OT Science Lab - 1 year study - who’s up for it? [LAUNCHED]

You romantic! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::joy:

that’s my experience too. Although it works nicely as mixer, sampler and midi sequencer, I only really use it extensively for experiments when I don’t use anything else.
I really loved @sezare56 's last “science labs” with the metronome and the comb filter. The more you are limited in sources, the more you recognize the power and creative possibilities the OT offers

3 Likes

Waaaaaay late to the party here. I lurked on this thread earlier. I’m totally up for something of a challenge. I really like the idea of forcing myself to do one “fully OT” composition a month. Some guidance/rules sound good. Yeah. I’m in.

1 Like

To me the ‘shine’ of the Octatrack is its flexibility and modularity in how you set it up. There’s nothing like it in a somewhat ‘fixed’ architecture.

2 Likes

A great idea, I’m in! Reminds me of the currently ongoing challenge February Album Writing Month (14 songs in 28 days). I did it a couple of times and it taught me a lot about songwriting.

I’m totally in. OT noob here, so this is a fantastic way to learn. I’m already doing everything on the Octa anyway.

I also like the idea of monthly themes. I love limitations.

2 Likes

Were?

Http://fawm.org

2 Likes

I’m interested in joining this as well. Just discovered the thread now. Can we use 2 Octatracks?

4 Likes

Total newbie. Bought an Octatrack 6 months ago but due to family and work haven’t had to time to dive in and make the most of it.

I think it’s a great idea and would be totally up for doing it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just wanted to pop in and say I’m game!

3 Likes

I’m in.

5 Likes

You only use one to do the challenges, but the second could be used as a recorder, although not required.

1 Like

Hi everyone. My first post on Elektronauts after lurking for a few years.

This Lab has really caught my attention and I’m very interested in joining. I got my OT about 3 years ago and have been slowly learning it, but time/life/blah I’ve not dug in like I want, so this seems like a great motivation and opportunity.

I was really keen when it was first posted as a kind of open, exploratory year… then the idea of the monthly stuff has me hesitating slightly but I’ll wait and see what they look like and I’m sure it will be great :grinning:

So anyway - thanks for getting this going, I’m in, as best I can.

Cheers!
zarf

3 Likes

I’m not sure why I’m so hesitant to post that I’m in … I think that in the back of my mind I already decided I was, but I’ve been too fearful of failure to actually write my name down.

So, in a bold strike against that part of my psyche - I’m in too!!

6 Likes

Very interested. Brand new to the Octatrack. It hasn’t even been 5 days so this would be a fantastic opportunity to learn the OT in depth. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Count me in. I’m looking forward to the tasks. I really liked @sezare56’s comb filter challange.

2 Likes

So… where are we on this? Are we doing the monthly “technique” challenge? If so, can we make suggestions? I also recommend we’d keep such a list really loose and simple in order to encourage learning a new technique rather than cue frustration.

2 Likes

Currently I’m working on it, due to the differences with previous labs it is a bit of a bigger undertaking to do, so it is taking a little time, but I hope it will be worth the wait. There is a fair bit of documentation.

The problem with accepting suggestions is that it becomes very difficult to manage, and invariably loses impact and it ends up pleasing no-one.

I really would like to emphasize this point, anyone can post up science labs, monthly or otherwise, they need not impact this one or vice versa and in my opinion the more the merrier!

9 Likes

@darenager Heard! Thanks for putting in the work! Can’t wait.

2 Likes