Overbridge & Heat

I stopped using OB months ago because it was not stable. I only bothered with it again cause I heard Elektron fixed it.
I wonder if they have and it was my unit playing up, but maybe this is not the case after all.

Back to not using OB again then.

Just got word from customer support on the ticket I opened regarding this issue.
They suggested that I upgraded to Sierra if possible, to which I replyed is out of the question and if there is another solution, to which the reply was that at this point there is no other solution.

So OB is not fixed as far as I am concerned. Oh wellā€¦its unstable anyway.

1 Like

USB 3rd party support got borked in osx 10.9.5 until sometime before sierra. This is not a trivial matter to fix.

Overbridge and Elektron are at the mercy of external issues with USB support. You refusing to update to Sierra is not a reflection on OB, itā€™s a reflection of your refusal to update.

I run OB on Sierra and can assure you it is as solid as a rock.

1 Like

Itā€™s tough to expect a company to make sure compatible with older osā€™s. The way I see it it would be broken if it worked on an older os but not the new oneā€¦

2 Likes

Thereā€™s real issues on MAC with USB and Ground ! ā€¦ thatā€™s not elektron fault ā€¦ and itā€™s worst Mac after Mac I canā€™t remember how many external drive I burnt because of the USB problem, usb stickā€¦

On my new one itā€™s working okā€¦ but my Mac automaticaly eject my headphone. The OT mount when it wantā€¦ (when I have it and elektron told me they know the issue with Mac and ground) it sucks

I hope they will make the new line of iMac betterā€¦ this summer

1 Like

Absolutely

I refuse to update to Sierra cause everything else works in my solid system, including Rytm and A4 Overbridge, for the most part anyway.
For some reason Heat, just wonā€™tā€¦which is not a big deal really, Iā€™ll just use it as an insert on my mixing desk. Just that they said they fixed Overbridge, and in the system requirements they do say that it supports ā€œor Mac OS (10.8 ā€“ 10.12) and that also supports OpenGL 3.2 or above.ā€ I have no idea what OpenGL is though.

Like I said, Rytm works, A4, works, Heat crashes, its the only bit of gear in my studio that needs Sierra and I am on Yosemite, I will not do the same mistake I did with my older MacPro and try to update to the newest OS. With computers I am of the belief that ā€œif it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix itā€. So I am sticking to thatā€¦not being an apple funboi as well.

Cheers!

What you can do is using Time Machine and save your whole disk on a SSD drive.
Then try upgrading.
If itā€™s not working, itā€™s dead easy to restore your HD from Time Machine.

Errrā€¦ It is broke.

Leaving the irony aside, its not broke of course cause its a hardware box with analog I/O that works perfectly well, but it would be nice for people that rely on OB to know what they are getting into.

People pay a premium to buy Elektron products, the people that are in here know that very well.

The reality of the situation is that many people, get a working system and stick to that for years. Of course many people upgrade to the latest OS, but the fact that many people will just stick to a working system until they buy a new computer that will work well with the newest OS, still stands.

just google ā€œosx 10.9.5 USB FTDI problemsā€ and see for yourself. The fact remains, Apple fvckd their OS up and only fixed it recently.

Around 6 months ago I ditched my A4 and AR after OB refusing to work, and even locking up my system. Iā€™ve just got an Analog Heat, updated firmware, latest OB software, and with my iMac 5k 2015, fully updated Sierra and up to date Ableton Live.

Iā€™ve heard lots of good things about the AH, and itā€™s ideal for y sounds. I figured that surely with the new hardware coming out that OB must now be working and the dream of integrated hardware is a reality.

Soā€¦it runs for around 2 mins then a terrible digital clipping distortion happens. The box is directly connected to my iMac, no hubs, but still I canā€™t get Elektronā€™s flagship software to work

IT IS STILL BROKEN. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE, STILL!!?!! I was on the OB beta for A4 and frankly that ran better. Itā€™s not like my machine is some home made PC tower running an outdated OS, itā€™s Appleā€™s current top iMac, with itā€™s latest OS and running arguably the most popular DAW. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.

When facing the same problem with different configurations, I tend to put my doubts in the part left unchangedā€¦

Have you contacted the support ?

Did you do a fresh install of the OS? I sometimes have the Heat drop off or hiccup when I first insert it, unplugging the USB cord and plugging it back in gets it working for me - and that only happens in Cubase, itā€™s been stable for me in Live.
After about 8-10 months I usually do a fresh OS install. It takes time but it squashes so many weird bugs from the constant update cycle so much software is on.
Iā€™d also try contacting Elektron Support and see if they have any suggestions and do the usual check of your latency and other settings to make sure your system is good to go.

I didnā€™t as frankly that would be a huge undertaking. The machine is used pretty much exclusively for audio anyway so thereā€™s no risk of the usual excess crap from other tasks lurking. Also, I shouldnā€™t have to reinstall an entire machine to fix a single plugin. I did a full uninstall of Overbridge though.

If I change the buffer it goes for a bit but then returns. I could contact Elektron but really I canā€™t see now what they can offer besides some magic beta that might fix it, but given my success with OB so far, I doubt it. I might try to tun it as an external effect over audio, otherwise itā€™s back in the box, barely an hour after opening it.

Iā€™m just so let down with OB for the XXth time. That must be why Elektron donā€™t demo at shows with MacBooksā€¦

EDIT - I should have a caveat with this - it is entirely possible Apple have put in some substandard USB system in it, given their seeming intent to move away from ā€˜realā€™ computers to iOS stuff.

EDIT 2 - Using on a good quality powered Aukey USB 3 hub - so far, so good. Maybe it it really is poor USB internals on the iMac, though the hun is connected to one of them at leastā€¦ Humble pie is out of the freezer though, if not yet in the oven.

Suit yourself, I guess.

The reason I mention a clean OS install is that itā€™s the first thing in the chain and users a lot of times donā€™t consider there could be leftover crap in the OS if they install a new version (like going from El Cap to Sierra) or even a new iteration of the same OS (like 10.12.1 -> 10.12.3). I deal with weird stuff on production systems all the time at work for a TV company and we do this on a yearly basis. It would be the first thing Iā€™d consider if itā€™s been a long time and things arenā€™t working right. This also depends on how badly you want/need something to work for you. If itā€™s not worth the trouble to try to solve the issue then I guess itā€™s not worth itā€¦

I can guarantee that Elektronā€™s test system, to ensure compatibility with a product theyā€™re supporting, is based on a fresh OS install image (along with whatever DAW, etc).

Hereā€™s a question though, have you tried the unit without using Overbridge to make sure it works properly that way? Assuming youā€™ve already done the obligatory reboot of the system, trying a different USB port, making sure itā€™s ONLY the Heat plugged in and seeing if itā€™s the USB bandwidth, adjusted latency etc.

Thanks for your reply by the way, donā€™t mean to sound short! It appears to be behaving with a hub so Iā€™ll test it for longer and if it stays working then i hold my hands up - though in my defence the chances of the inbuilt USB on an Apple being the issue would normally be quite small, or at least well known by now.

Fingers crossedā€¦

Oh donā€™t worry about it haha
Youā€™re right, USB hardware usually just plain works - though Apple did have a lot of software USB problems with El Capitan that were fixed in Sierra. Best of luck I hope it works itself out.

I have the same problemā€¦ Heat is crashing my OverBridge with Ableton :frowning: