OTO Boum vs Heat: anyone using both?

Thanks! This was helpful. I’ve been wondering if I should get a Boum for live sets.

I lined up all those audio sections and matched the volume with LUFS, and the difference is actually pretty subtle.

It would be nice for final recordings, but might not make that much difference at a show.

I’d be curious to hear some slightly heavier processing.

Especially the compression with subtle overdrive on the Boum. Maybe to hear the pump a bit more. But if it gets too strong, maybe a wet/dry blend version too.

If you have a chance to post some more, that would be great! :smiley:

Thanks!

the boum is wicked its the heat im questioning!

…u can’t question a truu analog device in direct comparison to something that takes it’s charme out of beautifully bad converting topped with digital compression…
oto is all about careful choosing and mocking old digital converters, sometimes side chained with two or three analog filter cirquits, that are also famous for their beautifuuly bad colouring by free french will…

boum is special with no doubt, but remains an exclusive one trick pony…
while heat has at least 10 one trick ponys under it’s also pretty exclusive hood…

4 Likes

Here’s something I just threw together. Starts with 4 bars dry, then I engage Boum and work my way up the compression knob, then add some drive and bring the mix knob down to 50:50 and increase drive and go back to 100% wet and end with a filter sweep.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9wwl6u7jsl8ku4/BoumB07.wav?dl=0

Anyway in regards to Analog Heat, I think it would have likely been better used after Boum in my previous examples, at least for the subtler stuff I was going for, since the EQ would have more of an impact. I put AH away in its box for now but might have to take it out for one last spin before I sell it. I enjoy using AH most when mangling an instrument or group with heavier distortion and modulation. I see it as a really great distortion and filter box with a great EQ and pretty deep modulation options. I wanted it to do what Boum does because Boum wasn’t out when I got it, but now I think it’s best for other things (which I just don’t happen to need in my current setup). Find some demos of AH slamming some stuff and I think that will give you a decent idea of what it can do, keeping in mind it will sound much better in real life.

2 Likes

what are you referring to here?

Boum does exactly what I hoped heat would - make the mix in your face and bring out the subtle harmonics and liven/phatten it up. I refuse to play my machines now without the Boum.

so adding more saturation before/after compression might be unnecessary considering Boum has drive as well

i think im answering my own question here but wont know until I hear a Boum mix with the Heat on/off before/after the Boum in the chain

4 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re meant here. The Boum has 4 different mode of distortion: soft clipping, tube emulator, fuzz and square. With the drive and mix knob it’s already a wide range of sound and applications:
The soft clipping is like a tape saturator. The tube add second harmonics distorsion to the signal, very good on leads or bass. The fuzz mimic the behavior of a overdriven mixer preamp. (Insert 909 kick here for hardcore stuff). The square is about ultimate distortion.

On top of that it has a stereo compressor with 1:1 to infinite ratio with input gain, selectable attack and release values. There is a side chain input. It also has negative ratio, something not really common in analog compressors. Even if it’s a one knob compressor, you have to know what you’re doing to have convincing results.

You can go subtle to mayhem. You can go from destroying loops to glue mix, or just add a nice tape saturation flavor.
It also have a gate, not easy to set but it can chop some drum loops in a good way.
And I forgot the filter!

So yes it does not compete in terms of feature list with the AH (lfo, filters, etc) but I disagree with the « one trick pony » affirmation. It’s as versatile as can be a studio analog compressor + 4 different types of distorsion.

11 Likes

its the greatest bit of kit i have. is the Heat worth it for EQ/filter alone, maybe on clean boost to not overpower the boum?

1 Like

i don’t have a boum, so i can’t compare … but regarding your question let me say that: the EQ and the filter inclusive the dirt and all that other stuff to modulate the shit out of any signal, are interacting like some sort of dependency-based network on the main-setting you dial in (clean, saturation and so on) … okay, maybe i overdo it a bit but you can add some nice touch

Amazing! Thanks so much! I just ordered a Boum!

2 Likes

Just received my Boum. Sounds amazing. Can’t wait to get into it. Very happy so far.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Analog Heat vs Analog Drive. Main difference

Hmm, I know this is an older post, but I’m curious about this routing. If you have Heat on the Bus B output of SiX, do you bring it back in via the external inputs? Bus B is a mute bus, right? So muting the track sends it to bus B, preventing any chance of a feedback path, right? I don’t have the diagram in front of me, but do the external inputs go through the master insert? How do you route the signal through both Heat and BOUM?

1 Like

There’s also the Sherman filterbank…

It’s lovely. But inputs mono. But very lovely mono. Looks cool, too.

Sherman restyler does stereo. Great overdrive and filter section. Not as agressive as the filter bank though

1 Like

Theres a stereo version which is basically two filterbanks in a rack and costs x2 as much, hah.

1 Like

Ooh, I know, that one hurts. And I wonder if it just wouldn’t be too crazy in stereo. While I don’t have the Sherman any longer, I do have the coffee cup you got when you bought it, the one that says dangerous frequencies and has a screaming guy on it. Funny thing is, they’re not kidding around. The Filterbank’s lethal. Analog Heat is like a polite British lady inviting you for tea in comparison.

3 Likes

Bus B is a mute bus, correct.

I had the AH receiving audio from that, going back in through an external input, and Boum on the master insert.

The external inputs can be routed through the master bus, which includes the master insert if that is engaged, or directly to the monitoring section, thus bypassing the master bus. You can also route the external inputs to both the master bus and direct to monitoring it you wanted to do parallel processing in that way, by engaging both switches (one is in the monitor section and the other in the strip near th master fader).

There is a separate switch to include the master insert in that bus’ signal path, so to send to both AH and Boum in my prior case I send the mixer channel out to AH on Bus B, muting it and preventing any feedback, which goes into an external input and routed to the master bus with the insert engaged to include Boum.

I feel like I’m confusing myself writing out something that’s fairly simple, so hopefully that’s clear. Still loving using Boum with the SiX, and the SiX’s routing continues to impress me nearly a year in.

5 Likes

Thanks. Yes - the routing is amazing. I had to take a quick look at mine to visualize what you described, but it all makes sense. Didn’t know you could route to monitors separately. Interesting. I have Heat on my master insert and sometimes feel like that’s not an ideal use case, but it does its role and my mixes are improving.

2 Likes