Overbridge in macOS Sierra

Well people, it works.

I did exactly what the instructions in the link Purusha provided above and I now have Overbridge working with my Analog Four (1.23c) on macOS Sierra (with the new update pushed out today).

Now, admittedly, I installed the update but did not test overbridge with it without having first tweaked with the above instructions so two possibilities:

1. The 10.12.1 macOS update fixes Overbridge (could someone test if that alone does the trick?)
  2. The technique that I’ll describe below fixes Overbridge on macOS Sierra.

Here’s the steps I took (modified it a bit from the instructions given on the virus board):

Open the Terminal app.

Copy, as a backup, your Overbridge kernel extension to the desktop:

sudo cp -a /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext/Contents/MacOS/ElektronOverbridge ~/Desktop/

Extract the 64-bit portion of the kernel extension and copy it back to your Extensions system folder:

sudo ditto --arch x86_64 ~/Desktop/ElektronOverbridge /Library/Extensions/ElektronOverbridge.kext/Contents/MacOS/ElektronOverbridge 

No reboot necessary, I currently have Overbridge running inside Live 9.7 on macOS Sierra 10.12.1

Wow! Thanks a bunch @Purusha

6 Likes

As an addendum to my previous message. If, for some reason, you run into trouble with this, you can copy back the original driver you placed on the desktop into the Extensions folder:

sudo cp -a ~/Desktop/ElektronOverbridge /Library/Extensions/
1 Like

I just provided the link. It’s the other Virus guys who deserve the credit. :slight_smile:

Good to know it works though.

1 Like

I might try the MacOS update first though and let you know.

Weirdly, Overbridge is working for me, before the .1 update, and without the hacks. :confused:

1 Like

Thanks for the updates - After getting a MacBook and stupidly updating OS before checking (I was excited) I’m crossing my fingers hoping this is the case for me too when I get home from work.

Didn’t fancy my chances with Terminal and some of the workarounds but keeping an eye here, surely the Overbridge update is close or am I being overly optimistic?

Warning - I’ve just updated to 10.12.1 and the fix isn’t working for Virus Ti at least.

…and the good news is, that Overbridge works - with more channels than I could achieve previously! :smiley:

Just need to work out why Virus isn’t working…

1 Like

I guess that what you reported as working ! is probably because you have made an update from El Capitan with Overbridge already Installed. But maybe (and i said maybe) it’s not the same when you make a clean install (i mean create usb stick with bootable sierra, erase hard drive, then clean install) THEN when you install Overbridge it’s (maybe) should be different and not working as in your case. SO TAKE CARE EVERYONE TO BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE TRY

1 Like

It is working William, as I said above.

In fact - I finally have the fully working Overbridge system I hoped it would be!

I’ve got 6 channels running from A4 and simultaneously, the same from Rytm! Previously, on El Capitan, I could only run a stereo channel from each. This is a major step forward for me!

1 Like

I not said it’s not working i said it should be different behaviour when you make a CLEAN INSTALL (Install SIERRA from Nothing on hard drive) rather to MAKE AN UPGRADE from EL CAP to SIERRA

If you made a clean install, update 10.12.1, install overbridge and it’s working.
SO it’s cool then no need to be worry

1 Like

My only concern with this method is - what happens when you then install the Overbridge / Virus TI update for Sierra? Shouldn’t be an issue on paper, but you never know with these things.

2 Likes

Plus what about People who want to use Ableton Live in 32 bits mode because of 32 bits Plugins…
With that Extraction ? Plus what about warranty covering with software user modification if it’s damage the Machine… i do not Know just have that in mind :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t be a problem Simon. In the worst case, an uninstall and a re-install will cure it.

This method is merely removing the 32 bit drivers from the system.

I honestly can’t see this causing any permanent damage (for what it’s worth, although I’m not a Mac expert, I’m a software engineer who’s worked on drivers for 30+ years).

Btw, I’ve got Virus working. I had to:

Uninstall my existing 5.1.3 suite completely, reboot, then install the 5.1.3.0v2 suite.

Looks like Access still haven’t properly sorted out their upgrading of the suite…

2 Likes

Thanks for the assuring answer!

1 Like

This has nothing to do with the overbridge plugin that Live (or another host) uses. This modifies the kernel extension (driver) to only contain the 64 bit driver instead of a universal binary containing the 32 and 64 bit.

As an experienced apple developer, I can assure you that

1. It doesn’t harm the OS
  2. Is easily reversible (reinstall overbrige or copy from the backup)
  3. Should work on new installs and upgrades

There’s nothing groundbreaking or mysterious about the technique.

4 Likes

Yeah this is a lot like copying a suspected bad pref file to see if it went corrupt or is causing an issue (run into this a lot with Adobe stuff on our Macs at work).

I’m excited to see that audio performance is increased in Sierra. I have a 2013 Mac Pro, 12-core 2.7GHz with 64GB of RAM, it should be rocking and rolling but with even with a fresh El Cap install there always seems to be something amiss with it. To the point where I’m considering dumping Cubase (I’ve been a user since 2000) to see if Logic will improve performance.

I wasn’t even considering going to Sierra but now that you guys mention USB audio improving…well…

@esperdiv @Purusha
Can you guys described better. It’s not working for me…

EDIT :
It’s ok i have to uninstall overbridge. Re-install and follow the exact same procedure. And i admit it works. So nice workaround without deactivate SIP - THANKS

1 Like

@Purusha @esperdiv thank you guys so much. It really works. Awesome.

3 Likes

@13pm I don’t deserve any credit for this. Just happy that I can finally get Overbridge on Sierra.

Question is: If it was so simple, why didn’t Elektron post a quick / dirty update? There was no code change required on their part…