Overbridge & Heat

So, after all these experiences… Should I update to AH OS 1.02 and overbridge 1.15?? Or wait for 1.03 and ob 1.16?

Just bought my AH and have been happy with it so far without updating, just running my 12MTK master out into it via cables. I’d rather not start “betatesting” since that is almost my day job at times… ie. am used to getting paid to do it lol

Against my better judgement, I updated to ob 1.15 and AH 1.02

I can totally kill the AH by connecting the USB cable now.

woopee, shame on me for thinking the issues would only be limited to a minor unlucky bunch of windows users.

Submitting a support ticket ASAP. Cannot believe I bought this thing thinking the first version release of OB for it wouldn’t bite me, considering I constantly still have probs with OB with my AR (i7 MBP/ableton)

I guess if you read the manual Page 20 you will then know it’s the truth

2 Likes

^ well that one is a given. How could it be any different? Analog processing, uses physics and so on.

2 Likes

Yeah I recommend anyway to not use in Ableton ANALOG HEAT as a Send Return… This morning I run on my configuration another tests because yesterday with my full LIVE setup I ran some issues.

SO I came back to the basics my computer, internal audio, overbridge devices ONLY plugged into my Overhub (Analog RYTM, Analog FOUR and Analog HEAT) I can on my iMac get down to 32 buffer without issues. But as OB the lower is 64 so I stick to that. I have not so much problems there regarding recording latency, the one I can solved by some tricks. I must recognize I have issues regarding OB disconnection with the Analog HEAT, I need to plug-unplug USB to get things working sometimes. (That’s for now the only things I must to isolate and understand but as AH is very new I guess it will be better next firmware or OB update.)

(I will try to plug Analog HEAT on one computer port to see if it’s change something but I doubt of it… I have this OB error message 3 or 4 times this morning and after that I do not see again and configuration seems to stabilize theirselves in the time, that’s just a feeling I quite note sure about it.)

I think at least for me the best way to use Analog HEAT under Ableton Live is to use it (not in send return because I will always need to record the processing, then how I will record it is based on DRY/WET percentage I looking for… and maybe then I will organize myself and use it differently)

The only situation I have in mind where I can use the Analog HEAT as a send-return is to working through it like a master chain, processing tracks through it and then deactivate > render > mastering stage.
I don’t know if you guys EQing/Compressing/fx your track through a master chain but I think in this regards someone could find useful to replicate that kind of working scenario)

So if I have Analog RYTM with all the individuals audio stream I selected + the Analog Four. I would group the tracks I want to process. I put the Analog HEAT on the Group, I process the way I want. I create an Audio receiver from that group and I hit record. FOR NOW that’s how I think I will use it for processing matter.

I read manual page 20 and realize.
I think this bounce related strange sound collapse is bug.
But this is specifications of overbridge so does not fix.
OMG!

I have pretty good results with Overbridge & Heat when used to process audio coming from a group and RESAMPLE the processed signal in a new audio track. I will probably create a support ticket for OB connection PB message to asking to unplug replug USB cable. Also I notice activate deactivate on the Ableton plugin icon ON-OFF create problems so it’s preferable to use dedicated Active button on the Analog HEAT itself.

With only Overbridge devices, ABLETON session is OK where you want to get in the session let say Master Out and Cue Out from the Octatrack with your sound card at the same time as all Overbridge Audio Stream, there it comes more tricky and unstable.

But with only OB devices, a Overhub a 16bits 44100 session (High Quality quality frequency conversion) Buffer at 64 samples, Overbridge plugin also at 64 samples and SYNC mode clock.

I put on the OB plugin track a track delay from 38sample (0,86ms approximatively) and my Audio record is tight. Pay attention if you change anything like Sample rate, buffer, things can get confused. so it’s better restart Ableton. But to me it’s usable…

I will try Logic Pro and Bitwig Studio to see if it’s better…

I will try the opposite ALSO with my X18 and simply forget SYNC and get things as old school Multitrack recorder to see if I prefer working like that. generally speaking I observe that is more stable to working and focus on parts (so resources are light to process I would say one machine with overbridge at a time and if needed coming back to save state on that part to shape/tweak… and record-resample again…), bounce and add things rather to would like to start with ALL in front of me READY to…

Then when all is bounced as audio, it’s more easy to the ANALOG HEAT to process… otherwise she’s have too much streams to HEAT via Overbridge from AR and A4 and things can LAG

1 Like

This may be of interest to Ableton users.

2 Likes

Yes basically what I did… I just reply what written in the OB Manual…

Anyway in all TEST I made today… on Ableton, Logic Pro, Bitwig Studio, Renoise, Nuendo
and my configuration is iMac 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7 16 Go 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 Mo Sierra 10.12.2 (that’s one thing possibly could make the Analog HEAT some connection trouble as it wrote 10.12 and not 10.12.2 in the OB Manual problem I have is to plug unplug USB cable to restore OB Connection with the HEAT and that’s happen only for the HEAT… but it’s a baby for now so I guess it will be fix soon)

My overall rating regarding Stability, Latency, Sync, Audio drop, Crackle, Disconnection, Pleasure in the session is this and only Overbridge Devices session, Maximum Stream possible with AR, A4 and AH + 8 audio loop + no VST processing before bouncing audio stream for Elektron Device. AH processing only bounced or real time recordings… it’s not so nice to process audio stream from OB that’s my point of view unless to have an idea of how it sounds but then bounce and process … :

1 / BITWIG Studio (probably the plug-in sandboxing and one process for each plugin is a real bonus, I have no royalties at Bitwig, I didn’t like the User Interface at ALL but general stability ! THE ONE where the HEAT seem to be the most STABLE and WORKING without issues)
2 / Cubase - Nuendo
3 / Ableton Live (it should be at a better place but require a lot of testing, adjusting, track delay and not mention several crashes…)
4 / Logic Pro (The WORST with ANALOG HEAT and require a lot of routing to bus… and come back to audio tracks…)

So you’re saying that with your setup, Bitwig gives the best results with overbridge?

Absolutely Tsukek so if you have kind of same configuration I suggest you to download Bitwig Demo and give it a try to see how you think about it… don’t forget to check in preference for VST running each one in one process. Then it a matter of midi and audio + OB Plugins nothing complicated. Of course buffer to setup mine is at 64 samples both OB/Bitwig. Buffer Safety Margin: 25 / 50 (But I really didn’t like the user interface though maybe I when I will get more familiar with it I will be ok… for now I just decided to use it for getting Audio Stream from Overbridge and Processing with Analog HEAT but then there’s chance I continue my session elsewhere…)

https://www.bitwig.com/en/download.html

1 Like

Ok. Thanks for this information. Unfortunatley I can’t find a way to switch off fx return out.

Also sounds bad for me, I can’t use it for any non-real time processing.

Which as somebody who’s almost entirely ITB, makes it almost useless.

I’ll be in touch with support as soon as I have got Christmas stuff out of the way!

WTF. Seriously.

Recon I’m selling mine then.

Hello I running some tests again only on Overbridged Devices (AR, A4, AH)

I can confirm what I advanced… Very nice session on Bitwig Studio pretty tight as you can see on pictures I put there I zoom in a lot so I can tell you it’s pretty usable.

High Zoom :

Crazy Zoom :

I recorded ALL STREAMS from Analog RYTM (Main + 6 individuals) and Analog FOUR (Main + 4 individuals) Processed in Real Time Resampling with the ANALOG HEAT… I put the Recorded File here so you can listening there’s no Artifact, bug, errors in anyway, pretty tight and usable SYNC… Pay attention to listening it to a SAFE volume as I gone literally crazy with Filter, Resonance and Distortion models during the Recording.

it’s a tiny tiny way in advance on the beat but it’s so tiny… and with how I see groove I tend to play most in advance rather than occasionally in late… so not a big deal. Bear in mind that, one bar (or 4) more at the beginning of your record if you really want to be safe in case of your kick is tiny eaten a bit… But at my hears it’s OK

1 Like

Should be a given.

For me, however, it only seems obvious after it was just announced…

Elektron would do well to spread the knowledge on their site and product advertizing. Analog processing only works in real-time - such an obvious fact might be completely new to people familiar only with ITB

1 Like

This does not seem to work, just tried in Ableton 9.7. Followed the instructions on Ableton’s page in that link.

But I might be doing something wrong.

But for now, for me, resampling from the channel with the VST on is the way forward still, in Ableton at least.

OK, it works if you export the whole master channel , I was trying to export only track/channel 3

1 Like

Yes, this is the catch