OT Science Lab: Remix the Worst Band Ever

me too :frowning: great job guys!

Shit! I just spotted this thread. I think I might still give it a bash over the next few days even though Iā€™ll miss the deadline. I am hopeless at trying to isolate sounds in a sample so could do with the practice for something thatā€™s a bit of fun.

I had never heard of The Shaggs before. Absolutely brilliant unintentional band name by the way!!! Austin Powers would have loved that oneā€¦ Whatā€™s quite sad is that as ā€œbadā€ as some might find it, itā€™s the sort of stuff that a lot of low key indie acts get recognised for these days. At least it has a bit of charm going about it!

Great for an OT Science Lab though.

I was inspired to try something after hearing what you guys did with this. Not mixed very well, but I struggle with the OT quite a bit, but anyway hereā€™s my remix:

Wow, these are all so different and very creative! Nice work. It is amazing, the variety of tones the Octatrack can produce from sampled audio.

I will keep adding each remix to the first post, if thatā€™s cool with everyone.

Superfineā€¦i like it !!!

I powered one out but still not set up to record out, guess I need to breakdown and buy a DR-40. Then I could just output straight to that instead of the monitors.

I am not sure if this is possibleā€¦ but if you have a free track, could you set that track up with a track recorder and set the input to the main output? Then just transfer the recording to computer via USB mode. Again, I am not sure if this is possible. I would imagine there are limitations on the length of recording.

hmmm, i donā€™t think you even need a free track to record into a trackĀ“s recording buffer in order to record your performance to the CF card.

maybe this might work:

• FUNCTION - MIXER (PROJECT) opens a menu where you choose:

• CONTROL -> MEMORY

• here you can activate: DYNAMIC RECORDERS

• with DYNAMIC RECORDERS switched on you can get a single track recording buffer to make use of the maximum amount of sampling time/space (85.5 MB)

• set a ONE SHOT REC TRIG in the REC SETUP of a track of your choice

• set SRC3 to listen to the MAIN out

• I always set TRIG to ONE2 in cases like thisā€¦

• while holding down the according REC TRIG button and pressing the MIDI (PART) button you make sure that REC TRIG really listens :slight_smile:

• PLAY! (maybe better SAVE project before that :slight_smile: )

• when youā€™re done, select the according R1-8 REC buffer in the track you were recording on

• go to the sample editor via TRACK - BANK

• and save that SAMPLEā€¦

In case you are very well familiar with that and are using all the rec buffers in your project to live sample the shit out of the Shaggs, hmmmā€¦DR-40 ? :slight_smile:

ohhhhh, and by the way, sicijk, thank you so much for the escape/escapism to space story!
i think i saw Elvis there on the dancefloor swaying along with that tentacle babe to your decoded message :alien:

thanks to blarue09 for adding the tracks to the first posts, this way things are neatly organized.

and thanks to all it may concern for their appreciation of my track so far.
upon your messages i almost were to revisit that bubble of patterns and give it another go :slight_smile:

but i think for now, iā€™m done with the Shaggs

I am not sure if this is possibleā€¦ but if you have a free track, could you set that track up with a track recorder and set the input to the main output? Then just transfer the recording to computer via USB mode. Again, I am not sure if this is possible. I would imagine there are limitations on the length of recording.[/quote]
itā€™s possible to record track8 like that but I donā€™t have the room, I need to get another cardā€¦I will probably order a DR-40 this weekā€¦been thinking about it for a long time anyway

Great submissions everyone.

Hereā€™s mine. Iā€™ve actually never done anything beginning to end on the OT (usually thereā€™s a lot of Ableton in-between) so this was a very humbling experience for me. But there are a couple good ideas in there, even if the performance isnā€™t perfect.

https://soundcloud.com/jesmtl/footfootfoot

Well done Jes, interested to know how you managed to get the atmospheres at the start.

Here is my submission, not entirely happy with it, but here it goes.

https://soundcloud.com/djd_oz/my-foot-foot

Oh you bastards, now I couldnĀ“t keep myself out of this any longer.
Started this evening, and I wasnĀ“t planning to do this at all. A short version where I didnĀ“t do anything else than set the tweaks and the (unmuting)order in the arranger.
[url=ā€œhttps://soundcloud.com/mikael-johansson-6/the-shaggs-pals-feetsā€]
https://soundcloud.com/mikael-johansson-6/the-shaggs-pals-feets

I only noticed this a day or so ago and wanted to start stretching my OT workflow. I never do remixes (your ears will tell you why if you listenā€¦) but Iā€™m def learning and thatā€™s the main thing.
I made almost no attempt to perform anything here, just a very rough audio take into Live (no mastering at all) as I knew I was a day late already!
Itā€™s a honking entry compared to some of the other stellar stuff but who cares!
Enjoy

never too late as far as doing the exercise

going through these (even some of the really old ones) will expand your knowledge of the OT drastically since you have to figure out how to accomplish certain things :slight_smile:

Very true. I think Im going to start working through the older ones. At times Iā€™ve used the OT for little more than a sequencer but the A4 brought the sampling back out in me a bit and what was pleasing while doing this Lab was how much muscle memory I didnā€™t realise I had with the OT. Now to get the brain in gear in learning what is achievable!

some of the cool ones were create a song entirely from a single cycle waveformā€¦out of noise, etc etcā€¦

I did a pretty quick project on this one too but didnā€™t record it outā€¦was going to get a DR-40 but Iā€™m wavering and thinking maybe I should get the new logic pro and use an audio interface.

As it is I do all this for fun so I havenā€™t has a need to record anything out.

Yes, it is never too late to post your remix or to try the older science labs.

I find that these exercises really helpful with learning the instrument or even just learning a couple new tricks. The rules give us limitations that we may not normally work within and force us to branch out of our go-to methods.

This was fun guys! I hope this will inspire people to create some new Science Labs on here.

Thanks djd_oz. for the drone at the beginning I took the tail of a guitar strum (it also has some cymbal decay), looped it, slowed it down with time stretch on, put a slow LFO on playback speed, and then ran it through a filter and intro dark reverb. All the other tweaking of wet/dry etc was done in real time.

That was a lot more work than I expected. I used some tricks that I had learned for soft samplers and tried to figure out how to do them on the OT. Mangulated beyond all recognition.