Overbridge [pre-announcement and June 2015 launch]

vein weave

yeah I think it has to be a low level integration. I have never seen an ableton vst which brings in hardware audio which the leave the audio device alone.[/quote]
The Access Virus TI VST works exactly this way. You can have your normal audio interface selected in Ableton, and the VST will take the place of External Instrument entirely, handling the audio output from the synth.

If Overbridge works that way, then you wonā€™t need to bother with the audio interface.

yeah I think it has to be a low level integration. I have never seen an ableton vst which brings in hardware audio which the leave the audio device alone.[/quote]
The Access Virus TI VST works exactly this way. You can have your normal audio interface selected in Ableton, and the VST will take the place of External Instrument entirely, handling the audio output from the synth.

If Overbridge works that way, then you wonā€™t need to bother with the audio interface.
[/quote]
So @joshEjosh, does the Virus TI act as an audio interface or is in ther in addition? Meaning you have a 16 in mixer, and the Virus has (I donā€™t know) 2 imputs, will ableton see 18 ins?

If it does, have you ever found clock slippage?

Having 4 outputs (plus the stereo output) opposed to just having the stereo output is hardly nothing!
Maybe it means nothing to you personally if you donā€™t use a computer, but the vast majority of people do, so thatā€™s a huge reason to make Elektron gear work more smoothly with DAWs and in this case with great new additional features.

Well thatā€™s fine, nobody is forcing you to change how you route your audio. :slight_smile:

My feelings are a little mixed on Overbridge, for the analog-series it is awesome news, for the digital-series it feels rather ominous.

With the amount of effort I have made to climb the rather slippery slope of seamlessly integrating hardware with software especially for live performance use, I think of something like this to be a godsend if implemented properly. I really look forward to what the future has to offer us for creative possibilities. To the geniuses with photographic memories who can more or less remember and smoothly jam every intended pattern change, fader level, send level, track mute, pattern chain/mashup, FX assignment and everything in between from of a 30 track multiple machine 1.5 hr set, I congratulate you. Personally I could use a little technological love beyond what I have designed for my own use to make it all run a little more smoothly. IMO, software integration is where Itā€™s at at and Iā€™m not exactly a kid looking for more bling!

Can Overbridge also grab the audio from the inputs and send it to my DAW?
Would be a nice way to jam with two machinesā€¦

I prefer analog summing so I hope for future products that they keep the hardware individual outputs on the machines!

So @joshEjosh, does the Virus TI act as an audio interface or is in ther in addition? Meaning you have a 16 in mixer, and the Virus has (I donā€™t know) 2 imputs, will ableton see 18 ins?

If it does, have you ever found clock slippage?[/quote]
The DAW sees the Virus TI VST plugin as a soft synth (VSTi) with midi going in and multiple channels of audio out. You will not see the output streams as ā€˜external insā€™ in Ableton, for exampleā€¦ They are simply output channels from the VST, just like you might see with Battery or some other multi-out VST instrument. You can also set it to be the audio interface for the DAW, but Iā€™ve never tried it that way.

Clock slippageā€¦ wellā€¦ when the Virus is connected properly the VSTi plugin calculates the delay from the USB and the device itself and reports that back to the DAW, so when you render/print/freeze the output of the VST is perfectly aligned. HOWEVER, there may be latency when playing it in real time. The system appears to be really sensitive to what USB port it is being plugged in to, BTW. It will almost certainly crap out if there is a hub, and many computers have a hidden hub on the motherboard.

I donā€™t really use the TI plugin much. Itā€™s just not worth the hassle many times.

I have been using elektron because I donā€™t like DAWsā€¦ But what I do is us the 8 outputs on my Korg Zero4 into Ableton as an 8 track recorder. What I am assuming is the a4 will need to take over the audio device from the Korg. If instead the Korg remains and the A4s audio routing gets presented through the VST, I believe there can or could be timing issues between the CPUā€™s clock and the audio cardā€™s Clock. when recording in from the A4 and the Korg at the same time.

I rather be wrong in this case because I would be happy with my 2 A4s and my AR (when they are out) plus the Korgā€™s 8 Tracks (actually 18ā€¦ but that is another story)

well saving settings with daw projects sounds like a smart idea but using an Elektron box as a ADC? I dunno and syncing Live or some other DAW from it? good luck with tight sync if you wanna do multiple passes. I have had my last frustration with such nonsense when I bought a sync-gen.

I could see sync working well if the Elektron devices are slaved to the host via VST sync over the proprietary USB connection. This seems at least similar to how the Innerclock boxes work, and they work just fine, right?

not quite. The innerclock takes audio pulses from daw track (analogue pulses generated from their soft ware and out through an audio interface) and converts them to midi clock, din sync, analogue clock etc from their device thus taking computers and midi out of the equation. Itā€™s an A HA moment when you first use one

You hear different opinions from different people on how good a midi clock you can get from a DAW -or how well it will respond to clock . I tried a few different midi devices and setups but it was never good enough (mY set up is a mac with AMT8 midi interface). Maybe midi over usb is better but from what the pros tell me, I doubt it

THE OCTATRACK NEEDS THIS!

One thing I was wondering guys - in the demo it says Overbridge will allow Analog 4 to be used as an audio interface. That sounds cool. So I was just about to upgrade my old m audio fast track pro to an apogee duet mainly because I wanted to sample some of the sounds from the A4 to my computer better, but also because I wanted a better sound from my speakers. Does this mean I now should wait til the end of the year and wonā€™t need the duet anymore? I am guessing the audio over USB will solve the sampling issue but do you think that sending other, non Analog 4 sounds from Ableton to speakers via A4 rather than, say Fast track pro will give a better sound? Thanking you kindly

YES!

What about Overbridge for iOS? So you can combine Appā€™s with the analog world! Just imagine AniMoog, Wavegenerator or Samplr with analog filtering. Or using Lemur to control the Analogs!!! Also the portability is a big plus

If Apogee can make it work with the Lightning connector, why not for Elektron?

The Duet is a lovely device if you need the high quality mic preamps it offers. If you just want to get line-level audio into your computer, then something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 will give you exact the same results for a lot less money.

Thank you T
and another question about Overbridge. So you create a great 4 voice sequence on the A4ā€™s sequencer, and you can then send each voice to separate midi tracks in, say, Ableton, right? And when you change one of the trigs on the sequencer, this will change on the plug in and therefore in Ableton, right?