OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

ETA - I heard back from Denis that Disto and LoFi have a stage of limiting that the others don’t so my experience is expected.

While exploring my brand new BIM, I have noticed a significant discrepancy in the volume of the delay between algorithms. I am measuring by turning the pedal mix fully CW to get a fully wet signal. The issue affects the Distortion and Low-Fi signals. When I select either of these, the volume is “correct” for about half a second but then the volume significantly drops. In distortion, the amplitude drops by 18dB and in Low-Fi, the amplitude drops by 12dB. From various demos I have watched online, I believe this to be anomalous behavior and all other algorithms operate at approximately the same amplitude.

I have attempted disabling the Feedback limiter and reducing the input signal level to no avail. I have also reset the pedal.

I’m emailing OTO but thought I would ask here too in case I’m missing something very obvious.

1 Like

You should post this in the OTO forum were the company is actively watching the feeds.

https://www.otomachines.com/forum/

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I bought an OTO bam a month or two ago and am loving it. Finally a nice non-pedal reverb unit for my synths!

I had a question about the filters though. When I change the settings on them while a constant sound is playing I get a slight clicking (especially noticeable when going between the first and second settings (20 and 80 hz) on the low cut filter). Is this typical behavior? It is not a deal-breaker, but I am wondering if it is just my unit or not.

Thanks so much!

Currently debating replacing my Analog Heat 2 with a BOUM, has anyone done the same?

Own both. Different units IMO. How are you using AH ?

I use Boum as warming unit/compressor for my synths before OT inputs and AH as master effect.

2 Likes

Some discusion here about Heat vs Boum. I only have a Heat myself but I’m curious about Boum. (Also have a Bim and Bam which I really like.)

1 Like

I was considering using the boum on the master bus to gel everything together. I suppose i could wait for another run and run the boum along that chain before we I the AH2?

It is just my opinion but I think AH is a better option on the master bus yes (Enveloppe follower, EQ …) :wink:

4 Likes

I tried that, comparing with the sslsix master bus comp. Extremely different. Just saying, I wouldn’t put the Boum in the duty of a master comp, even if I wasn’t using the sslsix. But it’s still freaking awesome one on one.

5 Likes

The filters are set to specific frequencies without any smoothing when changing values, so a clicking sound is absolutely normal when used this way.

Agreed. My use ended up being Boum on a near-limiter setting with a tiny bit of drive if needed, with mix set to 50/50 before hitting the SiX’s bus comp. Then I got a plugin (Goodhertz Tupe) which can do the same for me, since I was using Boum so subtly.

Boum is awesome for processing individual sounds or groups like drums when you want heavy compression and/or distortion. I’ve been getting some very nice analog sounding basses from fairly simple Digitone sounds.

I was very excited to use Boum as a master bus processor but for how I like it I work, found I too often ran the risk of ruining a mix by using it too heavy handedly. That sound is exactly what some want but for me it’s easier to commit to crushing a drum sound or something not on the entire mix.

I’d say get Boum to add character to your mix, but not to make it your entire mix.

2 Likes

What is the sample rate of the bim? I get a lot of aliasing with high frequency content, especially with the delay knob turned up.

It sounds like between 30khz-40khz range. There’s no specific spec. The way to minimize aliasing is reduce your incoming signal and raise the output of the BIM into your mixer/ interface. When you hit any 12/13 bit sampler hard on the input you will get aliasing especially on the high frequencies. The only way to prevent this is don’t hit the input hard and raise the levels of the output m. Let me know if that helped you out.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this info, I will try it out! So does increasing the input gain setting increase the aliasing as well? I am still trying to learn to love the bim :slight_smile: . Another question for you: where are the hpf and lpf located in the signal chain? Are they applied to the signal before the delay or after? And are they only inserted into the feedback path if you turn on a fb filter setting?

1 Like

I’ll say this – out of a heckload of delays, the tone on that one is just unparalleled. And the controls have a ton of very different tones and FX hidden behind them. I sold it, because I got so focused on the slightly fiddly way the delay time is set, and ended up buying another… Yeah.

I think HPF and LPF are before the delay, and there’s a separate feedback filter setting (lo, hi, band)

3 Likes

Yes increasing the gain increases the aliasing on any 12/13 bit sampler. This is because of the noise floor of the machines of yesteryear and hitting what I believe to be a VCA in the signal path. Since we are talking high frequencies earlier I recommend just hitting the input gradually and knowing what it does to the overall sound. Things like hats, rides, and cymbals can get messed up if you push too hard.

1 Like

I use both , I think Boum is best front of chain , then AH as master , but there is nothing stopping you doing it either way around. Patch bays are your friend for this sort of stuff!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sold on the Boum, this maybe a noob question but I’ll ask it anyways…
I have a Tascam Model 12 mixer and thinking off putting the Boum on the master. The mixer has XLR outputs and my sub has balanced inputs. How would I go about connecting the boum between the two as the boum has unbalanced inputs / outputs?

I actually email OTO about this before, and this was their response:

“You can use both balanced or unbalanced cables. BOUM have balanced jacks connectors (TRS) with the Ring grounded.
So it’s an unbalanced connection but with balanced compatibility.”

6 Likes

Perfect