OTO Boum vs Heat: anyone using both?

still anyone using the Boum on the masterbus for mixdown?

You mean like this? (Not my video obviously.)

2 Likes

Terrible review. Sidechaining part, ā€œthis is how it sounds likeā€. No tweaking of attack, release and threshold to make it sound like a decent sidechaining fix. :weary:

6 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m not a big fan of that channel, to be honest. Just remembered that video from my feed as an example of something @insect was asking about.

1 Like

oh I really like the Oora music and live performance. But not sure if the Boum is really the thing for ambient :slight_smile:

I also borrowed a Boum from my studio mate and the analyser on the RME was saying, that there was a slightly difference in the stereofield, so signal in the middle in was not exactly in the middle out.

2 Likes

so I stumbled accross this topic, which seems to have drifted; I am curious to hear if anyone uses BOTH the heat and BOUM, and if this makes any sense, or its a bit overkill?

Its a year later. Any updates here? anyone comparing the heat to the boum? or are there other similar products that came on the market (like that stimming thing, which is way too expensive haha)

1 Like

I agree here, Oora makes aesthetically very nice video content and the music is cool too, but his reviews and gear explanation is limited, and may even be a bit biasedā€¦perhaps?

1 Like

My thoughts a year after posting whatever I did:

Boum is the coolest, most fun compressor i have used, and I prefer its saturation over Analog Heat as it doesnā€™t color the source material quite so much. The filter is nice too.

Analog Heat is the coolest device with different distortion circuits I have used. The EQ sounds awesome with each circuit and the envelope follower + resonant multimode filter + lfo + midi + cv inputs makes for a great creative effects unit.

5 Likes

thanks mate! is the saturation on boum turned on by default? or is it turned on with the drive knob?

Itā€™s turned on with the drive knob and/or input gain. It can be plenty clean if you want it to be.

1 Like

Out of interest, does anyone think AH & comp (say RNC) is better/more versatile than Boum?
Since you then get more distortion flavours, resonance on the filter/more filter types, EQ, LFO, envelope follower, patch memory as well as a good analog comp?

Negative & parallel compression would be the only missing things?

1 Like

ofcourse the AH is more versatile with more distortion circuits! but heat + RNC is quite a bit more expensive than BOUM and you have 2 boxes then instead of 1. all comes down to preference and which functions you are using most.

I currently have a syntakt underway, which will handle some heat duties, and sending ST to boum will do nicely for compressors. Also the colors match :wink:

2 Likes

I am using both - BOUM for SC duties and Master Insert compressor, while AH serves as parallel distortion fx unit

3 Likes

Finally tracked a Boum down. Wanted one of these for years now. I mainly want to run my analogue drum machines through it, but was also thinking it could really grunge up my ESQ1 even more. I made a bass sound on there that I want to see what the Baum can do to it. I like how small it is, I can just plop it on the synth and plug it in. The other thing Iā€™m irrationally excited about is playing a bass guitar through it. This could really give me some thick sounds, specially if I run it through an octave pedal first.

I also really like there is a bypass button. Seems like not a big deal but when you run stuff through old mixers there is no bypass unless you unplug everything. So being able to get perspective on the original sound is super helpful to me.

Iā€™m pretty excited. I love compact, clean pieces of gear that sound awesome.

9 Likes

Donā€™t forget that the mix knob is your friend. Lots of people complain about the distortion models not sounding good but when you couple the extreme ones with the negative compression and 90% dry drums you get some really good character.

14 Likes

Good tip, so the negative compression is kind of like an inflator?

1 Like

Just ordered Boum from Juno looks like I got their last unit, other UK dealers are out of stock, Oto website states next batch of boums wonā€™t be available until end of June.

I basically grabbed one whilst I can with that component shortage constantly looming.

1 Like

Wanted to post this here cuz I was struggling with the gate seemingly not working. Finally finished getting my patch bay set up and figured Iā€™d get the side chain input plugged in on the Oto Boum cuz I figured if no sound was going in it wouldnā€™t work which is absolutely wrong lol. If you have a cable plugged into the side chain it effects both the compressor and gate which I didnā€™t realize as I didnā€™t really pay attention to the side chain features in the manual. With the gate I believe the gate opens with a side chain signal so without any sound going through you end up with a closed gate when itā€™s turned on and something plugged into the SC input.

So I guess Iā€™ll just have the cable unplugged on the back of the Boum until I need it lol.

2 Likes

OTO Boum is my favorite piece of gear ever

3 Likes