Overbridge 2.0.19 Public Beta

Overbridge 2.0.19 Public Beta

This update reverts to an older driver for macOS as the newer one was deemed problematic. It also includes bug fixes and general improvements.

Improvements since last version (2.0.17)

macOS Driver:

• Reverted to an older version of the macOS driver. This will solve various issues regarding, dropouts and glitches.

Plugins:

• Fixed an issue with loading sounds to the A4 sound pool as per the right click.
  • Rytm plugins kit load menu didn’t show the active kit.
  • Various minor and graphic fixes.
  • Minor graphics issues
  • Rytm Env. depth parameter was not bipolar
  • Fixed a rounding error in hi-res parameters.
  • Fixed an issue where if you unplugged a unit, the plugin would create a harsh sound if it was still active.

Standalone:

• Audio settings shortcut were not working on mac.

Engine:

• It is now possible for the user to turn on/off, collect and clear logs directly from the control panel.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause connection issues with Engine if two or more units were unplugged at the same time.
  • Minor bug fixes, tweaks and improvements.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause glitched and audio to appear after long sessions.

Firmware
This beta release requires you to have the listed firmware installed on respective units. These are beta OSs and are not guaranteed to work in any other setup.

• Analog Four mkI/mkII running OS 1.36_BETA2
  • Analog Keys running OS 1.36_BETA2
  • Analog Rytm mkI/mkII running OS 1.46_BETA1
  • Analog Heat mkI/mkII running OS 1.11_BETA3
  • Digitakt running OS 1.11
  • Digitone and Digitone Keys running OS 1.21

This is a public beta, as opposed to a stable release. As a result, we encourage you to submit any queries or issues to our support channels. The public beta will continue until we are in a position to release a stable version. Make sure you read the manual, the topic How to report issues and the section below with Known Issues.

Functionality
Each Elektron Overbridge device typically exposes all individual track/voice channels as separate USB Audio channels, for multi-track recording into DAWs. Some Elektron Overbridge devices such as the Analog Rytm and Analog Four also allow you to route audio from a computer host into individual track audio paths for intricate processing. The Analog Heat acts entirely as a sound processing unit. The plugin routes audio from your computer host, through the effects chain and back into the host. All Elektron Overbridge devices allow you to play audio from the computer host directly to the device’s main output, making the device act as a sound card for playing back music etc. The Overbridge Control Panel application is bundled together with the drivers, providing a simple channel monitor for your devices.

The suite includes

• Audio over USB functionality for all Overbridge-enabled devices
  • Overbridge Control Panel
  • Overbridge Engine
  • Standalone Editor for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm, Digitakt and Digitone
  • VST Plugin macOS and Windows for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm, Digitakt and Digitone
  • AU Plugin for Analog Four, Analog Heat, Analog Keys, Analog Rytm, Digitakt and Digitone

USB Audio drivers for Windows and macOS
The USB Audio Drivers will expose Audio and MIDI-interfaces for Elektron Overbridge devices.
On Windows, WDM and ASIO audio interfaces are provided.
On macOS, HAL and CoreAudio audio interfaces are provided.

Standalone Editor for Windows and macOS
The Standalone Editor allows for controlling the Overbridge enabled devices parameters via a GUI desktop application and also managing sounds and samples on the device.
The Overbridge Engine handles all USB communication between your connected Elektron device and the standalone editor.

VST Plugin for Windows and VST/AU for macOS
The Plugin allows for controlling the Overbridge enabled devices and stream audio via a VST Plugin. This makes it possible to sequence, sync and automate the device with your DAW. Audio will be streamed to the plugin making it possible to use your audio interface of choice in your DAW while still receiving audio from your unit.
The Overbridge Engine handles all USB communication between your connected Elektron device and the VST/AU Plugin.

Total Recall
This feature lets you save projects from Overbridge enabled devices into your DAW’s project.

Total Recall can be enabled by pressing its icon in the plugin. The unit will then sync the project files with the DAW. When opening a DAW project that has Total Recall enabled and a synced project the unit will ask you to confirm that you want to transfer the project from the DAW to the unit’s active project. Any unsaved projects will be lost.

Firmware
This beta release requires you to have the listed firmware installed on respective units. These are beta OSs and are not guaranteed to work in any other setup.

• Analog Four mkI/mkII running OS 1.36_BETA2
  • Analog Keys running OS 1.36_BETA2
  • Analog Rytm mkI/mkII running OS 1.46_BETA1
  • Analog Heat mkI/mkII running OS 1.11_BETA3
  • Digitakt running OS 1.11
  • Digitone and Digitone Keys running OS 1.21

Minimum Computer Requirements
Overbridge 2.0 requires a high-performance computer optimized for audio production. Elektron recommends the below specs as minimum specs.

• At least 8GB of RAM.
  • At least Intel Core i5 CPU.
  • OpenGL 3.2 capable GPU.
  • Dedicated USB host port for each Overbridge hardware device. USB Hubs are generally not supported and may cause problems with both connectivity and performance.
  • Windows 10/macOS 10.12

The specs are not the only thing necessary to have a smooth experience. Real-time performance of the system is equally important. This is affected by other running processes and by different manufacturers of computer hardware. There are tools available to analyze systems.

DAW Support
This version will work best with Ableton Live and Bitwig. But other DAWs will be supported as the beta progresses.

Downloads

Mac:
Elektron_Overbridge_2.0.19.3_Beta.dmg (69.6 MB)

Win:
Elektron_Overbridge_2.0.19.3_Beta.zip (52.2 MB)

Analog Four/Keys MKI:
Analog-Four_Analog-Keys_OS1.36_BETA2.zip (870.4 KB)

Analog Four MKII:
Analog-Four_MKII_OS1.36_BETA2.zip (905.0 KB)

Analog Heat MKI:
Analog-Heat_OS1.11_BETA3.zip (485.3 KB)

Analog Heat MKII:
Analog-Heat_MKII_OS1.11_BETA3.zip (494.2 KB)

Analog Rytm MKI:
Analog-Rytm_OS1.46_BETA1.zip (1.1 MB)

Analog Rytm MKII:
Analog-Rytm_MKII_OS1.46_BETA1.zip (1.2 MB)

Digitakt:
Digitakt_OS1.11.zip (745.3 KB)

Digitone and Digitone Keys:
Digitone_and_Digitone_Keys_OS1.21.zip (1.0 MB)

Manual:
Overbridge User Manual_2.0_Beta.pdf (1.0 MB)

Update Notifications

Run the Overbridge Control Panel application regularly to ensure you get automatic notifications about the availability of software updates directly from Elektron.

Upgrading from previous Overbridge versions

If upgrading from Overbridge 1.15 or earlier, note that a complete uninstall of the previous version will be performed first. This means you will lose any previously installed Overbridge plugins and Overbridge drivers if you install the Overbridge 2.0 Public Beta.

Known issues

• Automation using external MIDI CC or using Overbridge may slowdown the units GUI.
  • In some occasions there are dropouts when using multiple Overbridge devices, even at lower loads.
  • Higher loads on the CPU may cause dropouts when using the units as Audio Interfaces.
  • Unit selection list in the plugin stays visible when hiding the plugin if it has been left open.
  • Issue with latency for MIDI when sending MIDI from the device to another external device.
  • On some systems, Bit Accurate driver is not showing any channels in Studio One and Bitwig.
  • Stability issues.
  • VST plugin does not utilize retina resolution (Windows).

To think about when using an Overbridge unit as a sound card:

Most Overbridge enabled devices can be used as 2 in 2 out interfaces in addition to the audio over USB for each individual voice. This means that if you are not careful with your routing and where/what you are monitoring, you might get feedback or voice doubling. Especially when software monitoring in your DAW.

In the Digitakt, doubling of audio can be prevented by turning off all internal audio sent to the mains out on the Digitakt. This is done by changing Settings > System > USB config > “Int to Main” to “Off”. Auto has no effect when using the Standalone Editor.

The Heat is a 4 in 4 out interface and will not be affected by the issue described above. If you still experience issues, check in the Heat manual that you have set up the routing correctly.

13 Likes

This update reverts to an older driver for macOS as the newer one was deemed problematic.

4 Likes

That’s a wee bit concerning, since I’ve had problems with using AK and Rtym Mk1 simultaneously with older drivers. I guess it depends on how far back in time you’re going…

I could be nitpicking here, but the release notes for the Rytm MK2 1.46 Beta1 firmware are for the 1.45B version.

1 Like

That’s hardly surprising. Don’t know why you would upgrade to a brand new os if you work with audio. Pro tools only just got Mojave’s support for example.

1 Like

Hello @amreobm,

I follow the Overbridge story for quite some time now. I do think they work hard on this project as it’s sort of challenging also for them. Mojave CATALINA is not out there officially, installing developer version or public beta will not gives you more than Mojave. APFS is for me the last great thing regarding news. Dropping for good 64bits (if they do it) with Mojave will create all sort of bad things for everything not just music. Honestly i am not the last one to push the boundaries OS after OS… But with Hardware little piece of software like for C6, tools for Waldorf Blofeld and a lot of small to biggest hardware synth - there is still a lot of 32bits apps (or within dependencies in 32bits in a standalone 64bits app)

For me it’s the point non return, going too fast on Mojave CATALINA will generate stress and forum queries to find workaround and we all know ! at least I know :slight_smile: it’s very stressful…
Because you don’t make music you fix problems and it’s not FUN at all…

So if you like your little gems from elektron, I would not make the jump not now, not later this fall but exceptionally I would wait to a major claims from the biggest company that there are ready to Mojave CATALINA (not only for music…)

After that! of course you are free to do it.
But I’ve warn at least :slight_smile:

Side notes : you can help elektron by contacting them and beta test things prior to Mojave, send reports logs etc… contact them maybe they need people to do that :wink:
How I deal with those HTML5 Tags ins and del ? haha right, isn’t it ?

1 Like

Erm, yes it is. I’m guessing you mean Catalina?

3 Likes

CATALINA

i fixed my reply thanks :wink:

2 Likes

Oh but I understand clearly your point though :wink:
Just as close to you as I am… The point is more to make music than hassle with computer
Cheers :wink:

3 Likes

Perhaps just a coincidence, but using this new beta version in standalone mode as a midi editor, it’s the first time my Rytm Mk1 ever crashed (froze); on Windows 10.

Confused. 2.0.17 offered the best performance to date, still glitchy but less so than previous OB versions. Now that it’s reverted back to an old driver, should I update as due to the other improvements I’ll get better performance overall?

Yes, the driver is just a part of the system. The older driver in combination with the other improvements made should be a better experience.

4 Likes

this post can be deleted

1 Like

although this might feel like a step backwards to some (i don’t agree with that notion fwiw), i have to hand it to ob devs for being open about the roll-back. reverting to a previous build of any part of an application isn’t something devs are happy to admit to.

5 Likes

Actually, windows has no such problems regarding updating to newest OS versions. Windows 10 works like a charm and updating hasn’t been a problem on any software I use including adobe and OB. It’s the fault of apple really. I always stayed 2 years behind the latest OSX to make sure everything kept working when i still used Apple. This has always been the case and it’s hardly the software developer’s fault.

(Not meant as a osx versus windows post btw. Just correcting your statement about windows xp and putting blame on software developers :wink: )

4 Likes

I’m that old as well :wink: Been using windows since 3.1.
Windows 10 has been a breeze. Have been using adobe, Studio One 4, Ableton and many plugins including OB without an issue. That was really my point. What happened in the past isn’t really relevant here :). Again, not trying to start a windows versus OSX discussion. I’ve worked with both for many years and both have their issues and plusses. For OSX updates though it has always been the case to not update to the latest (and yes that used to be the case for windows as well, that is true, but not anymore).

Anyway, seems like a nice OB update :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s always the case for ANY operating system to wait some time until it’s confirmed that the software is stable, for mission critical operations. There were no time I remember that macOS update rendered most of the stable apps useless, it basically didn’t happened. What happened was as @amreobm stated, software developers lagged behind to prepare their software for the new operating system, which they have access to beta versions months before. This happened many times with Adobe. They simply didn’t care the percentage of the users who are updating their OSes, as most of their money-making clients are enterprise customers with really old OS versions.

Apple announced for many months before that they will cease support to 32-bit apps on macOS 10.15 and they always notified users to update their apps to 64-bit versions when they launch a 32-bit app, they also have “Legacy Software” section in “System Report” for easily identify which software needs to be updated. Now I have some 32-bit software, C6 from Elektron, MixControl from Focusrite and a legacy Access Virus Editor. Focusrite says “we have new Thunderbolt devices, even if the product we made years ago still working, you have to get rid of it because we don’t care about it anymore”. For Elektron, no indication that they will release 64-bit C6 or they will update Transfer so we don’t need C6 anymore, they don’t reply messages regarding this request. For the Access Virus Editor, it’s a 3rd party editor and most probably the solo-developer will update it to 64-bit. These problems are not related to Apple or macOS.

When was the last time you had a perfectly working stable software and a minor/major macOS release (which is stated by the developer as supported) rendered it useless? That didn’t happened for at least 15 years. Mostly software developers (read: companies) are not releasing their support updates on time. (I’m also a software developer and I know how this companies prioritize maintenance updates)

1 Like

The plug-in / editor is already 64 bit. It’s the “control” application which does backup / restore which is 32 bit.

It’s not the official Access Virus TI Editor i’m talking about, that’s why I said it’s a 3rd party editor, which is Mystery Islands Access VirusHC Editor. (There’s a 64-bit edition as well but there was a problem)

I’m sure that one will be fixed in the not-too-distant future.

1 Like