Overbridge & macOS Big Sur

Sounds like they aren’t too worried

3 Likes

Imagine where the firmware could be now if the time and money was used to further develop that instead of OB, and maybe adding multichannel audio over usb using standards. It would also save lots of time and money in the future not having to keep up with macOS and Windows updates. At some point updating OB simply isn’t worth it anymore from their perspective. It’d be like throwing money in a fire.

So what is it that makes application not working on Big Sur anymore? Both OS are 64 bits :thinking:

I haven’t quite understood this I think. Would it be possible to do multichannel audio over usb in a more universal and future proof way than all the functionality of Overbridge?

1 Like

Audio only, like how Elektron added stereo out over usb on the Digitakt. The same can be done for all audio channels. The benefit of using a standard is that it will be future proof and it works on any device that supports the standard. Like an iPad, mixers, interfaces, etc. etc. I’m not expecting that to happen but it would be nice :wink:

1 Like

What I don’t understand is that it was known that some applications needed to be changed to run on Big Sur and developer versions of that were around for some time.
So either Elektron was not aware of this announced issue, or the development takes longer than expected.
As a non frequent visitor of this site, I’m quite disappointed that I wasn’t informed via email, so maybe I wouldn’t have installed Big Sur just yet.

1 Like

But your devices still work like a charm and get security updates.
now imagine that you had devices running windows or android with support fading for drivers (win) or updates (and) after 2 years or so. And those gadgets are not for cheap either.
My iMac is 6 years old and still up to date, I’d say well invested money.

There was an email on 13 Nov. When was Big Sur officially available?

1 Like

We’re beta testing Overbridge for Mac OS Big Sur.

12 Likes

It was available the day before.
Developer versions have been released from mid June (ish)

Great! looking forward to it

As a general rule of thumb it’s not advised to be an early adopter on a machine you need for Production, be it data, film and video, Music, etc. I’m still running solidly on 10.13.6 and will move to a new OS only once i’ve verified, not assumed, that all software I rely on has issued statements of compatibility.

2 Likes

are you testing on intel machines or also the m1?

1 Like

Update on the M1 machines would be great.

For now, without adaptation Ableton Live seems to work fine, as well lots of VST’s through Rosetta 2 (with totally ok performance), so to have universal binary on these machines makes it quite powerful!

Anyone on Big Sur / an M1 Mac feel like investigating if Overbridge is in the same situation as Airfoil in this case: https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowledgebase/?showArticle=Airfoil-ACE-MChip

I can definitely see why this wouldn’t be a recommended approach as it’s more or less a bad idea. It’s a bad idea I would personally try though if I was on one of those platforms.

1 Like

This could very well be the cause. I just got my M1 Mac mini and I had a similar procedure to install the drivers for my rme ufx. It seems that Apple yet again tightened the security screws for kernel drivers, that many audio devices need.

btw: Native Instruments installer doesn’t run at all on the m1, so no maschine or ni komplete on new apple silicon yet.

Well, actually Overbridge works fine on Big Sur after disabling the System Integrity Protection. So yeah, Mac OS security seems to be the reason

Update: I was wrong, audio driver doesn’t work

3 Likes

I disabled SIP, but my Mac still cannot detect my Digitakt :frowning:

Hmmm. My analog rytm mk1 works fine

Update: I was wrong, audio driver doesn’t work

You must load the driver via Terminal with this command
sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext