OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

I am very happy with it. Like you, I don’t want crazy distortion. I’m mainly after subtle warmth, presence and glue but I find with some tweaking there are some real sweet spots.
Don’t have a Heat, so can’t compare I’m afraid.

2 Likes

I agree with everything dcsux is saying.

It’s a great piece of gear for subtle and heavy.
And I love using the compressor which is something you won’t get from Heat.

Haven’t tried Heat for comparison either.

1 Like

Hey there. Can anyone explain the aux setting on the Bim to me?

I’m running it through an auxiliary send on a board now and I’m not sure what that option offers or if it’s relevant to my routing.

Aux out from board To L/Mono input Bim
Left and right outs of Bim to stereo input of board.

Hi. Best thing to do is set the mix knob on the BIM to 100% and regulate each track you send to it through the aux sends. Aux send levels is just like the mix knob on the BIM

1 Like

Thanks! And I can run a mono aux into the bim and come out stereo, right?

That I am not sure with. What are you trying to process with the BIM

Synths. Minimoog on a mono channel and OT stereo samples ( running studio mode 1 stereo 2 mono into the board)

Oh makes sense now. Yes

1 Like

hello good sir!

i was wondering, how do you use the BIM as a chorus?

what settings should i be going for?

thank you!

I use a short delay , no feedback, a small amount of LFO to modulate the delay length and offset to 50% to get a nice stereo effect. Delay time need to be at 7 o clock or shortest time.
This is because the delay parameter control the sample clock, 60 kHz to 20kHz, and otherwise you can get nasty digital artifact and aliasing that doesn’t sounds good.

Also you have to be careful with gain level especially if you use sounds with hight frequency content because again you get digital artifacts so input gain to max level 4 or 5 .

4 Likes

Anybody else have an OTO Bim hooked up to midi from an Octatrack that can’t turn off the tap tempo light when it’s receiving clock from the OT? I have the tap tempo light off, but it blinks when its getting clock from the OT now.

1 Like

Solved the tap tempo light issue: You or at least I can’t run the VU meters when receiving clock from the OT if I don’t want the tap tempo light flashing. This will be the 10th time I figured something out by the time Dennis from OTO gets back to me haha. @shroom your music sounds really good.

1 Like

It is ? Wow! thanks man that means a lot :slight_smile: Just as I’m sitting here having a crisis and I might just be total shit :crazy_face:

3 Likes

@Monopete I use the Boum on the master insert for glueing, thicking up and adding some warmth. Very happy with it so far. And I use distortion more than I expected, most often in combination with the filter and some dry-wet-balance. Very hands on and a lot of fun!

3 Likes

Just got my boum love it !

1 Like

Anybody wanna deep dive and walk me through how to side chain with the boum and the ot? Would love to get some ducking happening. Ideally with a mixing board.

…no boum…no bam…for me…

but bim…hmmmmm, is tickling me…got the bisquit in use since ages…so i alreay know, oto is built like a tank, has it’s very own flavour nowhere else to find and is not for everyone…

for glueing, overall warmth, fad bottom endings, filtering, side chaining pump simulations and crushing/destroying i got the heat…no need for anything further when it comes to this…

nobody should expect boum to be any final solution for overall sum shaping…oto is and always will be a special tasty thing of it’s own…and must be tweaked to shine for real and best individually on individual sonic parts and missions…

but the bim…shattering in 12 bits french way style beauty…?..could become mine…

but a friend of mine, bought all three of them and she’s still waiting for her bim to come…
so let me guess…bim is the best selling one in this trio of sonic musqueteers…

1 Like

I started with the Bim, its beautiful, but it takes work, now, I couldn’t live without it. Got the Bam. Insane wow. Rich musical textures, instant vibe, perfect magic. Got the Boum this week, and it may save me from buying an SH-101 with what it does to the minimoog. Totally their own thing, certainly not for every one. I’m just wanna making dark. trippy heavy techno that feels like it was baked in 1982 and all 3 really deliver. The bam, takes the least amount of work. The Bim definitely has personality and likes to act up in great way and the Boum, I’m just learning to get into it’s sweet spots, but man, are they sweet.

3 Likes

Using the BAM with bypass mode (just the 16 bits converter) when boosting the gain sounds awesome really !

1 Like

I think BAM is the hottest selling of the three. When I used to troll reverb for oto machines daily (I still do) I noticed that BAM would sell out quicker. A lot of keyboardists have that in their studio.

1 Like