OT throughput mixer audio quality?

Does the Octatrack sound good as a throughput mixer?

Will it retain the frequency range / sound quality of an expensive analog synth when its used as a mixer in a live-rig?

Or retain the bass rumble of a TR-808 etc ?

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

I havenā€™t personally noticed any degradation either.

If you really want to make sure, you could send a signal through it and back out into a spectrum analyser to see what happens.

the observations on this thread made interesting reading and thoroughly quenched my anxiety about OT as a performance tool, i wouldnā€™t record with it in preference to a dedicated recorder, but i see no obstacles in a live context and certainly not in an experimental context

the link is dead, but the thread is still worth skimming

there are other threads on this too

the OT inputs are definitely usable, transparent, and maintain the audio quality of incoming signals provided you gain stage everything correctly.

i never boost the master volume control (function + level knob) and never go past 75% on the amp level.

Sending the OT signal through a nice channel strip does wonders. Some compression and EQ really helps balance things out especially when the A4 or any complex external source is being processed by the OT.

If you happen to record those low frequencies you will hear a difference.
I would also stress, as mentioned above, that having the your levels right is most important.

1 Like

if it goes thru the ad/da

then

simply no

anything that is passed thru any ad/da process loses something

the amount depends on the source and the equipment (assuming levels are correct)

some older gear adds character, which can be desirable

some high end stuff is ā€œtransparentā€

but the ot is neither ā€œtransparentā€ or adds ā€œcharacterā€

(putting on the flak jacket)

bland

(not that it cant sound good, but it aint no apogee/mpc60 hybrid)

I found it ok for most uses. Nothing bad you would notice live.

BUT when I used to run drum machines through my OT, I felt I was losing some sound quality (punch? crispiness? not sure what to call it). I had it going into the AB inputs at a reasonable volumeā€¦not sure if thereā€™s some additional gain staging thing Iā€™m missing.

I have not yet found a satisfying group of settings to get the OTā€™s input and output gains in line with the rest of my gear.

Started a threadā€¦nobody was interested.

I have resorted to cranking up input AND output gain, which has to bring up the noise floor (doesnā€™t it?). TBH, I havenā€™t really put a critical ear on fidelity in a while, just been recording everything without fully checking results. Guess I will find out when I do.

No matter what I do, I canā€™t seem to get flex machine recordings at ā€œoptimalā€ levels without overdriving the inputs. I am currently sending to inputs from a mixer subgroup, through a compressor (more levelling than compressing).

Iā€™d love to hear othersā€™ approach.

Clunky and Baddcrā€™s positions not withstanding (you guys donā€™t agree on too much, lol)
Iā€™m gonna give nirunā€™s comments +1 :+1:
Iā€™ve tried lots of stuff, best results for me are:
Sound source device (including Elektrons)->
(FX box, filter, reverb, whatever)
mixing board with sweepable mids ->
compressor if makes sense
Record to OT A/B or whatever config from mixing board

I have noticed sound degradation (perhaps imagined) at times, however, once the sounds are recorded in to the OT, I use 3 or 4 FX slots to shape the sound well beyond what was recorded.
Either way, what goes in (AD) is the best that can possibly come out (D/A), so having a good channel strip is a big plus as nirun said.
In my workflow, Iā€™m not exactly concerned with a ā€œperfectā€ recording (like measuring it through an oscilloscope or whatever. I find I achieve (again my perception) way better sounds and dynamics by editing the recording in OT.
ok, now you owe me $0.02

Sorry, my earlier message didnā€™t really address OP,

If you are asking if the OT can perform as mixer with good sound, answer is emphatic YES. A lot of people doing this and doing it really well.

If you mean compared to a dedicated mixing board: No, it does not sound in any way nearly at all as good as a dedicated mixer. I think that is what you are really asking but could be wrong.

How I got to where I am now is that:

1. I started off with OT as throughput mixer (MD, A4, Minibrute to Thru Machines (each in mono, two inputs for MD to separate Kick from hats/snare, A4 hardpanned)
  2. Added dedicated mixer to take 4 outs on OT for kick, bassline, mids/highs, synths. Eq etc on board to monitors.
  3. realized that sounded a lot better (I mean crazy a lot, not even close); how can it not with that dedicated channel processing?
  4. Started recording takes off of the mixer in to the OT, originally for the purpose of looping for transitions. This all sounded much better in the end than just playing straight in to the Thru Machines (I did lots of A/B/C comps) Also gained bandwidth of stereo channels that not avail in original config with OT as mixer (4 mono inputs)
  5. Had an ah-ha moment, to just record everything through board etc into OT and work-live-play in that one box point forward on each project after recording noodles and loops from the board.
    (I actually do like 25% of my composition on full the hardware set-up, like 75% or more in the OT with sample editing.)
  6. Noticed OT sound was a little flat, so used lots of manipulation on the samples with FX slots and plock edits to achieve more dynamic sound for each playback in sequence.

Now in full disclosure, what I loose is the edge in the ā€œwhat is liveā€ factor (totally separate debate), since I ultimate use a single box to play. I cared at first (what about my cool black EIT-1 and all the stickers on the back of my A4 :frowning: he he, but then I didnā€™t care.

Also this all fits my workflow. Some peopleā€™s workflows really hang on mutes (like MD has 16 mutable) and performance macros (A4) etc. This wonā€™t be available in my workflow described.

YMMV as everyone else, and someone may well come in and say Iā€™m wrong and Iā€™ll agree with that up front if they say something else works better for them. Just this is best in my case.

Regarding 808 rumble, you are gonna want to keep that totally separated going in and out of your signal chain, with a sweepable mid eq. Otherwise, no youā€™re not really gonna get it clearly out of the OT translated the way it comes from the source (it will be a pretty muddy rumble).

lots of great input here (pun intended) haha

transformers/resistors/capacitors/op-amps

a quick google on any of these things and the role they play in all modern professional studio gear will shed some light on what happens when you try to boost or pad a really loud or quiet signal.

These things arenā€™t cheap, and itā€™s not fair to compare the OT and the size it is to high end gear with much more headroom, cleaner gain, and more ā€˜characterā€™ based distortion of wild input signals.

Thereā€™s some truth to just being able to manage your synths and samples with filters and effects creatively to achieve good results, and really there are so many free plug-ins and GREAT all in one interfaces with awesome DSP based dynamics to solve all your problems.

summing/conversion can always be discussed for pages, but i challenge anyone to drive a loud or quiet signal and try attenuating it with the OT vs a good pre-amp/interface and you will be able to tell that there is a difference. thereā€™s a sweet spot/range but thatā€™s based on your taste/ears/source material

if you cannot hear it, good for you and carry on making music :smiley: :heart:

and as @ehrek said, you do lose a bit of that live sound appeal but thatā€™s what CDJs are made for right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What you cant seem to grasp is its just my educated and experienced opinion, formulated after some serious testing
with another very experienced electronic musician with serious OT chops and a penchant
for audiophile sound using multiple sources and methods.

Feel free to ignore my posts, I dont read yours unless you quote me, youā€™ve got nothing i need to know, thanks.

Lots of excellent advice and experience Peoples - much appreciated!

This info explains a lot to me about the sonic capabilities of the OT and what success and issues people are having with it regarding quality of sound. GREAT STUFF :joy:

I will elaborate a bit, Ive had the OT a bit and just got the Rytm
My live-rig should just be the OT and the Rytm (and/or a nice synth)

I want a minimal setup and dont want to lose the quality of the Rytm Bass (and/or synth audio frequencies) in a live-rig if I am using the OT as the mixer.

To me the subtlety of this ā€˜lossā€™ of bass rumble on a big system is the difference between missing out on a bit of the punch or feeling the air being pushed by the subs.

I guess the question boils down to:

OT + Rytm alone -VERSUS- OT + Rytm + Rane DJ mixer

Having to use the DJ mixer to keep the Rytmā€™s full sonics may lead to using the OT only and selling the Rytm but otherwise Im thinking it might just be a small compromise in audiophile perfectionism to gain a simple and effective setup that is fun and expressive.

Iā€™d say use a mixer. I used those two boxes together. Rytm into OT didnā€™t sound great to me, and OT into Rytm was weird too (bad Rytm input + master compression). Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a tiny 2 channel mixer that wonā€™t complicate your setup much.

will you just be running sound in and out of the octatrack without using any effects on it? the direct thru function without using tracks? isnā€™t that ab/cd only?

iā€™d guess youā€™d want to double up on the inputs unless you want it hard panned (and then it would pick up noise if an input was unused) or?

tbh, iā€™ve not really had a need to mess with direct audio, but iā€™d be kinda concerned about the spacial positioning and phase weirdness potential? if youā€™re playing live (mono?) im not sure iā€™d want the hassle vs just using direct out into a single mixer channelā€¦ but if you have time to test it beforehand.

dunnoā€¦ the octatrackā€™s stereoness makes it easy to change the sound, but iā€™ve not experimented with running things into it that i didnā€™t want the sound changed. :slight_smile:

oth, i feel like all drum machines benefit from additional production, so you could very well use the octatrack to make it sound betterā€¦ :slight_smile:

all i can say is that i like having some kind of actual mixing thing too, if it has sends or midi you can have a lot of fun with the octatrack. :slight_smile:

If people canā€™t tell the difference in blind listening tests, then as far as Iā€™m concerned, there IS no differenceā€¦

1 Like

I find noticeable signal degradation when running THRU.

I donā€™t feel the need to prove it - my ears are enough proof.

Instead of challenging everyone to post examples up, if youā€™re going to flap around the thread so intensely, why donā€™t YOU post up examples of zero or near zero degradation across a range of source dynamics.

It cuts both ways.

Because in science (as with philosophy, the arts, and humanities) you are never asked to prove a negative.

2 Likes

Because in science (as with philosophy, the arts, and humanities) you are never asked to prove a negative.[/quote]
Actually, in ā€œscienceā€ you are asked to prove any statement which is yet to be proofed. This is true whether it is popular thought or not - there are no legitimate assumptions.

So, your input sounds like bollocks, to be frank.

What bollocks.

It is arrogant to use cultural institutionalism to bolster petty disputes.

I donā€™t know if you get this but take a big breath. THE UNIVERSE DOESNā€™T REVOLVE AROUND YOU.

Iā€™m sorry but itā€™s true.

And the point of reducing you like this is to remind you of one thing. No one has to prove anything to you.

However, as you like to flap around asking people to prove that they hear degradation in the audio path (and the truth is most of us are too busy doing things with our lives or in the studio to sate your incessant windy diatribe), why donā€™t YOU do a proof?

Because - hereā€™s that center of the universe thing again - YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO DEMANDS IT. No one else really seems to care so much about your concernsā€¦ see, we donā€™t need to as we use our ears. We set up a controlled experiment, we fuck around with gain staging, we A/B and get creative because (and please remember this) WE WANT IT TO BE A BRILLIANT CONVERTER and AD/DA so that we can leave audio routing through it all the time. But it isnā€™t. And the amount of consensus given to this throughout pretty much all forums including this very one gives a certain credence to the statement.

This isnā€™t an institutionalized western science academy - the conventions that apply to your undergrad courses donā€™t usually apply in the real world.

So, I suggest to you - seeing as how you have all of this time spare - go do it your fooking self.

J.

1 Like