Overbridge 2.7.1 installation error

I noticed a few people in the Analog Rytm thread having the same problem as me trying to install OB 2.7.1 on Mac OSX 10.14 and 10.13 so I thought I’d start a new thread.

I’m on OSX 10.14.6, uninstalled OB but can’t install 2.7.1

If anyone has a solution please chime in.
Thanks

Here’s the error I get when trying to launch the OB control panel:

Process:               Overbridge Control Panel [490]
Path:                  /Applications/Elektron/Overbridge Control Panel.app/Contents/MacOS/Overbridge Control Panel
Identifier:            se.elektron.OverbridgeControlPanel
Version:               2.7.1 (2.7.1)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Overbridge Control Panel [490]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2023-11-22 12:19:56.640 -0500
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G14033)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        B27F7153-58DC-3E3B-D710-E7C8D3D4BE4F

Time Awake Since Boot: 720 seconds

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread:        0

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _kIOMainPortDefault
  Referenced from: /Applications/Elektron/Overbridge Control Panel.app/Contents/MacOS/Overbridge Control Panel
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
 in /Applications/Elektron/Overbridge Control Panel.app/Contents/MacOS/Overbridge Control Panel

If you’re using 10.14 it means that your computer is quite old (maybe 2012?): you cant install new versions of Overbridge onto an outdated os.
the only solution is to buy a computer with arm processor M1 M2 M3

Please don’t chime with that solution

It says on the download page it’s supported

:joy: super helpful, thanks

I’ve looked up the error

DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

not sure if it’s going to help for OB, but people reporting that sometimes updating or removing/re-installing Xcode resolved that issue (for unrelated software), it could be that it will help for OB as well… worth a shot imo.
otherwise it’s a thing that needs to be fixed in OB, something to do with internal paths.

Come on man

I didn’t invent the planned obsolescence of technology, it is a precise strategy of the manufacturers. In the last year, Apple has pushed hard to cut off all its customers’ Intel computers and force them to purchase silicon chips. It has become difficult to find new apps and plug-ins that work on older OSes like Mojave, unfortunately we have no choice, other than upgrading hardware

For the record I’ve the same problem on both 10.13.6 and 10.14 on two different macbooks. Overbridge 2.7.1 brought up an error and would not install. Downloaded it twice, tried 3x and 2x on respective machines.

And by the way, currently IMO it’s the legacy OS that’s the issue, not the hardware…yet! You can still update MacOS further than 10.14 on older macs, but it’s getting more difficult every year. Elektron stated that they’ll still support MacOS 11 (Big Sur) which is still compatible with some 2013 Macs onward, so needn’t be as expensive to upgrade as the jump to the M1 etc.
Also, if you stop wanting to buy new plugins etc and use what you have, it might not be such a big deal. Remember the other type - ‘perceived obsolescence’ includes users wanting the latest stuff when they already have plenty that does the job.

Overbridge 2.7.1 won’t work on Mojave, not even on Catalina, You’re stuck with the version you’ve used so far.
It is stated on release notes:

Thanks Pitchblender, good to know.
I just wish elektron didn’t say it worked on the download page.
Guess I’ll update to Monterey, seems to be the most stable at the moment

That’s likely old copy that’s been updated around the edges, it simply is not accurate as of the recent announcement

As i mentioned, the issue came up in testing and it was evident that 10.14 was not supported … the text below needs updating to avoid further confusion though

2 Likes

The misunderstanding arises from the fact that previous versions of Overbridge still work well on outdated macOS, unfortunately V.2.7.1 no longer works.
Now the party is over, not just for elektron users, for example I use Strymon pedals: I can’t install the new update on the pedals because my macOS doesn’t support the installer.
Even if perfectly functional, Mac computers with Intel chips are doomed to death

1 Like

What can be so different about this version for it not to work? There was an OB update this year and it installed just fine. Surely this can be remedied. I refuse to just throw in the towel.

This is a screenshot from the installer just released and it clearly states that it is meant to work.
It is meant to work on high Sierra 10.13, and I’m positive that Elektron will address this very soon.

Once elektron get it sorted we’ll have a few more years out of our ‘doomed’ tech. I have 2x Mk1 Elektron boxes using USB 1.x for Overbridge & I’d be quite happy if I stopped updating for good on this current setup with macbook pro 2012 plus the new Rytm/OB update in place.

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 19.18.05

Only workaround: try upgrading the OS. This often generates complications in the already installed apps/plugins: there is a possibility that some of them no longer work.
In case the OS upgrade is not allowed by the hardware, the last resort is the bios hack (Opencore legacy patcher)
This procedure can also lead to technical complications and possible headaches.
Good luck

based on an old driver - the drivers are unified in a new ob config that’s been brewing a long time iirc - anyone the wrong side of the line will just have to accept it’s a part of the evolution - i was aware it was in the pipeline, but it surprised me too as i had installed OB recently, but it relied on the old drivers - this is essentially what i was told, the Mojave game was over

they won’t the text is clearly out of date, that text will get fixed

1 Like

Heh well that’s still technically ‘addressing’ the issue but neither of us knows for sure…