Overbridge & macOS Big Sur

Hey guys, I’m not great with the tech side of this. Has anyone been able to wipe their hard drive and reinstall an older OS?

Not me, but google has some answers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=downgrade+from+big+sur+to+catalina&oq=downgrade+from+big+sur+to+catalina

The installer didn’t ask me to do this. Any clue how to do it manually?

There is a command in this thread (kext load something), you should try that.

Did this work for you? I disabled the SIP and entered sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext and I got the same error. No option to approve via system preferences that I can see…

Doesn’t work for me either…
Do we have any news on a possible release for the compatible version of OB ?

Just FYI for anyone else curious – I emailed them asking about an estimate and they’re unable to give a ballpark estimate at this time.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, I guess that doesn’t sound very positive then…

nooooo, I can’t wait longer

Don’t tell me… Just received my Digitakt and cannot try it with OB!
I feel so dump for doing this update to BS few weeks ago my god.

but you can use USB audio, right?

Even though I could use OB I am not using it … just realized that - my last Ableton project was saved with the filename projectnameXY(DNprojectname+Pattern#) - this works pretty well for me :grinning:

what‘s your „case“?

Yeah I can.

Still trying to figure it out what’s the best set up for this purpose in Ableton though…

How do you process ?

I set the input device of Ableton to Digitone and use my headphone out of the Macbook (because on Catalina/16“ MBP Digitone output is buggy)

Then I setup a track with Ext In and the tracks I want… add VSTs etc.

In MiDi Setting I set Ableton to send out clock / transport.

Also use MiDi Tracks of DN to control stuff inside Ableton

What l like: I can use the INs of the DN to get another HW Synth into Ableton.

As someone who works all day every day with Macs, I think it’s worth countering the “Apple provides a lengthy beta period” argument with the truth about the Apple beta programs: things change throughout the beta period, sometimes with breaking changes and some that are not revealed until the release candidate stage, or that are promised but not available in the beta. So some of the blame lies at Apple’s door for neither properly documenting nor properly supporting their beta programs. (I still have feedback from several releases ago unanswered).

However, the move from kernel extensions to system extensions has been signposted by Apple for several years, although the tools to
work on this were not provided properly until Catalina’s release, so I’d expect most of the work to be done by now but Elektron are not alone in this period of catch-up. Several antivirus vendors are in the same boat.

Lastly, I’m not sure that the people doing the firmware are macOS programmers so I think it’s also a bit of a false equivalence to call out the OT update.

4 Likes

How come you can’t? That is weird. In that case you can’t use overbridge if it comes available either.

Just connect digitakt with usb or audio to computer audio interface. Select correct input channels in your daw. And there you go

technically you can get other synths via DT into your daw. But why would you do that? additional latency issues.

Hi everyone! So what’s the best practice for M1 Mac owners right now? Can’t even install Catalina as Big Sur is the first supported version on M1 macs. Yikes. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!

Wait patiently.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome.

Guess then I’ll just sync the Elektrons via MIDI OUT of the interface and grab the audio via the audio outs of the Elektrons.