Overbridge & macOS Big Sur

Aren’t we going on close to a year, since BigSur was available for testing? Not that I don’t love a good Apple bashing, but at some point, we need to stop blaming Apple for slow development.

4 Likes

Brill I did not know you could do that. I shall have a play this weekend. Thanks!

1 Like

Ha!

Hi All,

I realised I have replied to someone on this thread but throwing this out there for anyone who may know.
I am struggling to figure how to set up my Digitone with Ableton, without Overbridge.

Would really appreciate if anyone has experience with setting this work around up and could shine some light on it for me.

This is what I have set up so far:
Digitone audio outs into my Scarlett audio interface inputs 5/6.
Digitone usb connection into Ableton.
Key step midi out into midi in on the Digitone.
In the settings section of the Digitone I have the usb/midi configured turned on.
Digitone master page I have the left and right panned correctly and the volume on channels up.

Now I think where I am failing is in Ableton.

I have a Midi track open in Ableton with the Digitone selected and audio out going to Digitone with Chanel 1 selected. I am not receiving any signal from the Digitone but seem to have signal from key step but no audio out.

I 100% know it’s user error but can anyone make sense of what I have done and guide me to get this all to sync please!
I will be eternally grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Elektron-Management,
it´s now March 2021 and there ist still no sign of a functioning version of overbridge for Big Sur.

Honestly, I think, that is a very poor performance, a bad treatment of your customers and all in all unprofessional behaviour. Sorry, but I think you are jeopardising your reputation here.

Best
Alex

4 Likes

It a full, new OS to deal with with a complex app. Not many audio software companies are there yet, either. Be patient

2 Likes

I was checking the Presonus forum to see if Studio one is compatible with M1 and the same unhappiness there. I’m sure all companies are hustling to get their product out to the masses with as few bugs as possible. It’s a no-win for these companies, release early with bugs or wait till it’s solid. Either way, people will be up in arms.

Maybe give a holler to Native Instruments. Looks like they figured it out

Hey just thought I’d mention for folks that already updated to Big Sur and want to use overbridge that it’s now very easy with apfs to have multiple macOS versions running on a machine. You could install Catalina or if you install Mojave you’d have a partition that still can run 32bit apps as well…

Edit: I should add to do your own research first and make a backup, proceed at your own risk, etc…

I have been researching a Mojave/Catalina dual boot and that seems to work OK but I have read about some issues using Big Sur and older OS’s… Perhaps they were jist with Big Sur beta and are resolved with the latter updates, I’m not sure… I figured since its an apple support doc it would be safe to post but I don’t know for sure…

5 Likes

So I should partition my computer, re-install Ableton and all vsts on the partition and then I can use Overbridge? You are joking right?

I’d guess it’s more of a friendly work around than a joke.

4 Likes

I know and thank you for the advice - just getting a bit frustrated with this nothing against any of you guys

I didn’t tell you to do anything my friend. Just giving an option that some folks might want to explore and of course others won’t…

I’m actually stoked on the idea of a Mojave/Catalina dual boot because I feel Mojave is more of a polished end of an era OS before Catalina starts making changes and is more experimental, Mojave is quite stable and can run 32bit apps. Catalina is required however to run the latest Logic and other software I’m sure will follow. I’m going to try to share sound libraries and other things to minimize double installs…

4 Likes

In case people have already read my comment and are indeed interested, I’ve now attached a warning, do your own research, make a backup, proceed at your own risk, etc… As I realize its a drastic thing to do and I can’t guarantee it will work or that ypu wont lose data…

Why do you need OB so badly. You can use audio/midi over usb. The only difference is that you can’t record 8 channels at the same time. It is slightly more work, since you need to record channels separately. But that is only 8-10minutes. Rest is same.

1 Like

I’m checking Elektron’s IG feed and the forum everyday for the Big Sur fix, but I have to say, I have zero beef with Elektron for the wait. It sure sux for everyone, but I don’t doubt for a second that they are on this and doing it right, and want to get this out as much as everyone here.

I definitely learned a lesson not to upgrade my OS X until I know what the launch paths are for my audio setups.

One thing though, I’d love it if Elektron had a more open way to allow users to try the beta. It was only offered somewhere within this mega thread, and I missed out. Surely they can just have a dedicated post or page for willing beta users?

1 Like

I think they already had more than enough users. If you allow a lot of people then it will put a massive strain on the testers. In order to keep up with all the findings. And most probably there will be a lot of duplicates. Hence it doesn’t make sense to add more people than required.

1 Like

I have tried to suss this work around out but so far I have been unsuccessful.
I know this is a lot to ask but would you be able to upload a video or a detailed explanation on how to do this? I would be mega grateful as I really want to record into Ableton. Thanks in advance.

OB saves four audio connections. My Interface has six inputs - without OB I’d have to get a mixer or a new interface. Also with OB I can get each track separately into my DAW.

1 Like

Will the beta work for an Intel Mac too? If so, I’d love to try it too!

I’m on:
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I’m on Catalina today, but will upgrade to Big Sur as soon as you say you’re ready. All the other plugin developers I rely on (Universal Audio, Genelec, Native Instruments, Izotope, Soundtoys, Fabfilter, Celemony, Eventide, Moog, Novation, etc.) have supported Big Sur for a while now, but I’ve been holding out to maintain Elektron compatibility with Logic Pro as I’m fairly invested in your ecosystem too at this point (DN, DT, A4MKII, ARMKII).

Thanks!