OT Science Lab - 1 year study - 11 - More Cowbell :cb:

This is a great point. I remember making a believable 303-like sound from a high hat (I think) sample when I had a Digitakt. Now that I have an OT, I’m looking forward to the wild capabilities with limited inputs. I really want to dive deep into it. That said, I’m going to start the dive with the cowbell challenge tomorrow morning.

Cool stuff !

First I read I didn’t use resampling so I wondered how you did the chords ! :content:
And how do you change chords ?

First track after teaser test. :wink:
Too resonant* sometimes after listening but no time to go further now and next days. And I can’t wait to do the Contrete Music Radio stuff. I’ll use 4 radios.

1 bar pattern, 3 scenes, midi loopback, 5 arps playing 5 Flexs, 1 drum track, 2 master Fx tracks (recording CUE, shimmer like fx).

*Compressor not allowed ! :slightly_frowning_face:
I have to lower some resonance settings, but the track will be completely different next time with all randomized stuff I used ! :smile:

11 Likes

Tasty! - Sounds like FM synthesis in places, all from a measly cowbell!

2 Likes

:beers:
tmg-article_default_mobile

5 Likes

It is the same chord, on two tracks, one transposed by three semitones.

1 Like

Overread the no compressor allowed thing… Damn, I used one, didn’t think about that as I always use the compressor on the master. Sorry.

2 Likes

I don’t suppose that it is… but I do think that it’s cool to hear good stuff by other folks and be inspired to up your game. And I think I’m going to have to do a whole lot of upping!!

I’ve no even managed to get the sample loaded onto my OT yet and already you’re hitting out with this stuff… seriously, that’s great stuff. My cap has been well and truly doffed…

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I’ve drunk in more than a few pubs that are a bit ropier than there. That looks like the kind of place you can enjoy a light aperitif without worrying about whether some guy is going to want to punch you in the face for no apparent reason…

1 Like

This sounds so great. How did you do the shimmer FX, transposing up and reverb?

1 Like

Only the kind where everybody wins :smile:

1 Like

Thanks.
Yep, I used T7 as master (recording CUE) with reverb.
I used T8 as Neighbor but with its recorder, recording T7, Pitch 1 octave up without Timestretch, delay, with CUE send > pitched feedback. :loopy:

5 Likes

We’ve got big problem here! :smile:
I was wondering, fuck he’s much louder than me, even after normalize.
Only filter, delay, reverb.

So everyone can use compressor, or @ZaBong have to record again without compressor?
I vote for compressor for all, because cowbell is already a punition. :smile:

@darenager, you decide.

1 Like

No compressor allowed from any further entries, since @ZaBong has posted his already we will let it slide as it was unintended.

5 Likes

I am truly sorry. Somehow, that a compressor is FX escaped my attention. Still feels like I cheated now.

1 Like

@darenager is truly a just and benevolent leader! :rofl:

I spent about an hour with this challenge this morning but didn’t get to record before the family obligations began. I’ll record tonight or tomorrow morning. Managed to put together a sort of dark / acid techno groove. It’s nothing ground-breaking, but I’m blown away at what even I could do with just a cowbell sample and those few fx options. The OT is truly a wonder.

4 Likes

I’ve also chosen to start on this challenge as it’s simple enough to allow me to focus on learning how to use the OT to produce a whole track which I’ve not done before on OT. Still in the midst of it and doing my best to make notes that I’ll write up that hopefully will be of interest or even use to somebody :slight_smile:

Really appreciating the focus that this challenge is bringing - so thanks again darenager for pulling this together and others for leading the way!

4 Likes

A little delayed, but here’s my crap cowbell creation (alliteration for fun). I recorded straight off the outputs to my Zoom H1N line in. I had to turn the main outs down to -40 to avoid heavy clipping - is this normal? I can’t imagine ever having to pump the main outs up above 0. I converted to mp3 to shrink down the file size for upload. One of the side effects of this challenge is that I’ll even learn all the little things like how to record from the OT as I go along. I hope I can keep up with this as the year goes on.

14 Likes

How do you get the bass down so low? I tried pitching the sample down an octave, resampling, and pitching the new sample down, but it just turns into a click sound.