Overbridge [pre-announcement and June 2015 launch]

Hey,

just read about the overbridge sounds like a cool new and useful feature.

What do you think about it?

I can’t wait, it seems too good to be true :slight_smile:

One thing I thought is how you could use it as a polyphic sound module with 4 separate presets loaded. Even though you can only play 4 notes at a time, that will be extremely useful within a track as each VST input can have it’s own Effects/EQs etc… I think it’s amazing how polyphony has been implemented as it can be used by any channel at any time, so as long as all channels don’t play together it is 4 x polyphonic analog synths… brilliant. From within a DAW having parameter automation this will great.

I agree it sounds like an amazing new feature. I was just thinking about this because I would like to record some live sessions so it gives you so many new possibilities.

I can’t wait to see how able ton deals with this, world changing event. Audio devices are only one at a time so on OS X you can make a virtual audio device with merges the I/o from multiple places, but ableton says it is not stable. But if my rig adds the rhythm, I’ll have three machine speaking in to it.

I’m really hoping that it is possible that the VST has direct access to the audio stream and that the main ASIO (etc) driver would be unchanged. Unlikely though as in the Overbridge video I’ve seen clearly shows ableton receiving audio from the “Ext IN” which is the main audio driver set in Ableton preferences.

I’d like to see some linux drivers for it too, if only to allow multichannel streaming into a small standalone (raspberry pi + audio card) breakout box to 4 mono trs sockets.

this is informative:
http://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4376143/Fundamentals-of-USB-Audio

dunno, but on the surface it looks like a high-quality low-latency multichannel bidirectional audio is possible with the class-compliant protocol… so in theory, no custom drivers needed, if Elektron decided to go that way.

1 Like

You can already achieve that with this editor if you happen to be using Live with M4L.
An Elektron made VST with all the other goodies is of course very exciting, especially as i’ll probably be moving away from Live soon so need to wean myself off M4L devices.

I noticed that in the video as well, but I think that was only because the VST isn’t ready.
In theory it should be like how the Virus works with audio over USB in that the audio is completely managed by the VST, so no need to aggregate audio devices or anything clumsy like that.

The trouble is that the TI doesn’t work properly for most people (including me), I came to the conclusion that it was a hardware limitation of the Virus and so hope that similar sync/latency issues don’t plague the A4. I spent months trying in vain to get it working properly, but in the end only used the plugin for sound design. I feel optimistic that it won’t be that situation though, it is much newer technology.

I wonder if the A4s are USB 1 or 2?

[quote="“Kosmology”"]

The trouble is that the TI doesn’t work properly for most people (including me), I came to the conclusion that it was a hardware limitation of the Virus and so hope that similar sync/latency issues don’t plague the A4. I spent months trying in vain to get it working properly, but in the end only used the plugin for sound design. I feel optimistic that it won’t be that situation though, it is much newer technology.

I wonder if the A4s are USB 1 or 2?[/quote]
it’s USB 2.0

Man, that is ONE butt-ugleh cat you got there stegi… :astonished:

yeah ugly but charming :slight_smile:

Yes, charming in a Voldemort/Vader sort of way! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yes, the dark side of the cat :slight_smile:
btw I also found in A4 specifications on Elektron site that converters are 48kHz 24bit D/A A/D; so 48kHz will be max sample rate in recording when A4 will be used as a soundcard? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

[quote="“Kosmology”"]

I wonder if the A4s are USB 1 or 2?[/quote]
I doubt anyone has released anything that is USB 1.1 in about 10 years.
I believe the chip on the TI2 is USB2 but streams audio at 1.1 speeds for legacy or CPU reasons or something.
I doubt there will be such issues with Overbridge which will use USB2.

1 Like

yeah I think it has to be a low level integration. I have never seen an ableton vst which brings in hardware audio which the leave the audio device alone.

For this to work as you are hoping the audio aggregater on OSX will work but Ableton states it might be flaky.

My impression is that the Overbridge track sends are mono and pre-effects, based on one of the youtube demos. I’m guessing that they are using the effect loop ADCs to pick off the signal.

colon braid

Thethe the fuuuutuftuuftuuuureeeeeeeefuture