Overbridge & macOS Big Sur

True. Apple could sort the Big Sur problem by just including a big clearly labelled switch to disable all the ‘protection’…
For computer illiterates surfing the web and downloading any old crap the Big Sur security is a good thing. But my music computer is isolated from the net and only has things that I want installed.

The new Apple Silicon however, is a great and necessary step and unfortunately it may require 3rd party developers to update their material, no way for apple to get round that.

My suspicion is that Elektron have not bothered doing any work on Big Sur until they can also combine that work with adapting for the ARM architecture… To avoid a potential situation where they put work in on an update for Overbridge on Big Sur and then Apple Silicon comes along and breaks it again.

Yeah. I wouldn’t want to argue that Apple’s developments never benefit the consumer.
But they could do more to make it clear that you can’t just update as soon as it’s available and expect everything to work. Which a lot of people seem to assume.

2 Likes

im still on Sierra 10.12, dont want to lose my 32bit apps and im just scared to otherwise lol
i hate wasting time on upgrades and then wondering whats not going to work properly anymore

Some updates of course take longer to deliver than others depending on how complex or fundamental of a change is required. That said, it would be great to hear an update from Elektron given that their last notification, that I’m aware of, was almost 2 months ago.

Not expecting Elektron to get this update out immediately or anything. I just foolishly updated to Big Sur and am only commenting here for catharsis.

3 Likes

After 4 daw windows pc and because focusrite doesn’t develop there thunderbolt drivers for windows10 for there claret range (still a beta version)
I 've chosen to go for an Imac, and I must say for me it works better when I compare it with my previous windows daw pc’s.
I have like 50 % lower latency compare to my windows daw pc(which has almost the same specs) and Cubase just runs smoother in my opinion.
Don’t get me wrong I’m totally not an apple fanboy.
But to go on topic I’m also waiting for the compatibly of OB and Big sur, but I have the trust that electron will find a solution.
I don’t have for the moment any reasons to upgrade to big sur so I can have the patience to wait to upgrade.

Everything is working perfectly on my Imac, there is still nothing I cant do (that I need to do) because I’m not on big sur so I don’t see the need to upgrade (yet)

1 Like

Looks like the new update is out! Has anyone given it a test run?

Posted 20 minutes ago, give us time. OB isn’t ready for Big Sur yet.

2 Likes

Hi donot,
your fix worked for me until i updated Overbridge today.
I had to redo the recovery mode terminal command and then I opened terminal to add the ‘sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext’ and i get the message ‘The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory’

Any ideas on how to get it working?
I’m totally naive to terminal et all.

Cheers.

no sorry i have no idea, i didnt try again i’m waiting for the official update.

Hey David!

Can you give us any updates on progress/expected end date? Appreciate the hard work!

Can anyone put up the previous version of Overbridge? I had it working fine with Big Sur by disabling SIP and sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext. It looks like the new version does not have ElektronOverbridge.kext but does not work with Big Sur. Thanks.

Elektron, please post a download link to the previous version of overbridge. Thanks :slight_smile:

Just to confirm:

• I’m on Bug Sur 11.1 (20C69)
  • with the latest Overbridge (2.0.44.3)
    – transfer works with Digitakt
    – USB audio in/out show up in settings (didn’t try)
    – Overbridge doesn’t work, didn’t even recognise Digitakt
  • after turning off SIP, uninstall 2.0.44.3 and install 2.0.41.11
    – I didn’t have to enable the kext manually, the installer ask me to do that in Security & Privacy
    – after restart
    – Overbridge works, Digitakt shows up, audio coming through
    – Transfer works
    – USB audio: in/out show up in settings, audio doesn’t come through, so I guess it’s not working (btw don’t use it at all, so I’m ok with this)

Overbridge 2.0.41.11 direct link: https://se-elektron-devops.s3.amazonaws.com/release/84c1b8b2-2081-5311-8db6-3aa9479a8456/Elektron_Overbridge_2.0.41.11.dmg

6 Likes

same thing on Big Sur 11.1 MacBook 2013 late and Analog Four mk2 with Overbridge 2.0.41.11

GO FIGURE i have a midas venice f24(2013) that works great with BIG SUR and ableton/repear/logic but my Digitak (midi brainchild) said no to it … THIS WORKED !!! Thanks S0 MUCH

1 Like

So I guess it’s foolishly optimistic to hope that elektron will comment here on progress?

Hey. got an RME fireface 800 here, released in 2004!!! and it works better than ever on big sur and appliesilicon.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for this. Works on my intel mbp… with BigSur…
not on the M1mini… though.
but at least I can use the laptop as an overbridge librarian.

Glad to know this is being worked on. Do we have any idea what time-frame we are dealing with?