OTC, Octatrack randomizer [Reaktor ensemble]

Can’t wait to give this a try - cheers :smiley:

Spent a few more hours with it earlier - and delved into the Ens to have a fiddle. I’ll put some thoughts down when I get a minute.

Whilst it’s endless fun screwing around with old projects, I found the most constructive use of the randomiser involved creating new projects with thw randomiser in mind.

There’s huge potential with what you have already and it sounds like you have some great ideas to develop it further. Thanks for sharing your hard work!

Thanks rikrak!!
If you have some ideas to develop it further it’s great :slight_smile:
Still a lot of work to be done, it takes a crazy amount of time haha
You are right, it is best to use it for new projects, it’s a totally different way to program the OT
I ll post an update this week, message me if you think of some things to modify/rectify I ll see what I can do

ANY CHANCE YOU COULD MAKE THIS A STAND ALONE VST?

Yes, that is me yelling. :slight_smile:

I wish I could!
unfortunately I can’t do that…
hope it inspires someone to do it !

Not sure a VST is needed. It essentially works by sending random values via MIDI CCs to change the encoder values of each Page of each Track.

The same thing could be achieved in Live using a MIDI Effect Rack, in Lemur or in Logic X (using the Scripter).

It does require a fair bit of work to set up though and L~N has done a stellar job making the Reaktor ensemble user friendly, with an Octatrack-like interface.

Will do

Really cool- thanks for making (and sharing ) this!

One question- it’s working fine with your project that was included, and with my own projects. When I switch over to the set that came on the CF card with the OT, it doesn’t seem to do anything. Any idea why?

It’s already really usable as is, can’t wait until you add the refinements you mentioned.

+1 :+1: [/quote]
As soon as I get a new ipad I do this!

Thanks Zymos!
I don’t have the CF card project anymore so I can’t test, it should work though
The final version will come in a couple weeks with LOT of improvements :slight_smile:

Hi L~N, Thank you for your work. What was the version of Raktor you’ve used? I have a 5.9.0 one and it doesn’t load.

just bought a new octatrack too. Woohoo!

is it easy to port over to Lemur on Ipad?

Easy to port over to Lemur…
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Sorry, that was rude.
But Lemur is the most obtuse programming language I’ve ever tried to use. I’ve got mad respect for anyone who can write in it.

Hi onoma,
I am afraid you’ll have to update to 5.9.2
If an ensemble is saved in a newer version it doesn’t load in older ones. As far as I know
Maybe there is a trick to save it so it can open in older versions, I will look that up!

Easy to port over to Lemur…
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Sorry, that was rude.
But Lemur is the most obtuse programming language I’ve ever tried to use. I’ve got mad respect for anyone who can write in it. [/quote]
Yeah that’s true…
It is pretty straight forward to set some sliders with the right midi CCs to move parameters on the octatrack, but then setting up some random function and recall presets is another story… It takes a lot of scripting especially if there is a lot of sliders, each one needs to be renamed in the script and it takes ages, maybe there is easier ways
I did a Lemur template a few months ago in which random function and preset recall was working, I had just issues with the number of Sliders, that’s why I went back to Reaktor because almost everything is possible [just found out how to write scenes from Reaktor in a few seconds]
But I can’t wait to get an ipad and go back to work on this template. unfortunately it’s not gonna happen before a few months :frowning:
If someone is interested in building this though I can give some advice on how to do it

im fine with reaktor :]

even better, then i can look at how it is made. I was just thinking it would be nice to have all the elektron randomizers on one ipad, i have almost all the elektrons & trying to imagine how to fit them all together.

I’ve written some templates in Lemur.

The summary is - if you’re a programmer, the actual scripting isn’t very hard. What is extremely time consuming is working around all the issues, poorly documented behavior, and then designing the look and feel.

If you simply want to slap 32 faders or knobs on a screen and script them to do things, that’s not hard.

To make something nice, usable, and professional, that is hard.

1 Like

OMG L~N!!! This is crazy!! Much respect for what you did here! I use konkreet performer and I must say that with OT and Reaktor… THIS makes me feel like I’m on a spaceship!

Much respect and thank you for sharing this for the community. Will keep in touch for Lemur template. I tried making mine but I got so frustrated programming I decided to make music instead…

Very inspiring tool.

Thanks L~N

Today I assigned a bunch of MIDI Notes to various buttons of the Ensemble, all on MIDI channel 16.

Then, on the Octatrack, i used one of the MIDI tracks as a ‘control track’ to send instructions to randomise various parameters using Note trigs. With a"Randomise All" fill triggering on every step of the last beat!

I had a Kick and Snare that were unaffected, some percussion, vocal hits and atmospheres that were being randomised - with One Shot recorder trigs on those - and even a MIDI > Synth > Semi-Randomised Thru Channel.

A future version will dump the Reaktor ‘snapshots’ you save in the ensemble to Scenes in the Octatrack, so you can take a bunch (256?) on stage without the need for Reaktor. And L~N is adding adjustable ranges for the parameters, so you can be as subtle or not-so-subtle as you like.

Let me tell you, this is all the Octatrack update I want for now. It opens up a whole world of creative possibilities.

1 Like

Keep an eye out for sales. I got it for £89 a few months ago.

1 Like

Reaktor is a fantastic synth but yeah, keep your eyes peeled on one of the many NI sales through the year and you’ll get it heavily discounted.

Really need to give this a go with my OT. Sounds like it will be a hell of a lot of fun.