OT Science Lab: Remix the Worst Band Ever

Nice job man !

Props!

Hey blarue09 this is so awesome, please can you tell us a little bit how you make that.

Greetz

Thanks for the positive feedback! I am looking forward to hearing everyone elseā€™s version.

I wish I could say it was easy but picking out the drums was a bit tricky as well as the sounds I wanted so I probably spent a few hours on it. I didnā€™t put much effort into the song structure so the song is pretty boring in that aspect. I started with loading the full song from itunes (converted to wav) and loaded it onto the CF card. I made a few internal samples of particular parts (intro drums, vocals, etc) so I could pick out and chop up the small bits inside flex tracks

I had to go back and look at what I did to break it down for you haha.

Track 1: Acoustic drums
- chopped up from a sample of the intro drums (p-locked to different playback rates, and start positions)

• FX: filter and dark reverb (a lot of p-locked filter to dial in each drum hit)
    -crossfader scene for extra reverb and lower pitch

Tracks 2-3: Ambient drums
- chopped up from a sample of the intro (p-locked to different playback rates, and start positions)
- FX: filter and dark reverb (p-locked)

• neighbor track FX: spacializer and delay
  • played around with about 4 different crossfader scenes throughout the recording

Track 4: The cello-ish or bass sound*

• very short, looped sample of a section of the vocalist singing ā€œyouā€
  • Reversed & pitched up one octave
  • added some slow attack and release
  • triangle LFO on the balance for some spacial movement
  • FX: Filtered out the highs & added some dark reverb
    *later in the song it changes to an almost acid-style bass with LFOs modulating the filter width (inverse saw) and filter base (triangle)

Track 5: Lead pluck sound

• sample of the vocalist singing ā€œIā€
  • retrig with very short retrig timing
  • short hold time with a bit of release
  • LFOs: balance (inverse square), filter width (exponential), retrig timing (square)
  • FX: filter and dark reverb (haha seems to be a trend here)

Tracks 6-7: Vocals ā€œFoot Footā€

• a couple samples of ā€œFoot Footā€ p-locked to different sample rates and pitches
  • LFOs on the pitch (saw), retrig (square), pitch LFO depth (triangle)
  • FX: equalizer (to remove the drums and LO-FI for fun
  • neighbor FX: Chorus and Dark Reverb
  • crossfader scenes for modulating playback rate, LFOs, and FX depths and speeds)

Track 8: Master Compression

Good stuff blarue09! I will give this a rip later tonight :slight_smile: I like these science labs!

wow, blarue09, your track was so amazing that iā€™m now totally into this OTlab, really nice stuff. and thanks a lot for the decription,
filter and dark reverb fooooorrrrreeeevvvvvaaa :joy:

the whole story of the shaggs (according to wikipedia at least) sounds so sad,
even the constructed happy ending of foot foot is some kind of twisted hope/despair thingieā€¦

Great blarue09!

I reaaally like your given-mood!

I just have a question: what was the RMS value in CompressorSetup page?

Because typical OTā€™s compressor glitches seem to be in your recording.

If the value is low or 0ā€¦try to go higherā€¦it sounds really better when used on Master track.

Congrats anyway!

bbiGUP

Great work, blarue09! Iā€™ll have a go at this today.

I am not sure what I had the compressor set to for this recording, I tried a few different variations with the compressor and I thought I picked the best one.
I am curious to know what you mean by typical compressor glitches, so I know what to look out for in the future. I may make a second version with some changes and hopefully improvements so I will try your tip.
Thanks for all the comments!
Letā€™s hear some more remixes! :+1:

By glitches i mean that scratchy sounds that (to my ear) are common to Elektronā€™s Compressor(s).

It happens mostly on extreme combinations of values of ATT/REL and hi gain (not really hi yet, since the amplification it brings is enormous).
But the RMS knob smooths out those ones.

Anyway: my suggestion for OTā€™s comp is to deal with RMS knob and DRY/WET (for parallel mimicking) when used on Master track (other parameters to taste)

Iā€™m in for the remix and i am already on some initial preparation.
And very little-little timeā€¦but iā€™ll stay tuned!

the deadline is just around the corner!

Monday, Feb 24th

Im quite ready to post somethingā€¦i have to practice a bit with what i have so far then sampling directly the jam,ā€¦but i think there wonā€™t be someone else?

for me the deadline is a bit tightā€¦but iā€™ll try to stay in.

but iā€™d like to listen to some more usersā€¦

one more week? at least the 28thā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ā€¦thereā€™s someone else :slight_smile: ,
but this otlab is driving me crazy, i canā€™t stand another week with the Shaggs!
so, iā€™ll just try to pan my drums, figure out how to get the bass sound to work with the other elements and jam it out, too.

Wow some one still knows US Maple. Best guitar band ever! :heart:

I woke up with this song in head this morning. I only listened to it once after seeing this threadā€¦about one week ago!!

It almost sounds intentional, like they were some sort of experimental rock & roll band hanging out with Andy Warhol.

Wow some one still knows US Maple. Best guitar band ever! :heart: [/quote]
US maple are kickass!

Oh no no no,
Oh, oh,

dear fellow elektronauts, hereā€™s my boat for the Shaggs and it might be cursed :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/danieldoor/boat

I learned a lot during the production, for instance: Iā€™m awfully bad at mixing.
For I tried to give each sound its space in the spectrum, get the levels right and the bass in shape,
but failed.
Honestly, any input regarding that bunch of issues would be highly appreciated.

Well, give it a go
and thanks for that great OTlab idea, blarue09.
Iā€™m kind of excited to listen to the other submissions!

Well done door! This is awesome!

Who remember this guy?

When i first saw him, i thought: heā€™s Tom Rowlands with the new machine,the Octatrack!!!

But, after this Science Lab, i can say one thingā€¦ā€¦ā€¦he looks like Tomā€¦ā€¦but heā€™s not a Him >>> is a Herā€¦

Actually ā€¦ā€¦The Shaggsā€™ drummer.

How i know this?
I got a message from the sidereal space and i used the OT to decode itā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦main infos rescued are that she tried to come to a new life after leaving home (she escaped one night using the window of her bedroom).

She tried to live escaping from the doctrine of her fatherā€¦ā€¦especially because she didnā€™t like his taste in terms of Musicā€¦ā€¦but he wanted his daughters to play that wayā€¦ā€¦who knows?

Anyway, she now lives on Elektroline-Planet (a sort-of planetary SpaceGas Station for ships) where she sometimes plays music in the main respected bar;
Not only Humans dance;
She uses the OT;
She has a lot of fun with it;
She feels more free now;

All of these text, i believe, i imagined itā€¦ā€¦.but how that message sounded like is this:

P.S.
Sorry for the Dynamic lover guys (i am one of them, i swear you)ā€¦.but I abused with compression, in order to have something violent and swooshy and also to get rid of the out-of-timing performance in the original song.
All done in OT. , like this:
A bunch of pattens played in a live manner and a huge use of Scenes .
Sampled directly to Recorder1 set up to record 335 seconds circa
Then mastered that bounce using a Static and 2 Neighbors, plus a Master Compressor and a combfiltered stutter effect used live during the bounce of the master in order to mask a bit some errors happened during the first live recording.
Anywayā€¦plenty of errors :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Both great submissions sicijk and doors.

Iā€™m still working on mine :sob: