support it too.

It really doesn’t matter in this case. USB 2.0 is not an issue.

4 Likes

Seriously guys, i think they know what they are doing regarding usb 2. you’re creating problems that dont exist here.

2 Likes

I have had lots of issues with noise/crackles (probably due to shared bandwidth with other USB devices, though it sometimes does this even without any other USB devices connected) with Overbridge on my Analog Four. When it works it is really great, but unfortunately it is not always stable for me (I have tried with both Windows and Mac). That is why I am worrying about how they implement it with DT.

Analog Four is USB 1.1, that’s a whole different story.

4 Likes

exactly

Does that mean it’s never going to work properly? That is not what was sold to me.

No, but some systems can have issues with the connection, relating to bandwidth. That’s why we made the Overhub which uses an MTT connection to avoid the bandwidth issue on some system (mostly laptops due to limited I/O)

That might not tie in to your issue though - I just responded since it was not a valid comparison.

5 Likes

Give it a rest lemons, less of the anger please. and do your research properly first before lashing out maybe yea. nice one

Sorry about the anger, but it’s just very annoying that Overbridge isn’t stable because it’s part of the reason I bought A4.

I just wanted to give some background why I am not 100% certain Elektron “knows what they are doing” with Overbridge in DT either even though you seem to be certain of it.

I have been thinking how USB 2 would let us upload/download programs, sounds etc… and do it very quickly.

However earlier machines (including rytm) probably won’t be able to take advantage of this.

a4 is usb 1.1

We already discussed this yesterday, but anyway: That doesn’t change the fact that it should work as Elektron advertises it as “Overbridge enabled” device.

So the fact that Overbridge isn’t stable in A4 even after years of development doesn’t make me confident Overbridge in DT is stable either, no matter what USB version they use.

I would be happy to be proven wrong of course. Have we seen even a glimpse of DT Overbridge yet?

I don’t think you should draw conclusions / generalizations from your own situation : it works really great and stable with my setup (mbp late 11) so it might be the computer that doesn’t do its part in your case.
You could at the very least suppose it does.

3 Likes

stable to me too

OB on A4 is stable for me too.

Yeah, it’s great that it works for some, but you only need to take a peek at the Overbridge section of this forum to see that it certainly doesn’t work for everyone.

I have i7 6700K with 16GB of RAM in my Windows PC and I also have late 2016 15" Macbook Pro with Touch bar and I have issues with Overbridge on both at times.

1 Like

a4 ob is not working for me . 39ms latency . was just pointing out dt is usb 2 unlike a4 usb 1.1 . i like the overbridge idea . sorry for ot

1 Like