OT - sound quality

:content:

9 Likes

yall think the OT degrades the sound…

go try the >$6000 SP1200. lol

1 Like

At least I did my listening test finding and shared it here. Did you?

Yep.

3 Likes

Quite funny by this test it also means that the Studiolive 32r is not for me :sweat_smile:

…actually, just to join the nitpicking choir for once, fomula1 racing cars have individual 4 wheel tracktion/break/drive control…

2 Likes

I still can’t decide which one I’d prefer…I checked both files in my daw earlier, one showed a little more low freq and high freq levels on the analyser (in the very lows and upper highs) while the rest looked similarly levelled.

Regardless of such tiny differences, when listening they really sound pretty close.

1 Like

The Studiolive32R has DC coupled i/o and the OT doesn’t, so it could have easily let in some infrasonic stuff from the Kijimi’s suboscillator that the OT filtered out. That would explain the slight level difference when it should have been unity gain, too.

On the other hand, I don’t remember whether the CE-300 has a DC coupled input or not but I’m inclined to guess it doesnt, so that would have already filtered out at least some of the stuff below 20Hz that might be in the Kijimi’s raw signal anyway.

Still it’s absolutely possible that there’s DC filtering on the OT inputs that’s high enough to it a little bit of rolloff in the audible range down near 20Hz.

3 Likes

I muted this thread ages ago, forgot it even existed, but then I wondered why the meme thread was still going on about it all these weeks later…

Came back at just the right time.

4 Likes

This thread is Art.

13 Likes

:thinking: I heard that Art converters weren’t that good…:pl:

9 Likes

Do you also have other samplers?

And there we have it, the person complaining the most about the sound of the OT picks that as their favourite. :rofl:

/Thread.

8 Likes

Akai S-5000
MPC 2000XL
Ensoniq EPS (original, not 16)
Akai S-612
Boss SP-303
Roland VP-9000
Casio SK-1
Yak Bak Classic

I was getting them before prices blew up, so half of those were free and the rest - MPC (with the effects board, 8 out board, SMPT chip, new fader, pads and sensors, and the hardware for mounting 2u of outboard rack gear on it), SP5000, VP9000 totaled less than half the cost of an Octatrack. MPC was $100 plus another $250 for all of the upgrades and accessories, VP9000 was about $200, S5000 with all of the options except the USB and effects boards was somewhere around $225 or $250. Everything else was free except the EPS, I traded a pedal for that (with the 2x memory expander, a hard case and manuals).

Samplers were super cheap until 2019 or so. I almost picked up an S1100 but they were $150-$200 and that was a bit more than I wanted to pay. I could have gotten one on Yahoo Auctions Japan for $30 in 2018 but the shipping would have been way too much.

EDIT: I’ve also got MTV Music Generator for the Playstation 1 and that technically includes sampling (off of audio CDs only, with sample storage on standard PS1 memory packs), but I haven’t tried doing it yet. Still counting it as a sampler though.

9 Likes

You should do these too, which is crustiest :rofl:

1 Like

How cool is that btw.!?!

I had a music software game thing for Playstation (I think it was Music2000), it was actually my first music software^^ :laughing: No sampling or stuff like that, though.

I have a RME Audio Hammerfall DSP Multiface.
Would it be decent for a comparison?

Unfortunately my hard disc is dead, not motivated to reinstall everything soon.

I guess a Zoom H2n is not great for that…

Back to music anyway! :content:

Cool enough that I eventually bought a Playstation Mouse to use with it (the actual game was given to me by someone so I could justify spending like $35 that way) but not cool enough that I’ve invested the time it takes to actually learn it yet. It’s a pretty full featured thing, so it’s kind of like trying to use an early version of Fruity Loops but all you have is a mouse and Playstation controller and low resolution display (was PS1 even 480i?).

Music2000 was actually the second version of MTV Music Generator! Same program, same company, it just didn’t have the MTV branding anymore and they simplified the UI to make it less confusing (not sure f they also made it less powerful). So you may have actually had CD sampling available in there somewhere and never realized.

1 Like

You know, if we really apply ourselves in this thread over the next few weeks we could make it bigger than Feature Requests. Just sayin’.

1 Like