Overbridge crashing Ableton Live 10?

Hi,

Using latest Overbridge version (after using uninstall/reboot/install/reboot) with MacOS 10.15.5 and Ableton Live 10 (Suite).

I have a single Overbridge device (Digitone) running latest DN OS 1.30.

When using DN in Overbridge mode in Ableton Live projects, I have noticed the following events that occur repeatedly:

1. Regular crashes of Ableton (after brief “beach ball” hangs). Recovery projects are often unable to load due to a “serious error”. This does not occur on the same setup/project with DN in USB mode and plugin disabled.

2. Moving DN plugin track (e.g. from track 1 to track 8 in the Session view) results in “beach ball” hangs - which usually resolve - but not always.

3. State synchronisation between DN, OB plugin and Ableton project saving is causing long save times and frequently I get prompts on the DN to select either device or plugin state - even when not saving the project.

None of the above issues are seen when running without OB.

Are any of these known issues and are there any diagnostics or config that help?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Since installing the latest OB (2.0.39.10) with the latest updates for DT and DN on Windows 10, if my Elektron devices (DT, DN, AR mk2, A4 mk2, AH mk2) are powered on before I open Ableton Live 10, it causes Ableton to crash all the time. That wasn’t the case before. So, now, I have to open Ableton before powering on my devices. Why? Anyone else?

Does the USB Port on which my devices are connected can cause this behavior? Because, recently, I have rewired my whole studio and the only thing I can see is the USB Port not being the same as my previous setup.

4 Likes

Yup. Exactly the same issue, also on MacOS 10.15.5.

My machine is an early 2015 MBP. The Overbridge System Requirements state “Overbridge 2.0 requires a high-performance computer”!! Not sure if that’s more of a recommendation with that kind of loose definition? What qualifies as high-performance??

That being said, I’m wondering if my machine is just too old?
FWIW I have a Digitone, and a Digitakt running through an Overhub via the USB 2.0 cable, because the Overhub USB 3.0 cable does not work (apparently Catalina is to blame for that one).

I am desperately wanting to love Overbridge … but right now its driving me round the bend.

I’ve switched to using 'USB Adio/Midi" setting in “USB config”, to make the digitone and the digitakt into standard USB Audio and Midi devices … (using an Aggregated Device in MacOS Audio Midi Setup App see YouTube vid). Its ok as a workaround for getting the sound in … but you lose the VST like control sweetness of Overbridge …

Really hope that helps for you. And if you find anything out, let us know!

1 Like

yup, same issues for me on Windows 10, the “new” overbridge is desperately broken, and I cannot open any session that had the VST Digitone plugin (ie all of them)

1 Like

Same here. Have you reported to support?

1 Like

Yeah I reported it and had a quite long mailing history with elektron support. I did everythin they said and sent crash-reports. But they admited having no clue whats causing those crashes.
I even updated my MacOS to Catalina and switched so Ableton 10. But I still cant run the DN as audiointerface nor I can run it with overbridge.

So in this state, I can not reccomend using DN as audiointerface/OB in a LIVE situation :smiley:
Although I finished a few tracks with DN in OB-Mode in Logic Pro X and had totally NO issues :slight_smile:

Edit: For me, equipment I use LIVE has to be totally brain-dead-crash-free-usable-whatever :smiley:

2 Likes

Are you still having this problem? I haven’t been able to fix it… everything works ok as long as I don’t have all 4 DN, DT AR & AF on before opening ableton…
it can only handle 2 switched on when opening… hoping next update fixes it

2 Likes

Yes, I still have this problem.

You did some trial and error too, good work!

2 Likes

watching this thread to see if any solutions pop up. mine is also just randomly crashing even if I wait to turn on my Digitone until after the session loads.

1 Like

This week, I had a hard time with Ableton Live. Always crashing, no matter what. So, I don’t think the issue is OB anymore. I’m troubleshooting again. I’m thinking maybe a bad installation of the Arturia V Collection update that I had to interrupt somehow. My Project that I was working on had one of the Arturia plug-in. I uninstalled everything (from the V Collection) and re-installed again. I did some tests. So far so good.

1 Like

So my issues still occur. No matter which iOS-, Ableton-Version I’m using. Apart from that, I noticed, when I’m using my fake apple-psu (@home) the elektron devices are not even connecting. Maybe this hint helps someone with fake PSUs. Try to avoid them in general, but especially with elektron machines :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey mate, are you still having this problem unable to have multiple devices switched on or it freezes and crashes?
Elektron support have contacted me and are still trying to figure out this issue and seem to be keen to work out the problem and want to hear from someone else that is having same problem…
Could you send a support ticket if you are?

3 Likes

Hey mate, Do you still have crashes on start up?

Still havin the feezes. And yes, I did contact the support having a long mailing history and followed their advices, sending them reports, etc.
So summed up, they had no idea how to fix those crashes.
In the end I decided not to play with the digitone live… its just top risky and unrelieable.
But in the Studio I recently used the AH mk1 for rehearsing. And guess what: 0 Crashes. Ableton only freezes, when using the digitone.

2 Likes

Does it crash randomly or when opening an ableton project with the plugins in it?

1 Like

Randomly while playing my Ableton live Set.
So I can load the set, start the tracks and having a bit fun tweaking my clips for live performance. But then my audio crashes and Ableton continues playing but does not put out audio. I think its more a Audio Driver issue…

3 Likes

Actually I remember I had this happening a few times as well. Not sure if these crashes are gone

2 Likes

More than ever. I have submitted a Ticket. Thank you for the follow up.

I prefer this Avatar than the previous scary one.

1 Like

Haha thanks, think they want to try fix it for next upcoming update so more info helps.
I know nothing about programming but seems like bandwidth problems or something?

3 Likes

Sooooo glad I found this…i have mentioned this on other threads regarding MIDI loops…

i too have a DN and it’s crashing FL20 on Windows 10 if the DN is switched on when FL starts (only opening a file with OB vst for DN in the session file and not a new session)…i have to launch the session then then start up the DN…it can run like that for hours sometimes and sometimes it freezes during sessions…also if the DN is on when I try to close FL it will crash…

And it’s definitely only since this last public release…

I mentioned elsewhere that the behavior is similar to a MIDI loop

We must all submit as much info as possible for DEV team to get to the bottom of this…

1 Like