OT Science Lab - 1 year study - who’s up for it? [LAUNCHED]

I’m not sure why I’m so hesitant to post that I’m in … I think that in the back of my mind I already decided I was, but I’ve been too fearful of failure to actually write my name down.

So, in a bold strike against that part of my psyche - I’m in too!!

6 Likes

Very interested. Brand new to the Octatrack. It hasn’t even been 5 days so this would be a fantastic opportunity to learn the OT in depth. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Count me in. I’m looking forward to the tasks. I really liked @sezare56’s comb filter challange.

2 Likes

So… where are we on this? Are we doing the monthly “technique” challenge? If so, can we make suggestions? I also recommend we’d keep such a list really loose and simple in order to encourage learning a new technique rather than cue frustration.

2 Likes

Currently I’m working on it, due to the differences with previous labs it is a bit of a bigger undertaking to do, so it is taking a little time, but I hope it will be worth the wait. There is a fair bit of documentation.

The problem with accepting suggestions is that it becomes very difficult to manage, and invariably loses impact and it ends up pleasing no-one.

I really would like to emphasize this point, anyone can post up science labs, monthly or otherwise, they need not impact this one or vice versa and in my opinion the more the merrier!

9 Likes

@darenager Heard! Thanks for putting in the work! Can’t wait.

2 Likes

I am currently in the selling house/buy new/moving mode. So OT is packed up. When I get settled back in, I too want to dig in and join this fun :+1:

2 Likes

Me too I’m in, after reading: I’m not sure why I’m so hesitant to post that I’m in … I think that in the back of my mind I already decided I was, but I’ve been too fearful of failure to actually write my name down.
That was my reasoning as well :joy:

Question @darenager , will you cover the basic/advanced functions of OT as well or is it mostly composition and arrangement from various sample sources?

An idea for the shortwave sample, maybe you could upload a 1-2 minute sample that we all could share/use?
Thanks for creating this Science lab great :bulb:

3 Likes

Challenging challenge for @darenager! :smile:
May the dark side of the OT force be with you. :wink:

1 Like

Its an OT challenge. Its never going to be easy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed. Follow your heart on this and everyone will be better off, IMO

2 Likes

I’m going to try to cover most aspects, advanced and basic so that newcomers won’t be put off, I don’t want to say too much now as it isn’t finalised yet, but I am aiming ( and hoping) that all participants will get benefit from taking part.

There will be various resources, some hints, jumping off points and info within the documentation useful from a total beginner to a OT veteran.

I apologise for taking longer than anticipated, but I figure that I’d rather do it as best I can rather than rush it.

You are most welcome and thanks to all you guys for the enthusiasm too.

19 Likes

I’ve been interested in this idea since reading the first post on the first day it was posted.

Just need to have a final check on the guidelines before committing.

Anyway, whatever happens… Big shout out to @darenager

2 Likes

Agreed, I’m in but want a final rule/time/reality check.

Exciting!!

Def in! Thanks so much for putting this together @Darenager. Will be amazing to better learn more OT magic with the whole crew here in the coming year.

1 Like

Did my own sorta science lab thing yesterday (still pretty much a beginner). Grabbed my RE20 mic and a tube pre and sang directly into my OT. Easier than I thought to structure a song by singing parts in 4 bar chunks and arranging them in OT. Lots of LFO stuff made the vocal quite odd in a way I liked

4 Likes

I’ve been working with the manual by my side and actually looking up stuff that was bugging me. All thanks to this thread so if that’s the effect before we even get going…start your engines!

1 Like

I’m in. Repurchased the OTmk2 after the underwhelming NAMM.

2 Likes

Yep, sure do want to get started :slight_smile:

1 Like

Likewise! Can’t stop thinking about it! It’s been about 10 days with the OT and i’m feeling ok with it but want some challenges to help push me :slight_smile:

4 Likes