Overbridge in macOS Sierra

I had to uninstall Overbridge in Sierra, even with using the steps outlined here using ditto to strip away the 32 bit portion of the kernel extension.

On my machine it worked, but the system was using so much CPU that it was impossible to work, so I looked at Console.app and there were thousands of assertion errors from Elektron every second (something about buffer being 48 when it should be 0).

I’m guessing if it was as easy as to just strip the binary, they would’ve released an update already.

I’m not seeing any major CPU hit. No assertions either.

I was thinking that I begin on OB on the wrong time but with your deal it worked !
Thank you a lot !

2 Likes

Just want to shout out a massive thanks to this forum.

Coming from El Capitan on a fully loaded Macbook Pro 2013 with Overhub only recognising 1 of my machines… USB 2.0 trick didnt work…
Upgraded to Sierra and followed the little Terminal hack after re-installing Overbridge and rebooting and now I get 6/6 in A4 and 8/8 on Rytm on the USB 3.0 cable supplied - Ableton working without a glitch (for now!) :sweat_smile:

In any case, massive thank you to all contributors for their insight - it’s forums and members like these that make this all worthwhile. so THANK YOU. :pray::pray::pray:

4 Likes

For info, Access have just released a public beta version of their drivers.

Yep Nikarga, I’m seeing similar improvements in increased number of channels.

Huge relief… I use 16bit 6/6 and 8/8 with no dropouts so far…
So grateful for this - else my overhub would be rendered useless… :pray:

1 Like

Yep - I was in the same boat. I was telling this to both Elektron and Access support and neither would believe me. Both kept telling me that they had the same Mac as me and there were no problems.

I’m convinced that Apple has been doing something like - using different USB chips, from different manufacturers - even on the same model Mac, where the MacOS driver support for one is/was worse than the other.

Still, after nearly 2 years struggling, looks like they eventually came through.

I wrote to Elektron support a cpl of days ago when the USB 2.0 trick didnt work… this is what they replied which is pretty much consistent with what we know. Unless I missed it in this thread, I was not aware of the “place at opposite ends of the overhub” trick mentioned in their reply:

This is unfortunately an issue in how OS X handles USB connections. The operative system doesn’t allow the user to allocate more than 2 channels in some cases. Our drivers and hardware (Overhub) cannot change how the operative system handles USB devices. What you could try however is to connect your Rytm and Analog four to the opposing sides of the Overhub (far left and far right port), this should use both individual controllers on the Overhub and should let OS X address them separately.

1 Like

My A4 and Rytm are immediately next door to each other on OverHub. Virus Ti is next door to those. Seems to work fine now with Sierra.

More specifically El Capitan. They introduced some changes to the USB stack in that update to harmonize with iOS. Caused a lot of issues unfortunately. Seems to be better in Sierra.

1 Like

It didnt work right off he bat, I still had to run the terminal command for OB to pass audio through all channels of both A4 and AR

I had similar issues with Yosemite.

Thanks y’all! I did the Terminal stuff and it worked for me finally. 10.12.1

2 Likes

Me too! Finally getting things back up and running after the update! :diddly:

1 Like

Which Terminal command Nikarga? Fiddling with ElektronOverbridge.kext or enabling/disabling SIP?

Between the 10.12.1 upgrade, re-enabling SIP and diddling the ElektronOverbridge.kext, I am back to “one or the other” between my AR and A4.

When OB is working, DAMN is it fine. Being back to this ish is such a drag.

Enabling/disabling SIP not required.

Just go with the .kext mods.

1 Like

@dgadwa
Hi pal, just follow the below from earlier in the thread as @Purusha pointed out and @esperdiv wrote below:

1 Like

…and remember potential reboots etc. as described further up the thread.

Thank you so much! Just got my new Rytm and I don’t have free inputs in my audio device, so without Overbridge things were looking bleak… But the kext fix terminal commands + reboot worked! \o/ (10.12.1, not clean install.)

1 Like